Why become a member? ×

Comfort Tuning...

Josh

It's just that last night I tuned half a step down and was in the midst of working out John Legends "Get Lifted" album, and for some reason I just felt comfortable, the songs can be played in standard quite happily, but the strings felt a bit looser and my right hand felt more relaxed, as did my left, and I haven't been that comfortable for a good while.

Just wondering if its the same for anyone else.

Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='215003' date='Jun 8 2008, 05:52 PM']It's just that last night I tuned half a step down and was in the midst of working out John Legends "Get Lifted" album, and for some reason I just felt comfortable, the songs can be played in standard quite happily, but the strings felt a bit looser and my right hand felt more relaxed, as did my left, and I haven't been that comfortable for a good while.

Just wondering if its the same for anyone else.[/quote]

I'd say so - what you're observing is more or less equivalent to having a lighter gauge of string on the bass, i.e. the tension doesn't have to be as high to get to the required pitch.

You'd notice a similar thing going from strings set with a high action to strings with a lower action as well - it seems like you are flying over the bass!

The only problem is that I find the feeling to be fairly short lived - pretty soon what I think of as relaxed and loose becomes "normal", and to get the effect back you'd have to downtune again, or use an even lighter gauge of string, or lower the action again...

Jennifer

A lot of people tune down for that reason - I love the feel of a drop-tuned E string. When I flip the hip-shot down to D, it's not just the note that shifts, the whole vibe changes in a way that doesn't happen when you play a low D on a 5 string... something to do with the bass resonates.

Steve

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='215120' date='Jun 8 2008, 09:29 PM']I find rotosound flats ridiculously tight...[/quote]

Is there a reason why you're using them then?

There's plenty of good-sounding lower tension flats.

Personally I think Rotosound flats are quite possibly the nastiest strings you could put on a bass, and responsible for putting me off so many fretless basses. My fretless Gus arrived with them fitted (Simon who makes Gus Guitars has some sort of deal with Rotosound). They lasted less than a week before I couldn't stand them anymore.

I pretty much always play tuned flat, I like the more pliable tension and hey, it is a bit deeper...

I also use a capo like you were thinking Paul, you can get bass specific ones but the normal Jim Dunlop one fits my bass very snugly.

ped

I have to tune down for my covers band, loads of players do it and there's nowt wrong with it. I'm happier with standard tuning because I prefer the tension but not bothered in losing a bit when I tune down.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='215140' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:24 PM']Is there a reason why you're using them then?

There's plenty of good-sounding lower tension flats.[/quote]
finding the ones you like is a pain when they cost so much...

I like the sound of the Rotosound flats, and I like the feel under my finger tips, I just don't like the tension under my fretting hand.

I hate having to tune down, i find i prefer thr tighter tension in terms of feel and tone, also i tend to do my set ups tuned standard so the action is affected when i tune down, i should just set one of em up to be downtuned really like i did when i played full step tuned down heavy metal.

Edited by gafbass02

I tune my guitars to E flat, because you get 'that sound.' Loads of bands do it and it's on a lot of classic (rock) albums: Hendrix, Appetite..., Alice in Chains, Extreme. It also makes solos easier ^_^

Bass in my band however, is in standard tuning.

If you like the lighter feel, use lighter gauge strings. As I recall, the ones I currently use on my six string are 120 - 95 - 75 - 55 - 35 - 25, which are very low tension but give me a sound I am happy with.

Wulf

[quote name='wulf' post='215261' date='Jun 9 2008, 10:12 AM']If you like the lighter feel, use lighter gauge strings. As I recall, the ones I currently use on my six string are 120 - 95 - 75 - 55 - 35 - 25, which are very low tension but give me a sound I am happy with.

Wulf[/quote]

I've tried lighter gauges before and found them to be to light, lacking in tone and just generally don't feel right, the set I'm using now are the perfect gauge and now tuned down half a step they feel that bit more perfect.

[quote name='ped' post='215142' date='Jun 8 2008, 10:30 PM']I pretty much always play tuned flat, I like the more pliable tension and hey, it is a bit deeper...

I also use a capo like you were thinking Paul, you can get bass specific ones but the normal Jim Dunlop one fits my bass very snugly.

ped[/quote]

Ah!
So [i]that's[/i] why your S2 felt so "supple" at the bash!
I'd attributed it to the lighter gauge strings and graphite neck!

