Why become a member? ×

This girl bassist is toned!

cloudburst

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372705405' post='2128912']

Ouch! Calling Spacechick, Bluejay, Evil Undead! :lol:
[/quote]

Sweetheart I wouldn't lower myself to his level ;)

And good job us women who do play bass do it for the love of the instrument and not to try and be "alluring" to men. Couldn't give a rats arse if blokes fancy me because I hold a bass.... I do care if I can get their feet tapping to the groove.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372706168' post='2128933']

And good job us women who do play bass do it for the love of the instrument and not to try and be "alluring" to men. Couldn't give a rats arse if blokes fancy me because I hold a bass.... I do care if I can get their feet tapping to the groove.
[/quote]
Well said!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372706168' post='2128933']

[/quote]

Steady on now , don't shoot the messenger ! It's not of my making , but the plain fact is that not many women play bass . Far more women will be cooking and cleaning tonight that practising scales on their Fender Precision Bass . There has to be reasons for that . Maybe a lot of the more advanced techniques on bass require a ***** . Maybe that's why the call it " slapping "? :lol:

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1372688202' post='2128568']
Aaaaaaargh.
Not what I wanted to hear.
Yet exactly what I wanted to hear.
Chequebook well and truly OUT. Hit me with your Wals any prospective ex-Wal-owners.

CB
[/quote]

I think there may have been some irony in that post, especially given the recent discussion on the Wal sound. It certainly doesn't sound much like a Wal to me, but it does sound like a $$ with some compression to smooth out the playing. Big humbucker sound, some bite but no sharp treble frequencies.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1372708216' post='2128991']
I think there may have been some irony in that post, especially given the recent discussion on the Wal sound. It certainly doesn't sound much like a Wal to me, but it does sound like a $$ with some compression to smooth out the playing. Big humbucker sound, some bite but no sharp treble frequencies.
[/quote]
Mmmmm, just a little bit of irony lol!

It does sound good though.

IMHO:
To me it sounds essentially like my active RockBass Corvette, though of course with some of the metallic clang filtered out.
And yes, the difference between the sound of such a Corvette and the Bongo HH is not that enormous, and way less than the price difference might lead one to believe.

That said, the Bongo's 4EQ is of another world, and I'd never ever do away with it and keep just the Corvette. The other way round though is a no brainer to me (though I hope to keep the Corvette).

best,
bert

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372708147' post='2128986']
Maybe a lot of the more advanced techniques on bass require a ***** . Maybe that's why the call it " slapping "? :lol:
[/quote]

I think basschats very own Mamayo may have a difference of opinion there ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqzCC-lCm3E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372704361' post='2128877']
I agree , too . Time and again on this site people ( males ) go daft over any half - decent looking woman who happens to play the bass . Have they never seen a woman before ? More's to the point , why would them having a bass in their hands make them so irresistable ? I would be seriously put off any girl who played the bass - it's just not very alluring. I like to see a woman with a hoover or a saucepan in her hands rather than a bass , then I know she is in her element and I feel happy for her .
[/quote]

I really hope you're joking. The message you are sending in your posts in this thread are pretty embarrassing - I mean, talk about making women feel unwelcome. Come on, the discussion is about bass tone.

Everyone is joking.
Dingus is joking about the girl thing. I mean...Gail Ann Dorsey...need I say more?
White Cloud was joking with me about Wals.
But I wasn't joking about having the chequebook out to buy a Wal...
...until I realised I was being had.

.....so anyway...

I played through this bassline note for note and was able to get fairly close to the tone with my Bongo and just a forest green compressor.
Tomorrow night I'll see how close I can get with the XL-2.

CB

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1372711631' post='2129093']
I really hope you're joking. The message you are sending in your posts in this thread are pretty embarrassing - I mean, talk about making women feel unwelcome. Come on, the discussion is about bass tone.
[/quote]

Then you reading me all wrong , dood . I am only drawing attention to the fact that other members - certainly [u]not [/u]me - go gaga over any reasonably presentable woman who plays the bass . Why do they do that ? Does playing the bass make a woman more alluring to them ? It certainly doesn't to me , and I am perfectly entitled to feel that way . Humourous remarks aside , the bass guitar is a very male - dominated instrument , and has always been so , to the extent that there must be good reason for that state of affairs . Just like so many other roles on society , which musical instruments people learn to play is more often than not assigned along gender lines . Women are far more likely to be backing singers in a band than bass guitarists , or drummers for that matter . None of this is coincidence , nor is any of it of my making , so why people seem to want to hold me responsible because I have pointed it out , I am not entirely sure .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372712660' post='2129127']
Does playing the bass make a woman more alluring to them ? It certainly doesn't to me.
[/quote]

Oh man - it does it for me!

