Why become a member? ×

D'Addario half rounds

paul_5

Anybody got any experience of these?

http://www.daddario.com/dadproductfamily.page?activeid=3768&familyid=17

I'm only asking because roundwounds are eating away at my fretless fingerboard at a rate of knots. I'd rather not reduce my playing, but I'm not keen to fit a new board either...

I have used D'addario halfrounds. They give a good tone but like a lot of halfrounds are quite sticky to begin with. Of all the halfwounds I have tried [url="http://status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]Status Hotwires[/url] are the least sticky. Their tone lasts for ages as well. There's always Thomastik Jazz Flats (JF344) which give a similar tone and are as smooth as the baby's proverbial.

Edited by BassBus

I have strung with d'Addario ENR71 half rounds recently - I came from flats (Chromes) and these seem quite sticky and quite rough (compared with the flats)...they certainly have some twang when compared with the flats - time will tell....

Have tried loads of halfwounds / groundwounds and decided for me it was between the Hotwires and the D'Addarios.

The Hotwires seem to have a bassier tone with more fundamental but can maybe sound a little dark on some basses.

The D'Addarios seem brighter but don't seem to last very long.

I think they're horrible and I'm amazed they're still around. They were meant to be the best of both words -- the brightness of rounds and the smoothness of flats. But they're actually the worst of both worlds. They aren't really bright and they aren't really smooth. In fact, they have a "drag" about them. They feel rough. If you want a less zingy sound that can still be used for slap and are easier on the frets, go with Nickel rounds.

I like Status half wounds on my fretted Jazz but I only like my fretless with rounds. I take it in and get the fretboard sanded every 3 - 5 years which seems a small price to pay for the sound I want.

I agree with most people here. IMO the D'Addarios tend to be a bit too dull sounding and feel very sticky, which I guess is burrs left by the grinding process.
Have since gone to the Status Hotwire half rounds; they are a bit brighter in tone and feel nice and smooth. They suit me far better, and are very reasonably priced (£25 for a set of five).

Contrary to popular opinion (so it seems), I much prefer the D'Addarios to the Statuses - I think they have a lot more ooomph and the stickiness settles down after a while - I found the Statuses a bit weak tbh. Having said that, the tunebass fretless that I use them on is piezo only so maybe they just happen to suit the pickups. The Rotosound pressure wound are a pretty good option too. The only real way to tell though is to try them all....