Why become a member? ×

I've got wood...

Merton

[quote name='Merton' post='497058' date='May 25 2009, 08:10 AM']Mikey, that sounds awesome, just how I was hoping (and expecting?) it to sound. Soo excited :)[/quote]

Ha, nows the tricky part. I have no idea what aspect of the construction makes it sound like that! It could be any of these:

* The overwide, overthick neck;
* The strange choice of neck material;
* Placement of pickups;
* Choice of pickups (cheapo ebay);
* The coice of (very heavy and hard) body material;
* New strings?

Or any of a number of other factors I havent even thought of?

But more importantly, how do I recreate a similar souding bass with the changes to specs and materials we are planning? Hmm. Suppose its all guesswork till after its finished!

[quote name='Mikey R' post='497159' date='May 25 2009, 11:11 AM']Ha, nows the tricky part. I have no idea what aspect of the construction makes it sound like that! It could be any of these:

* The overwide, overthick neck;
* The strange choice of neck material;
* Placement of pickups;
* Choice of pickups (cheapo ebay);
* The coice of (very heavy and hard) body material;
* New strings?

Or any of a number of other factors I havent even thought of?

But more importantly, how do I recreate a similar souding bass with the changes to specs and materials we are planning? Hmm. Suppose its all guesswork till after its finished![/quote]
Indeed, I was thinking the same thing immediately after I posted. Are the strings the Status ones I sent up to you?

I guess all your points above, save for the picukup placement, will change on the basses you build for me and you after this one (though even the PUps will move by a few mm coz of their different dimensions...)

Hmmm.

Guesswork is what makes this fun :)

[quote name='Merton' post='497350' date='May 25 2009, 04:09 PM']Indeed, I was thinking the same thing immediately after I posted. Are the strings the Status ones I sent up to you?[/quote]

When did you send them? Ive not recieved anything...? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Mikey R' post='499777' date='May 28 2009, 12:44 PM']Heres some photos taken by my brother last weekend:

[/quote]

ooooh, that's one MEAN lookin' Moth-hair Focker! If you get another one built, I think it'd look epic with ebony fingerboard, sprayed translucent black with black hardware and black strings :ph34r:

[quote name='peted' post='534527' date='Jul 7 2009, 11:24 AM']Very nice indeed! I knew that yours would be ready well in advance of my Shuker :) More photos and sound samples please![/quote]
This one isn't mine, it's the prototype, so you're still in the lead! :rolleyes: Mine has the neck being laminated at the moment but no further on than that cos Mikey's waiting to see what (if anything) I want to change based on playing this. The three changes already decided upon are that mine and his will have a narrower, thinner neck than the proto, the body will be slightly larger, and the fan will change slightly to have a parallel 4th fret rather than 3rd fret....

Edited by Merton

I started packing up the prototype for sending to Merton tomorrow.

Small body size fits a standard bass hardcase.

I brough back some packing material from work.

Ok, seriously, how much bubble wrap can one hardcase fit in?

At this point I realised what a parent feels like on the first day of school :) I nearly had a tearful moment.

Will be with the courier tomorrow, and hopefully with Merton on Tuesday. :rolleyes:

Time for pizza!

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Merton' post='537426' date='Jul 10 2009, 07:09 PM']Oh Mikey you are a star! I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for this baby :) PM me so I can sort out the monies...[/quote]

Sent, will be with you Wednesday at the latest :rolleyes: Enjoy!

We'll square up next time your up norf.

That wasn't me playing the bass, that was my colleague Phil! We don't look that similar do we??

Love it Mikey, can't wait to plug it in and gig it on Saturday.

And, (hush hush), I think I quite like the fat neck. Sorry.*

*let me gig it on Saturday before I give this comment 100% credence.

[quote name='Merton' post='541256' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:15 PM']And, (hush hush), I think I quite like the fat neck. Sorry.*

*let me gig it on Saturday before I give this comment 100% credence.[/quote]

Just play it for half and hour and tell me if you still like it...

OK, here's a very short review, as I've only had 5 minutes at lunch and 10 minutes just now of playing with this - the real test is still on Saturday - but two words:

FECKING AWESOME.

Mikey, honestly I don't want to rave too much but if this is your first attempt then in years to come Jon Shuker, Mike Iceni, Robbie MacIntosh and Alan Crignan (sp?) et al will have a hell of a competitor. This is all based on playing this thing acoustically. It is sooo easy to play, the notes fall under my hand beautifully and the fanned fret is just not an issue at all. The wood, albeit cheap, sings really nicely and the bass speaks nicely from the very bottom to the very top of its range. Top work buddy!

As I said before, I can't wait to plug it in, but I, and everyone here, has got to remember this proto has cheap ebay pickups whereas mine will have custom wound Wizard 84s for the series/parallel switching so will sound mighty different even before the wood difference are taken into account. Exciting times :)