It strikes me that Warwicks, love them or hate them, feel "softer" for a given gauge than most basses. I reckon that's down to the extremely shallow break angle at both ends. The said angle is primarily achieved from the use of the 2 piece bridge, which extends the ball-end to saddle distance (compared to a 1-piece bridge) and the slanted headstock.
Isn't 13 degrees the magic number? Just about holds the strings in the nut slots/saddles, but keeps the tension down... Assuming that you find relatively low tension a desirable trait!

Hehe actually alex at the bash my vig 4's were both in DADG and the 5 string was BEADG(all flat). Actually I am not sure about the 5 string because Luke had it then.

If I go flat accross the range on my 4 it is a little TOO loose, I use light strings anyway (40/95) and my action is pretty stupidly low with zero relief on the neck. DADG however just feels right, the low D in particular just resonates and growls beatifully. I think there is definitely something in the idea that some basses resonate better in different tunings.

I play everything in DADG now as I am so used to it, and having a couple of extra notes is nice. Strangely I ALWAYS have my 5 stringers tuned flat all the way up.

Josh - I think you are right that dropping tuning slightly affects the string feeling differently to changing a gauge. At the end of the day it is all about feel.

I wonder about the break angle theory - surely whatever happens after the nut/bridge wont affect the 'speaking length' of the string - or will it?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='216086' date='Jun 10 2008, 12:40 PM']Hehe actually alex at the bash my vig 4's were both in DADG and the 5 string was BEADG(all flat). Actually I am not sure about the 5 string because Luke had it then.

If I go flat accross the range on my 4 it is a little TOO loose, I use light strings anyway (40/95) and my action is pretty stupidly low with zero relief on the neck. DADG however just feels right, the low D in particular just resonates and growls beatifully. I think there is definitely something in the idea that some basses resonate better in different tunings.

I play everything in DADG now as I am so used to it, and having a couple of extra notes is nice. Strangely I ALWAYS have my 5 stringers tuned flat all the way up.

Josh - I think you are right that dropping tuning slightly affects the string feeling differently to changing a gauge. At the end of the day it is all about feel.

I wonder about the break angle theory - surely whatever happens after the nut/bridge wont affect the 'speaking length' of the string - or will it?

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Your right Ped Sir!

In fact, after reading a BP article about Dante Nolen today, in which he goes on about his Hip-Hop & Gospel playing, and in paticular he mentions about tuning down a full step to achieve a "Sub-Sonic" tone (Which he admits to borrowing from Andrew Gouche), which I've now given a try and I'll be honest, I'm loving it!

It's also a good way to train my transposing and also my scales and modes are getting a good look-in as well.

I feel I might do as you've done Ped, I might just leave my bass in this tuning.

P.S. Found the same article here:

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/dante-nolen/jan-07/25314"]Dante Nolen[/url]

Edited by Josh

Great stuff! I did however suffer one of the pitfalls of having lots of basses tuned in various ways recently - when practicing my 'set' for the London Guitar Show I had to change the way a lot of the songs were played which actually made them difficult to play and some impossible. As it was I had to drop my D string to Dflat mid song in a 10 second gap and play Dflat ADG and so forth, but nearly everything new of mine is played in dropped D now so hopefully I am over that!

Tune it, groove it and stick with it!

Cheers
ped

Interesting article too. I see where he is coming from with a 'thin' bass sound to poke through an otherwise bottom end saturated hip-hop mix. I bet with the low tuning that makes for quite an individual sound.

[quote name='ped' post='216346' date='Jun 10 2008, 06:08 PM']Interesting article too. I see where he is coming from with a 'thin' bass sound to poke through an otherwise bottom end saturated hip-hop mix. I bet with the low tuning that makes for quite an individual sound.[/quote]

Well it's widely debated throughout Warwick players that Warwicks somehow become more growly when tuned lower, and I'm now one to agree with the myth. I had a listen to a few of his tracks on his Myspace before trying:

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=66439996"]Listen to HipHopClassics-Live, not my kind of Hip-Hop but his playing makes it more accessible.[/url]

And now my tone is very near that, obviously a good bit of his tone is the MTD but still I'm liking what I'm hearing from my Eden.