Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a bass fuzz

risingson

A very quick one, and a topic I'm sure covered a gazillion times before but I'm after a Paul McCartney style Vox Tonebender Fuzz sound that isn't going to require me spending a complete fortune. I'm thinking nice germanium sounds if possible but I'm open to ideas. I'm a bit out of the loop regarding pedals right now (excuse the pun) so I'd like to hear some good opinions! Cheers.

Edited by risingson

Team Awesome Fuzz Machine! Great for squelchy vintage sounding fuzz with bags of low end. Can also do raspy gated synthy fuzz too, but I use mine at mellower settings.

Not really a Tonebender but might sound close to what you're looking for - if you post a youtube clip of any particular sound you're after that would help.

Edited by dannybuoy

Guest FretNoMore

Not a fuzz user myself so I can't recommend one, but interested in suggestions ... just thought I'd say the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe doesn't seem to get much love over on TB. Apparently you can't get to unity gain without blending in dry, and people think it gets a bit lost in the mix.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1374487381' post='2149157']
Oh, and how could I forget! One of my favourite pedal makers has a Tonebender on the go! I only have a couple of his pedals (a 'Rams Head' Muff and a Super Fuzz), but I really dig the plain vibe of his boxes... [url="http://north-effects.co.uk/mk-ii"]http://north-effects.co.uk/mk-ii[/url]
[/quote]

That sounds and looks excellent. Have you tried one out before? Any low end loss at all?

EDIT - never mind, impulsively I just bought one. I'm dangerous with money.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1374515981' post='2149614']
I had a ehx bass big muff pi and that was pretty good. Not sure if that's your thing but I thought it sounded fat and fuzzy

Next would be boss fz5 with clean blend
[/quote]

I've had the Bass Big Muff before, nice but not vintage-sounding to my ears. I've just taken a punt on a North Effects Mk II, thank you to Jus Lukin for the recommendation!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1374516987' post='2149630']
I nearly missed the edit there! I haven't tried one, unfortunately, so I can't vouch for the low end- I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it though! ;)

I'm certainly very pleased with the couple I do have.
[/quote]

It's not such a problem if it is a bit lossy to be honest. I just wanted to make our guitar player jealous and see if I could out-fuzz him! I'll let you know how I get on.

• 4 weeks later...