CB

Edited by cloudburst

Then you reading me all wrong , dood . I am only drawing attention to the fact that other members - certainly [u]not [/u]me - go gaga over any reasonably presentable woman who plays the bass . Why do they do that ? Does playing the bass make a woman more alluring to them ? It certainly doesn't to me , and I am perfectly entitled to feel that way . Humourous remarks aside , the bass guitar is a very male - dominated instrument , and has always been so , to the extent that there must be good reason for that state of affairs . Just like so many other roles on society , which musical instruments people learn to play is more often than not assigned along gender lines . Women are far more likely to be backing singers in a band than bass guitarists , or drummers for that matter . None of this is coincidence , nor is any of it of my making , so why people seem to want to hold me responsible because I have pointed it out , I am not entirely sure .
[/quote]

I'd say that it was your choice of delivery then. I was always taught to be 'aware of your audience' when despatching thoughts and opinions. I'm not suggesting for one minute that you aren't allowed said, but being as this is a family forum that relies on the written word for tone in the absence of facial expression (or other 'real life' clues) as to what you are trying to suggest, your posts have been misinterpreted. Emoticons are useful for example :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372705405' post='2128912']

Ouch! Calling Spacechick, Bluejay, Evil Undead! :lol:
[/quote]

Hellooooo! You called? :)

I think that a lot of the female bassists posted up on here, whilst very good players (far better than I'll ever be) are nothing spectacular, and probably wouldn't be noticed at all if they were men.

But, really, we all know that music, especially bass, guitar and drums, are very male dominated, and it's nice to know that you guys notice the lady bassists now and then. Hopefully for our playing rather than, erm, other aspects. :)

the bass guitar is a very male - dominated instrument , and has always been so , [u] to the extent that there must be good reason for that state of affairs . Just like so many other roles on society , which musical instruments people learn to play is more often than not assigned along gender lines . Women are far more likely to be backing singers in a band than bass guitarists , [/u] or drummers for that matter . None of this is coincidence , nor is any of it of my making , so why people seem to want to hold me responsible because I have pointed it out , I am not entirely sure .
[/quote]

You do realise this is the 21st century don't you? Us women have the vote and everything. Hey, you'd better get your pitchfork at dawn as I know a man who plays the flute and piccolo, and god forbid there are men that actually WANT to ballet dance!

I took your other threads with a large pinch of salt, but this defence of your comments screams almost caveman-esque sexism.

Suggest you grab your club and retire to your cave for a while and consider how you can actually bring yourself and your attitude forward a couple of millennia!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372713716' post='2129146']
You do realise this is the 21st century don't you? Us women have the vote and everything. Hey, you'd better get your pitchfork at dawn as I know a man who plays the flute and piccolo, and god forbid there are men that actually WANT to ballet dance!

I took your other threads with a large pinch of salt, but this defence of your comments screams almost caveman-esque sexism.

Suggest you grab your club and retire to your cave for a while and consider how you can actually bring yourself and your attitude forward a couple of millennia!
[/quote]

Why would you take exception the the highlighted observation ? Do you dispute the truth of what I am saying ? Do you believe the converse to be true , and that there are in fact a proportionate amount of women bass players and drummers ? I can only suppose that you have misread my post , because nowhere do I say that it is right or . desirable that this demarcation of musical roles along gender lines is desirable or the ideal . But it is so , nevertheless . The "good reason " I refer to is open to debate , and I am inviting discussion by making that point . My own contention would be it is because in music just as every other aspect of life , traditional but wholly arbitrary gender roles still persist to a great extent . Like I have said before , [u]none of that is of my making , [/u]so why get angry at me for pointing it out ?

I think your "Good reason" above coupled with your previous comment that advanced bass skills require a p*nis have more than revealed your true viewpoint.

Anyhow, I'm sure that was not why the OP posted this thread, and the mild tongue in cheek title thread was what brought me in, and fair play to the girl, she has a lovely tone to her playing. Thanks for sharing.

