Why become a member? ×

Those modern player jazz basses...what are they like?

Billy Dowdall

Hey everybody! I'm in a bit of a dilemma,

It's about time I treat myself to a new bass and I thought i was 100% going to go for a 5 string fender standard jazz bass MIM but i've just seen one of those Modern player jazz bass's and they do a 5 string version for about £200 cheaper and it SEEMS to have everything going for it. They look fantastic, has humbucker pickups that seem like they're of decent quality, not a bad construction (looks like it wouldn't feel cheap or anything but that are made in china so you can never be to sure). I would usually get on a train to manchester and go try it out buy i can't find anywhere with it in stock!

So my question is, weighing up the price difference of the basses, which bass would you buy?

Also feel free to throw any other basses into the mix I might not have thought of! I have about a £600 budget : )

Cheers guys!

I've got one and I love it. Mind you, it's my first bass for nearly 40 years so I am possibly not be the best person to ask. I bought it from Dawsons just before the price went up in March. It's a 4 string and not one of the latest ones which I think are a bit cheaper.

What I can say us that there are no problems with quality. It is really well put together and is good quality. Don't be put off by the Made In China tag. I have 3 Chinese built telescopes as well and they are all high quality precision instruments, as is my jazz.

Oh, and it sounds great.

Edited by great harry

I've tried a couple in Dawsons Liverpool, the old MP and the new one with trussrod adjustment at the body end and a selectable coil-tap for the pickups... both were lovely basses, had the potential to play very well. I hate the look of those pickups though... Not seen the 5-er yet but it would be great judging by the rest of the MP series- I owned a Telebass and it was lovely, and a mate of mine has the Jaguar and it's a great bit of kit, puts the mexican stuff to shame

I haven't tried one but I love the look of the trans black one. However Fender have put me off with "[color=#333333][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]The Modern Player series continues that great my-first-Fender tradition" I've already got a Fender so feel like I'd be downgrading to get one. Know what I mean?[/font][/color]

I have a Modern Player Jazz and do like it a lot. Every Modern Player I have tried, be it a bass or guitar, has been good. Finishing on the frets has been great and good tones are easily accessible. My only issue is the high gloss neck finish which feels plasticky to me after playing my MIMs, but some people prefer that kind of finish.

You should look at the Yamaha BB425x. Around £400 new or you could get the BB1025x (the next model up - better pups, better materials etc) second hand. P/J config and ultra-versatile. I used to be a Fender fanboy and got my head turned by the new BB's. Great quality basses!

More usefully perhaps I found the MP basses to be more or less exactly the same quality as the MIM basses. I have owned a 5 string jazz from both ranges. I preferred the tone of the MP but for some reason found the MIM more comfy to play.

Truckstop

[size=4]I tried a modern player jazz in my local music shop and i was VERY iimpressed with it, double humbuckers, nice fast neck, lovely sounds from the pups and for the money, i think it was a little over £400, it was a good bass.[/size]
[size=4]The only downside was the finish, it's like a plastic coating instead of 'paint'. Nothing wrong with it and if thats the only thing stopping you then its a small detail but i didn't like it, my hand was sticking and it felt cheap because of it.[/size]
[size=4]But as sound, function and 'fit' goes it was a very nice bass.[/size]

[size=4]btw it was a white with black guard finish.[/size]

[quote name='Billy Dowdall' timestamp='1373925651' post='2143368']
on paper it's perfect for the style of music I player but I just hate the look of it! I might grow to love it though.... I'm really considering the modern player though. It's £200 odd cheaper and very similar specs to the MIM one!
[/quote]

[quote name='Billy Dowdall' timestamp='1373925651' post='2143368']
on paper it's perfect for the style of music I player but I just hate the look of it! I might grow to love it though.... I'm really considering the modern player though. It's £200 odd cheaper and very similar specs to the MIM one!
[/quote]

That's a shame, but I know what you mean; you could of course add a jazz bass style after-market pickguard which would look sexy.

Unfortunately it would have to be a custom pickguard, but I'm sure The Bass Doc on here could knock one up.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1374313185' post='2147426']
I really like mine!

[attachment=139476:mats suzuki mp jazz bmx 012.jpg]
[/quote]

Very nice! I've got the transparent black one (it was the last one i could find anywhere before the price hike) but yours looks the dogs b*ll*x.

When I was last in london I tried a whole range of (mostly) fender basses, and at under £800 one of the ones that I got on with the most was the fender modern player jaguar, beautiful to play, had a great sound, ugly as hell.
If it wasn't for the last bit I would have one now (but I got the squire fretless).

I like the look of the new satin finished ones. It seems a lot of bass for £364 and the 4 position switch looks cool. I wouldn`t worry about the fact that it`s made in China. You don`t hear many complaints about the CV model.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1374403077' post='2148308']
I like the look of the new satin finished ones. It seems a lot of bass for £364 and the 4 position switch looks cool. I wouldn`t worry about the fact that it`s made in China. You don`t hear many complaints about the CV model.
[/quote]
Merchant City Music have a beautiful smokey burst one!

Quite impressed by it up close when I was in.

Here's a demo vid, courtesy of GAK. I do like the sound of this and the ability to coil-tap the pickups. For that price, it's a bargain! The only other Modern Player I've owned was the TB bass, which I couldn't fault for construction, finish etc. Just sounded a bit too muddy for my tastes, in the end.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqkTNQkz_so"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqkTNQkz_so[/url]

Edited by Green Alsatian