Why become a member? ×

Electrical Guitar Company 12 string bass

Seiously how do you even play this thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Electrical-Guitar-Company-Aluminum-Tom-Petersson-12-String-Bass-w-HSC/321143792964?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D475460448143515226%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D321143769476%26

Like any other instrument, you just need to practice. It's not that much harder than a normal bass, just a bit more pressure needed to fret the strings and slight modification of your technique to cover all 3 in the course. It helps if you are a pick player too although even that isn't essential.

Each to their own I suppose. I had an 8-string (4 octave pairs) which got a lot of use until I moved to strictly 5-string basses. Still on the lookout for a good 10-string Tune Bass to replace it.

I've also doubled up bass lines in the studio using a piccolo bass, That gives you some interesting opportunities when you drop in the odd unison or 5th interval instead of straight octaves all the time.

I've got a Waterstone Tom Petersson 12-string...it really sounds the dogs if you can control it...the secret seems to be having a pair of rigs - guitar and bass - running it through a crossover highs into the guitar side, lows into the bass side. I get a fairly decent tone running it through a small Rolls crossover, into a Sansamp and then into my amp, but straight into the amp I find the sound too ringy and unusable. I've toyed with selling it several times (there's still an old ad up on the For Sale section)...it spends more time in the spare room than it should, which is a crying shame...it just doesn't fit with anything I'm doing musically. Shame.
P

I've recently been asked to kick-start a Cheap Trick tribute band (niche market indeed) and I'm looking for an appropriate 12 string but the prices of the top end ones are too high to justify buying the one in the OP. However, on the matter of playing one... you adapt! :D

It isn't a totally foreign instrument but you can't expect to play it as you would a 4 string; flattening or rolling your fretting fingers is a must and the use of a pick does make it easier and 'helps' with tone control.

I tire somewhat of the whole neckdive argument thing and I play Thunderbirds.

Yes, the Waterstone is a tad neck heavy - it's heavy anyway - but when I do play it, I'm playing it, not throwing a JC arms wide-open stance waiting for gravity to take over. It's a very comfortable bass...I use a 3" wide Levys strap and it's fine.

Mr Warwickhunt. Shoot me a PM sir and we'll see if we can sort out a deal of some sort.
P

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1376295221' post='2171700']
Wouldn't it neck-dive rather enthusiastically? Top horn ends at the 16th fret or so and there's a lot of hardware at the money end.
[/quote]

Neck dive is mostly a matter of balance, and while having the strap button further away from the headstock than normal may not help, that isn't the whole story. I played several instruments with the strap button where convention dictates it should be (around the 12th fret) that still exhibited neck dive and so these days I'll refrain from passing judgement until I've actually tied the bass on a suitable strap for myself. Besides a decent wide strap with a grippy backing sorts out most of these issues.

It's OK...I just see 'neck' and 'dive' in threads and it get's my heckles up a bit!

The benefits of playing Thunderbirds (lack of body weight, slender neck, that tone, the uber cool shape, the magical ability of it being able to transform me into a lithe 20-something), by far outweighs any issue with diving of the neck. Most people who talk about neck dive probably haven't even touched a TB. It saddens me.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1376306128' post='2171846']
I tire somewhat of the whole neckdive argument thing and I play Thunderbirds.

[/quote]

Do you also play Captain Scarlet??? Stingray?? Fireball XL5??? ;) ;)

OK...where did I leave that coat...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1376323732' post='2172132']
The benefits of playing Thunderbirds (lack of body weight, slender neck, that tone, the uber cool shape, the magical ability of it being able to transform me into a lithe 20-something), by far outweighs any issue with diving of the neck. Most people who talk about neck dive probably haven't even touched a TB. It saddens me.
[/quote]

Oh, there are far better reasons not to play a TB than the neck dive... :D

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1376325531' post='2172169']
Do you also play Captain Scarlet??? Stingray?? Fireball XL5??? ;) ;)

OK...where did I leave that coat...
[/quote]

Theres only one bass you can play Captain Scarlett on....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs1KLZnBK-Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs1KLZnBK-Y[/url]

A Westone SPECTRUM.... in Scarlett...