Why become a member? ×

I've got wood...

Merton

[quote name='Galilee' post='295325' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:35 PM']Loooooooooooooong scale.[/quote]

Yep, its a bit of a stretch down the far end! I seem to remember Dingwalls having a 37" scale, sounds scary... But I think the real stretch will be the width of the neck, as I remember its close on 51mm! (oops...)

Im kinda surprised how nice it feels round about the 7th, the angle of the fret lines feels very natural. Speaking of which, does anyone else get the urge to play guitar hero as soon as the neck is bolted on?

Anyhoo, we'll know for sure when the frets are in and the strings go on (some time in 2012)

EDIT: heres a shot from the back - before any body carving

[attachment=14158:bassback.JPG]

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='295377' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:31 PM']Anyhoo, we'll know for sure when the frets are in and the strings go on (some time in 2012)

EDIT: heres a shot from the back - before any body carving

[attachment=14158:bassback.JPG][/quote]
Is it a race between you and the Olympic stadium? :huh:

I do like the look of the neck join :)

[quote name='Merton' post='295572' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:13 PM']I do like the look of the neck join :)[/quote]

Its gonna get more carving done to it, just you wait! :huh:

EDIT: Oh, and if youre wondering why its all stripey, its cut from timber I had in the cupboard, total cost about £20.

Edited by Mikey R

• 2 months later...

Hey,

Sorry for lack of progress, Mert and I have been a little stalled on this one, Ive been kept out of my open air workshop (backyard) because of the snow :)

We were talking today about the shape. A few people (Alan included!) have said it looks a little bit Skelfish, the closed top horn does look quite a bit like the single cut Skelf. This is unintentional but I dont want to accidentally rip of another builders design.

I wanted to ask the folks here if anyone agrees and thinks I should be changing the shape?

Cheers everyone!

At first I didn't see the resemblance, then I realised I wasn't thinking of the Skelf... :)

As I've said to Mikey, yes it does bear a passing resemblance but the bridge area is different and Mikey's shape is more "angular" I think. Chunkier lower horn too.

Other opinions needed!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='skelf' post='351598' date='Dec 11 2008, 11:07 AM']Passing resemblance is right not a copy so I don't see a problem. I spoke to Mike at the bassday and said it was in the same ballpark shape wise but I didn't say stop making it or anything like that so fire away guys.
Alan[/quote]
Alan, you are a good man :) Btw, played a couple of your basses at the SE bass Bash. Amazing! Will definitely get me a Harlot one day...

[quote name='skelf' post='351598' date='Dec 11 2008, 11:07 AM']Passing resemblance is right not a copy so I don't see a problem. I spoke to Mike at the bassday and said it was in the same ballpark shape wise but I didn't say stop making it or anything like that so fire away guys.
Alan[/quote]

Cheers Alan - I picked up a load of tips that day, thanks for sharing! Youre right, if I made it curvey it would be in the Shuker ballpark, if it was big and rounded it would be in the Fedora ballpark. So theres only really so many ballparks a singlecut could be in, I like ours :)

So it seems like all positive feedback, momentary self-doubt over, so I'll stick with the original design.

Mert, you had that Citroen BX at Uni, do you see a resemblance...? :huh:

Very hard to come up with a new take on any kind of bass. I think that it is a reverse off-set means it will be compared with the Skelf as there are very few of them about at the moment I don't know of an other,I am sure there will be but I have not seen it. The top horn is along the same lines but this is because it works well with the off-set. There is still enough different for me not to be in the least bit bothered, If I thought it was a copy I would have been in touch with you about it.

[quote name='skelf' post='351760' date='Dec 11 2008, 01:50 PM']Very hard to come up with a new take on any kind of bass. I think that it is a reverse off-set means it will be compared with the Skelf as there are very few of them about at the moment I don't know of an other,I am sure there will be but I have not seen it. The top horn is along the same lines but this is because it works well with the off-set. There is still enough different for me not to be in the least bit bothered, If I thought it was a copy I would have been in touch with you about it.[/quote]

Cheers Alan!