I think discussing the skills of any bassist, regardless of gender, is what this beautiful forum is all about.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372715526' post='2129168']
I think your "Good reason" above coupled with your previous comment that advanced bass skills require a p*nis have more than revealed your true viewpoint.

Anyhow, I'm sure that was not why the OP posted this thread, and the mild tongue in cheek title thread was what brought me in, and fair play to the girl, she has a lovely tone to her playing. Thanks for sharing.

I think discussing the skills of any bassist, regardless of gender, is what this beautiful forum is all about.
[/quote]

Well I'm sorry if you have taken offense , but my mistake was that I had underestimated how excited folks get over this kind of thing . Lets face it , if advanced bass skills really were proportionate to the size of a penis a player had then I'd be an even better player than I am now ! :lol: ( Not really :( )

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372716034' post='2129177']

Lets face it , if advanced bass skills really were proportionate to the size of a penis a player had then I'd be an even better player than I am now ! :lol: ( Not really :( )
[/quote]

Now that is funny :lol:

That kind of self depreciating humour is also what the forum is about. ;)

But seriously mate, there are many women, that whilst in the minority, take our bass playing really seriously and surely we should be treated like any other committed player regardless of our gender.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1372713341' post='2129140']
I'd say that it was your choice of delivery then. I was always taught to be 'aware of your audience' when despatching thoughts and opinions. I'm not suggesting for one minute that you aren't allowed said, but being as this is a family forum that relies on the written word for tone in the absence of facial expression (or other 'real life' clues) as to what you are trying to suggest, your posts have been misinterpreted. Emoticons are useful for example :)
[/quote]
It is undeniable that, for a variety of reasons, girls only make up a small proportion of the people playing musical instruments in beat combos. Girls who do decide to follow this path, be they singers or bass players (and I know a few) or whatever, find themselves not only dealing with a rather masculine environment but also one that tends to attract a rather knockabout and not particularly politically correct sense of humour. IME the girls who prosper tend to be those who are happy to be ‘one of the boys’ and take all of this type of nonsense in their stride!

One thing that does confuse me – I always assumed that this was a forum for musicians… or bass players at least! I imagine that most members either are, or aspire to be, gigging musicians. I don’t see how this makes BC a ‘family forum’? To be honest I never really thought that travelling 30 miles in a van to play rock music in some type of (often less than salubrious) licensed premises and getting back home at 3 o’clock in the morning was a particularly family orientated pursuit…

The music industry and scene can be quite a sexist place. There is no [i]good[/i] reason for the number of guitar/bass players/drummers being skewed towards men, considering the wealth of wonderful female artists and instrumentalists out there who clearly prove that musical talent has nothing to do with gender, but I'd postulate that it may be because a lot of girls are put off picking up guitars/basses or joining bands due to the fact that it is [i]percieved [/i]to be something that boys do. In addition to that though, just look at the title of this thread, and many others I've seen on BC - instant focus on the fact the player is a girl combined with a reference to her looks. Meant in good humour or not it's depressingly common for female musicians to be objectified before they've even played a note. It's not just a problem with the music scene, it's a problem with society, IMO.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1372716991' post='2129194']...instant focus on the fact the player is a girl combined with a reference to her looks
[/quote]
Her looks didn't come under my notice. She's not my type. The post was about her tone. I liked her tone. I like plays on words. That's all.

CB

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1372716659' post='2129190']
It is undeniable that, for a variety of reasons, girls only make up a small proportion of the people playing musical instruments in beat combos. Girls who do decide to follow this path, be they singers or bass players (and I know a few) or whatever, find themselves not only dealing with a rather masculine environment but also one that tends to attract a rather knockabout and not particularly politically correct sense of humour. IME the girls who prosper tend to be those who are happy to be ‘one of the boys’ and take all of this type of nonsense in their stride!

One thing that does confuse me – I always assumed that this was a forum for musicians… or bass players at least! I imagine that most members either are, or aspire to be, gigging musicians. I don’t see how this makes BC a ‘family forum’? To be honest I never really thought that travelling 30 miles in a van to play rock music in some type of (often less than salubrious) licensed premises and getting back home at 3 o’clock in the morning was a particularly family orientated pursuit…
[/quote]

The Basschat audience is made up of people from all walks of life and ages. Therefore Basschat asks users to be mindful and respectful of their fellow users of this community. Whether or not they are at school and have picked up their first bass or a retired weekend warrior - the community spirit should still be respected right? That's what makes the forum family orientated. .