Why become a member? ×

QOTSA- I sat by the ocean

cameltoe

[quote name='D-L-B' timestamp='1376597275' post='2176728']
Not much going on with the bass tone here, to my ears. Pretty standard flumpiness.
[/quote]

That's why I like it! It sounds like the band are playing in a small room and the bassist has a far bigger rig than everyone else. The way it's mixed is awesome.

It's not a particularly hard tone to replicate to be fair, but I hardly ever hear songs mixed like this- it's more about what they haven't done than what they have. It would have been easy to chuck a grindy stingray tone in which sounds great stand-alone but ruins the song. The bass tone here makes this tune for me- maybe I should edit the thread to be 'best bass tone I've heard recently in the context of the tune'

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1376601513' post='2176823'] That's why I like it! It sounds like the band are playing in a small room and the bassist has a far bigger rig than everyone else. The way it's mixed is awesome. It's not a particularly hard tone to replicate to be fair, but I hardly ever hear songs mixed like this- it's more about what they haven't done than what they have. It would have been easy to chuck a grindy stingray tone in which sounds great stand-alone but ruins the song. The bass tone here makes this tune for me- maybe I should edit the thread to be 'best bass tone I've heard recently in the context of the tune' [/quote]excellent response, from someone with the ear of a bass player, all kudos to you, sir. :)

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1376639758' post='2177080']
I will have to give it a try then, as I was put off by a pretty damn poor appearance on Jools (IMHO).
[/quote]
I don't watch Jools that often, but I do get the impression their sound techs don't know how to mix heavy music for broadcast - rarely sounds good

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1376624772' post='2176993']
I think the album is cracking, best I've heard in a long time. I'm quite annoyed that I won't be able to catch them on tour this year. That is one of the better tracks, although 'My God is the Sun' is my particular favourite.
[/quote]
Agreed, lovely fuzz tone on that track. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90obSa1Az4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90obSa1Az4[/url]

Edited by Mog

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1376682110' post='2178088']
I thought the Jools performance was rather good.
[/quote]

Its was IMHO, however I do have to agree that after checking out about 6 tracks on Grooveshark, it is actually a damn good album (well those 6 are anyway) - so I will have to add it to my buy list.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1377686948' post='2190280']
I gave it a listen on Spotify and wasn't all that impressed. 2 or 3 tracks jumped out at me but the rest wasn't very memorable. Maybe its a grower...
[/quote]

It certainly is.

I wasn't too jazzed by it at first to be honest but it's really grown on me.
Initially I was disappointed as I look to QOTSA for a bit of a 'rawk' fix and LC is more subdued (relatively).
But, it does go much deeper than any previous QOTSA album and the textures are rich (this is Josh Hommes post-near death experience album so no wonder the guy's feeling reflective).

Anyhoo, judging by the recent concert footage on youtube, the new stuff does work well with older rawk numbers.

For those who are interested and have time, check out the QOTSAarchive on youtube. I'm subbed to it and they put up new concerts all the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLtm85Q3Yw

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect from the dead but it agree really good tone. He's a pick player and the sound he gets is very finger like on this.

It's a pick tone I'd like to achieve for some of my bands songs.How best to replicate? Tone all the way down on bass and treble cut on amp?