[quote name='Merton' post='351748' date='Dec 11 2008, 01:39 PM']Now you mention it... Yes, I see! It's held together with gaffa tape! :)[/quote]

Thats just cruel :huh:

Just for that, Im not going to install any extra neck bolts - see how you like that! :huh:

Edited by Mikey R

• 2 weeks later...

More pics, shamelessly nicked from Mikey's TB thread on the prototype build!

(These pics are of the prototype, not mine)...

[attachment=17690:volute.jpg]

[attachment=17687:fretting.jpg]

[attachment=17686:frets_trussrod.jpg]

[attachment=17689:proto_headstock.jpg]

[attachment=17688:proto_fretted.jpg]

Whooop!

That looks gorgeous Merton. I love how the fanned fretting is just so subtle. I find that the Dingwall-style fanning is just too extreme and starts to look ugly. I'm hoping to get a similar effect with my custom bass.

Great to see more progress shots, keep them coming :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364252' date='Dec 27 2008, 04:16 PM']looking good, i like the truss rod wheel hole there, pretty cool idea![/quote]

Cheers! - but its caused problems so its unlikely I'll be doing that on Mertons bass, with the angled frets and maple board I think it doesnt leave enough wood :)

Merton, wat do you think?

Oddly enough, it seems to be the aspect of this bass most people dont like!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='364252' date='Dec 27 2008, 04:16 PM']Also, i think your bass is effing gorgeous d-basser![/quote]

Totally - its very difficult to come up with a design that looks good with a slanted bridge, Dingwalls get it just right!

Edited by Mikey R

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Merton' post='361738' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:58 AM'][attachment=17688:proto_fretted.jpg][/quote]
Interesting. The zero-fan point (where fret is perpendicular to neck centreline) appears to be lower down the neck than I might have expected.

I would have thought that near the nut your fingering could accommodate an extreme fret angle easily, because with the big gap you could still move your fingers easily back and forth across the neck perpendicularly, as they're used to. Whereas at the top end an extreme angle affects your learned muscle memory much more, because of the narrow fret spacing.

Just a random thought on seeing your photos ... haven't compared to a photo of a dingwall yet.

And I'm not really sure why I'm commenting on this thread at all ... I usually play fretless ... and I can't muster any enthusiasm for the concept of a fan-fret fretless ;)

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='387504' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:49 PM']And I'm not really sure why I'm commenting on this thread at all ... I usually play fretless ... and I can't muster any enthusiasm for the concept of a fan-fret fretless ;)

Andy[/quote]

This isn't for you then?

Hi Andy,

Yeah, Dingwalls are normally parallel fret at 7, we've gone for parallel fret at 3 just to be different.

A fanned-fretless would be awesome but I think my brain would f**k it right up!

Mikey did the wood buying for my actual bass at the weekend, hoping to make a start on it in a few weeks once the wood has settled at his house. From Mikey's email to me:

[quote]As agreed, body is hard ash caps top and back, over a poplar core, with walnut accent lines and go-faster stripes. Rather than being 3 pieces of ash on the back, Im planning on making it 4 with a central seam. This way, all of the grain lines on the back will be coming out from a central point. If I get the glue line invisible, it should look rather nice ;o)

Ive had a rethink of the neck... (snip)... Ive got a slice of darker ash that we can use as a center lam, so it would go walnut-ash-dark ash-ash-walnut, with some artistic use of veneers to make pinstripes between the ash lams.[/quote]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='387510' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:56 PM']This isn't for you then?[/quote]
Aesthetics aside ... no. I'm sure that even if I could find the required amount of time to adapt muscle memory to playing one of those, then by that time I'd be screwed for playing ordinary fretlesses .... and I'm not going to go fan-fret on my 3 main basses (all fretless).

Really pedantic answer ... sorry ... that was a very nice bass you posted.