Why become a member? ×

Fender P Bass ?

The Hat

I'm a beginner and have a decent enough SGC Nanyo 4 string but am yearning for a P bass but not sure which to go for for as there are so many that seem to differ by year etc.
What's considered to be a pretty good all round Fender P Bass that's not gonna cost the earth ?

This would do you very nicely and is still available... as of 17:20 today:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211485-squier-classic-vibe-precision-fiesta-red/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211485-squier-classic-vibe-precision-fiesta-red/[/url]

£300 less than your max budget, too. :)

Get out and try as many as you can.................I say this because there's a hell of a difference between
a nanyo and any fender (I owned an early sb301), the necks are slimmer/faster and they 'usually' don't weight as much as your bog standard precision.
If your heart is set on a precision I'd still advise to try as many as possible before you settle on any.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1373216123' post='2134833']
Bagsie, might be worth a trip over when I get back from me hols
[/quote]

Not a problem sir - I'll be taking it to rehearsal on Wednesday which will cement in my mind whether or not I'll be wanting to keep it.

By all means, drop me a line when you are back and at the very least you can have a play on a Japanese example to help you decide what you are looking for.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1373210444' post='2134724']
I'm a beginner and have a decent enough SGC Nanyo 4 string but am yearning for a P bass but not sure which to go for for as there are so many that seem to differ by year etc.
What's considered to be a pretty good all round Fender P Bass that's not gonna cost the earth ?
[/quote]

Have you played a couple of P basses yet ? "proper" P bass necks are wide, thick and chunky. Many folks do not get on with them. However, there are alternatives with slimmer necks. Go to a shop or two and play a couple if you haven't already.
For £500 you could pick up a used USA Std Precision, which will hold it's value and should (I say should!) play really nicely.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1373226694' post='2135092']If a P bass has a chunkier neck would that be unfriendly in a beginners hands?[/quote]
Not necessarily. :)
[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1373226694' post='2135092']Oh, and I do fully intend to try a few first.[/quote]
Good idea. Or you may end up disappointed. Or at least inconvenienced. ;)

Another vote for a Squier CVP. Its very good value for money (especially compared to the standard MIM basses), and has a very nice neck. These have vintage frets, not all basses do, and certainly not a lot at this price point.

They do feel very different to, say a Lakland BG or even a Fender MIA/MIM I much prefer the CV neck over the more expensive ones. Its a good idea to try them, but be aware you dont have to spend the full £500 to get a good bass.