Why become a member? ×

Factory Fretless Fender Precision 1979

ash

I picked this up last week in a private sale. It's all original with the exception of an extra Dimarzio Jazz pickup and the pots and switch for this. It needed some work to clean it as it looked like it had been kept in a shed for a few years or the ubiquitous 'uncle's loft'! The original case was included too - but this smells a bit like its got damp and dried out - any tips on how to get rid of that smell by the way?
The neck is beautiful and neck joint & bridge alignment is good. It is pretty heavy compared to my '74 Precision. I'm pleased with it though and plan to set it up properly with flats. Anybody else got a maple neck fretless?

That's a nice looking bass.
For your case I'm tempted to say leave it open in your garden (or anywhere outside) for a few days. As long as you keep rain off, the constant breeze will remove the smells. (That's what my mother-in-law ended up having to do when she spilt 4 pints of milk in her car).

Btw, it's a bit off-topic, but does anyone have a precision fretless with a decal saying "Imprecision bass"? I think if I ever had a p-shaped fretless, I'd need a decal like that. :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1376293449' post='2171677']

Btw, it's a bit off-topic, but does anyone have a precision fretless with a decal saying "Imprecision bass"? I think if I ever had a p-shaped fretless, I'd need a decal like that. :)
[/quote]

:lol: Very good. There's plenty of decal makers that could make you one

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1376293449' post='2171677']
That's a nice looking bass.
For your case I'm tempted to say leave it open in your garden (or anywhere outside) for a few days. As long as you keep rain off, the constant breeze will remove the smells. (That's what my mother-in-law ended up having to do when she spilt 4 pints of milk in her car).

[/quote]

I was going to make a decal with "fretless Imprecision bass" for my Black P, but never got round to it.

Here it is, next to it's little brother (which is why I made it, i like a matching pair)

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/50579126@N03/6052451359/][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/50579126@N03/6052451359/]Fretless Pbass With Strat[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/50579126@N03/]Plastic Squirrel[/url], on Flickr

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1376284313' post='2171626']

Nice, here's a picture of mine. It's a Japan only model
[/quote]

That's a nice bass, I remember seeing Sting play his at a Rock Goes to College gig I just thought the plain maple board looked so cool.
Thanks for the tips I've put it outside for a while and now its inside I put silica gel and some wood shavings in it to see if that helps. The neck on the bass is gorgeous, virtually unmarked I also love the flexibility of having a separate tone and volume control on each pickup.

I decided to give this a good clean and set up - I took the neck off and found the original matching serial sticker in the neck pocket. Amongst the usual Fender stamps I also found this signature on the neck heel in marker pen......