Why become a member? ×

Allan Holdsworth UK tour with Jimmy Haslip on bass

visog

Short UK tour in November. Jimmy H on bass with drum phenom Virgil Donati. He's Australian but don't let that put you off.

Should be a hoot. He's always had good value bass players - I've seen him with Jimmy Johnson and Skuli Sverrisson. Oh and Mark King in his rather curious short Level 42 tenure.

[url="http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/allanlive.htm"]http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/allanlive.htm[/url]

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1372454730' post='2126075']
Saw him with UK in '78, classy stuff, still play the vynyl now :)
[/quote]

Love all the UK stuff but the first record with AH is a classic!

I've seen AH a few times. In the 90s i saw the last gig on that tour and they were selling some of the merchandise cheap. I bought half a dozen t-shirts for £2.99 each. I wore two but left the others unused in a draw. A couple of years ago i put them on ebay and got over £30 for each one. I even sold both the used ones for £15. Result!!!

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1372459886' post='2126147']
Yeah, saw him at the renfrew ferry a few years ago. Pretty good even though he looked terrified!
[/quote]
Lol. I had a beer with him before that show - and I can confirm he was terrified! I also stood about 4 feet in front of him throughout the show and you could easily see his fingers trembling...the amount of sweat on the finger board was another indicator.

For those not in the know Allan suffers from chronic stage fright. I find it amazing that one of the greatest ever exponents of the electric guitar suffers in this way when playing to a crowd of 200 admirers!!!

On the second occasion that I saw Allan in the Ferry I ended up in deep conversation with Jimmy Johnson who asked me for advice on Sansamp drivers....he asked [u]ME [/u]for advice!! Ridiculous................

I got the hell out of there before I was rumbled as captain bluff of the the 2nd bluff brigade.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1372508226' post='2126569']
Don't know why but looked like he was suffering from stage fright! His hands were shaking, but maybe that's him?
[/quote]
Thanks, that's really interesting. I've seen him a few times and have never noticed this at all.

Have a look at this article specially the 'New Millenium' piece.

[url="http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Allan_Holdsworth"]http://www.guitarmas...llan_Holdsworth[/url]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1372508567' post='2126572']
Thanks, that's really interesting. I've seen him a few times and have never noticed this at all.

[/quote]

He's quoted as saying that he has to chug a few beers before the start of a show...

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1372508011' post='2126563']

Lol. I had a beer with him before that show - and I can confirm he was terrified! I also stood about 4 feet in front of him throughout the show and you could easily see his fingers trembling...the amount of sweat on the finger board was another indicator.

For those not in the know Allan suffers from chronic stage fright. I find it amazing that one of the greatest ever exponents of the electric guitar suffers in this way when playing to a crowd of 200 admirers!!!

On the second occasion that I saw Allan in the Ferry I ended up in deep conversation with Jimmy Johnson who asked me for advice on Sansamp drivers....he asked [u]ME [/u]for advice!! Ridiculous................

I got the hell out of there before I was rumbled as captain bluff of the the 2nd bluff brigade.
[/quote]

I've heard artists say that before, they'd rather play in front of an audience of 5,000 than one of 500, due to the intimacy of it...
Personally I sh*t a brick in front of an audience of 50...!! :lol: