Why become a member? ×

I've got wood...

Merton

• 4 weeks later...

Mikey has been hard at work this weekend. He made the neck pocket jig:

Then he put the neck IN the neck pocket. Seems obvious really :lol:

The fit is so tight the neck and body stay as one through friction alone. That's pretty accurate if you ask me :)

Back view showing oversized headstock, to be cut to size in time

The front, showing the bit of lower horn still to be cut out. This was left in while routing the neck pocket to give support to my rather heavy router. This will look way cooler when the paper is off the fingerboard, but Mikey's leaving it on as there's still some evidence of a centre line drawn on.

Getting there - there's still a bit of shadow at the join, which means the neck is not quite touching the body over the whole length of the pocket. Not sure I know how Mikey will sort that, but I guess he does :o

Even more excited than last time, especially as I will have an exciting new Eden head to play it through :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

More pics:

Walnut shim under the neck to raise the fingerboard and add a slight angle to the neck.

Mikey: "Gratuitous laminate shot. I've finished up tidying up the outline with the router, after scaring myself with the 2" router bit, bottling out and finishing up with the shorter bits. :)"

When the fingerboard is cambered and the edge of the fingerboard is carved this will look very different.

And finally, with her big sister: