Why become a member? ×

"Otter" ABG by Brook Guitars

franzbassist

Not exactly a build diary, as this bass will be finished in the next month or so, but I thought folks might like to see my "Otter" bass being made by Brook Guitars in darkest Devon.

It's the first 5 string they've built, with neck profile the same as my Ken Smith BMT. Top is spruce with Myrtle sides and back.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='215542' date='Jun 9 2008, 04:42 PM']ooh ya fighter. I was looking at Brook guitars when I was looking at buying a top end acoustic guitar - these were way way out of my price range, but looked like bloody lovely. I hope they play/look as nice as they sound. Fretted I take it? Are you having a pickup fitted?[/quote]

Yep, fretted indeed. Toyed with fretless and banjo frets as options, but in the end figured fretted was the best option. And yes it will have a pickup; latest version of the Snake by Headway. No frills.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='walbassist' post='219850' date='Jun 16 2008, 02:05 PM']Just heard the ETA on the bass is 20 July![/quote]

At least it was due then. I've just heard from Brook that there will be a delay. :)

New pictures though....

Nice shape to the bridge

Fantastic myrtle back and sides

[quote name='bnt' post='240097' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:52 PM']Have you thought about the strings - gauge, Lo B vs Hi C, etc? It may take a bit of looking to find the right 5-string acoustic set for you (I imagine).[/quote]

Brook use Elixir as standard and I'm more than happy with that. The bass will sport a low B as it'll be used plugged in most of the time so unplugged volume will not be an issue.

Edited by walbassist

• 1 month later...

I'm drooling at the wood grain. The couple of issues I've had with ABG's is that the examples I've tried can't compete with acoustic guitars for volume and they tend to lose a lot of sustain up the dusty end of the neck. How do you think your Brook instrument will measure up on these aspects?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='277208' date='Sep 4 2008, 05:00 PM']I'm drooling at the wood grain. The couple of issues I've had with ABG's is that the examples I've tried can't compete with acoustic guitars for volume and they tend to lose a lot of sustain up the dusty end of the neck. How do you think your Brook instrument will measure up on these aspects?[/quote]

We shall know tomorrow CK! This is the first 5 string Brook have made so they were actually more worried about the low B, which as I said above isn't such as issue for me, as this bass will, ironically, mainly be used plugged in.

Speaking to Simon today he's really pleased with the bass. We went for a deeper body than they use for their 4 string ABGs, one of which I have played and was wonderful, but not by much. Apparently the bass has very good projection and shape to the notes, and is also very even around the fingerboard.

The Otter has landed, safe and sound, and perfectly in tune!

And wow, what a stunning bass. I am so happy with it. It's just the most beautiful thing. They carved the neck perfectly, the string spacing is right on, and the b string is very strong. The tone across the bass is wonderful and chords really ring out.

The combination of woods is really classy, and I love the headstock. Sublime.

I'll try and get some pictures later.

:)

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='279593' date='Sep 8 2008, 12:05 PM']Stunning bass! How wide is it at the nut?[/quote]

The neck and string spacing mirrors my Ken Smith bass, which is really comfortable. So the measurements are:

String Spacing: 9mm at the nut, 18mm at the bridge
Fingerboard Width: 1 3/4" at the nut, 3" at the 24th Fret

And thanks for the compliments guys, I have to admit the bass has surpassed my expectations. It's beautifully put together and sounds amazing.