Why become a member? ×

How not to impress a lady bassist...

jojobass

A while ago I received this (totally unsolicited) email from a guy calling himself Fergie Fulton, which caused a certain amount of sheer disbelief and hilarity... I did wonder whether to reply but then thought life's too short- so instead I am naming and shaming him here- and wonder if anyone else has come across this be-mulleted bass sage?

Oh and by the way, you really should check out his myspace page- www.myspace.com/vintageprecisionbass - this guru of all things bass related (the self-confessed "best blues bass guitarist in the world") obviously has a lot to offer all of us.

Anyway, this is the email he sent me:

"hi Jo caught the show last night at the high barn, great night had by one and all i saw the potential of what your trying to achieve. I don't like to criticize unless i feel it will be positive to a player so please don't take offence as it is the last thing i want to do. I believe you play upright bass, as your right hand fingering is very lazy and leads to a lack of definition in your playing. Spoons is a very powerful drummer and you need definition and power in your playing to stay with him which you lack. I feel if you address these issues you will have a better understanding of your playing in a trio, which is completely different to playing in any other formation as you will be left lacking when the guitar leaves the groove to solo.
The fact you are female has nothing to do with our ability, to me you are a bass player, end of story. Please feel free to reply in case i don't have the full picture, like i said i don't want to offend, just point you in the right direction......fergie"

Sheesh. What a knob. It's not the fact that he's male, just the fact that he's a knob.

It's funny how he criticises your right hand technique, saying that as it must be derived from upright bass your playing is not well suited to a trio. Has he never heard of Jack Bruce and Cream then?

To call your technique lazy is just plain rude.

Hmmmm... Well, if Jo here plays upright, she should have the very best left hand techniques. I always laugh when guitarists say things to me like, "You barely move around and yet you play sooo many notes!" Erm, yes... It's all about economy of movement and technique as opposed to flashiness!

He sounds no only like a total Noob, but also like the kind of dimwit that still thinks a bass is a guitar!

Homer, send the girls round - [i]Much[/i] more dangerous!

He does have a lot of gigs and seems to have plenty of evidence of his playing up (though none of it will load for me), so I can't imagine him being too shoddy, his 'best in the world' thing just looks like a play on the Carlsberg beer ads. Maybe he was just trying to help, albeit not very tactfully, some people don't come across well on the net through no fault of their own. If it was some kid with no gigs and no evidence of his ability up then It'd be a different matter, his email does seem a bit dumb and pointless though, it just seems like a vague claim masked as advise that you could fabricate equally convincingly about almost any player.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='214415' date='Jun 7 2008, 03:26 PM']He does have a lot of gigs and seems to have plenty of evidence of his playing up (though none of it will load for me), so I can't imagine him being too shoddy, his 'best in the world' thing just looks like a play on the Carlsberg beer ads. Maybe he was just trying to help, albeit not very tactfully, some people don't come across well on the net through no fault of their own. If it was some kid with no gigs and no evidence of his ability up then It'd be a different matter, his email does seem a bit dumb and pointless though, it just seems like a vague claim masked as advise that you could fabricate equally convincingly about almost any player.[/quote]

Just checked out his myspace page. He's got good tone. Don't think that much of his band - especially the vocals. All his gigs are with the one band.

I don't see how the fact that he's not a beginner is relevant. He's rude. He's trying to be helpful, sure, I can see that. He's not trying to be malicious, I can see that too. But he's being so patronising.

Check out his blog for some advice on technique: it seems to be that he's been playing a long time and thinks it's his duty to pass on everything he knows. There's a right way and a wrong way.

[quote name='jojobass' post='214396' date='Jun 7 2008, 02:54 PM']You know, I think what upsets me even more is his lousy spelling.... :huh:[/quote]
For someone who blows his own trumpet in that way, you would think he would be a little more careful with such details. Even if he is as good as he claims to be on the bass, what's the point if he's rubbish at more basic skills, such as English? What a plonker. :)

Or.....those of us with a myspace page, get added and rip into his limited blues approach (there's much better blues players out there) ...ask him why he has four strings on his 57 when all he needs is one or two....OR....we could just invite him here, cos he's so full of bass knowledge :)

[quote name='Jase' post='214471' date='Jun 7 2008, 04:51 PM']OR....we could just invite him here, cos he's so full of bass knowledge :)[/quote]

sounds like the best option, he seems eager to offer advice, wouldn't mind hearing it.

[quote name='The Funk' post='214447' date='Jun 7 2008, 04:21 PM']Just checked out his myspace page. He's got good tone. Don't think that much of his band - especially the vocals. All his gigs are with the one band.

I don't see how the fact that he's not a beginner is relevant. He's rude. He's trying to be helpful, sure, I can see that. He's not trying to be malicious, I can see that too. But he's being so patronising.

Check out his blog for some advice on technique: it seems to be that he's been playing a long time and thinks it's his duty to pass on everything he knows. There's a right way and a wrong way.[/quote]

Just playing Devils Advocate :)

I read his blog- i don't get what he means about "wide frets supporting the neck better" and early Fenders being flawed because of thin frets.
also "beech fretboards"- is maple a variety of beech (or vice versa)?

[quote name='SJA' post='214492' date='Jun 7 2008, 05:14 PM']sounds like the best option, he seems eager to offer advice, wouldn't mind hearing it.[/quote]

Sorry, I just got excited earlier :) , you're probably right there.