Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just played with a pick for the first time!

lefrash

for the 15 years I've been playing I have always been a finger player. From day one (when I wanted to be billy sheehan) I always saw playing with a pick as a bit of a 'cheat'.

I gave it a go today and aboslutely love it! I can really see me trying to incorporate it into my playing. Its such a simple change but I can just hear some of the covers stuff we do just now just sounding a bit better, especially the punkier stuff!

Any finger players out there that would never be seen playing with a pick? This is a revelation for me!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1376250832' post='2171375']
I very rarely use a pick for the sole reason I'm sh*t f***ing useless when I do. It all goes disastrously wrong when I use a pick for some reason.
[/quote]

Same for me. My hand cramps up, I miss the strings and, often, I drop the pick. Nothing a good bit of practice couldn't fix, but still...

A pick is perfectly valid. It sounds different to finger-style. Use both techniques. Plus taking up the plectrum gives you avery cheap diversion for GAS until you find the pick that's right for you.

You'll find few arguments between double bass players whether to use arco or pizz. Electric bassists should be the same. Use and enjoy all the techniques available to you.

Edited by clauster

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1376250670' post='2171373']
From day one (when I wanted to be billy sheehan) I always saw playing with a pick as a bit of a 'cheat'.
[/quote]

Why..? Any way you get your sound is valid, as far as I'm concerned.

Note: This thread will end with people saying you should use both methods when necessary and whatever's the best method for the song then that's what you should do, and so on and so forth. Twirl with me towards happiness.

Edited by discreet

I find most of the pick snobbery comes from people who can't use one, I'm not as proficient as I am with fingers but I can hold my own. In covers situations I like to throw out the idea of "my sound" and go for pick, slap, fingers etc to help get the sound for the song suitable. That said some bands can pull off doing a covers set in their style, most can't.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376251413' post='2171387']
I find most of the pick snobbery comes from people who can't use one.
[/quote]

How true. I use a pick exclusively. I just can't get the same level of accuracy, speed, control and dynamics playing fingerstyle.

I usaed to be a snob about playing with my fingers - mainly because my first bass teacher was a jazz bassist who was vehmently prejudiced against pick playing - but I have come to appreciate that there are some great pick players and it can sound really good in certain contexts . The only problem is that when I try to use a pick myself , I find it nearly impossible . I would need to do some serious practise to get up to a decent level of proficiency with one . Fingers is like second nature to me , whereas a pick just gets in the way .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1376251602' post='2171389']
How true. I use a pick exclusively. I just can't get the same level of accuracy, speed, control and dynamics playing fingerstyle.
[/quote]

I'm afraid to say i was a pick snob up until about 6 hours ago. I dont know why i was soo against it though. I really like the sound from other players with picks so I guess I just didnt have a valid reason not to use it. Its ridiculous really!

Im not planning to change my playing style completely, still gonna play fingerstyle but I'l not be afraid to experiment using a pick now. Up until today that wouldnt have even crossed my mind!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376251942' post='2171400']
I usaed to be a snob about playing with my fingers - mainly because my first bass teacher was a jazz bassist who was vehmently prejudiced against pick playing...
[/quote]

I wonder what he would have to say about Steve Swallow?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376251942' post='2171401']
The "traditional" way according to Leo Fender is to pluck with your thumb.
[/quote]

That was the idea behind the 'tug bar'. However, Leo was not a bass player.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376251942' post='2171401']
Use what you want to get the right sound and feel. As clauster says you need to find the right pick weight and material for you.
[/quote]

Essential. I use nylon .50mm Herco Gold picks, which most bass players of my acquaintance find way too flexible and way too thin.

I use an Alaska Pik which fits over the nail of my right first finger. It's a pick you can't lose or drop, and I use my thumb for quieter passages that would normally be fingered. Never got the hang of a traditional triangular pick - they always seem to boing off into the crowd.

To inject some controversy , could I say that , despite there being some very skillful pick players who I enjoy very much , there are some incredibly ham-fisted ones , too ? I see a fair few young men in bands who look like they are trying to saw their bass in half with a plectrum . I think a lot of the bad press plectrum playing gets is because it tends to be the default plucking choice of "less able " players .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1376252420' post='2171415']
I think a lot of the bad press plectrum playing gets is because it tends to be the default plucking choice of "less able" players.
[/quote]

What a good job I'm here to prove the exception to that tendency!