Why become a member? ×

Shuker 7 string build

Finbar

Just be patient, I'll have them up in a few ticks :)

Incidentally by the way, I had a look for other peoples' basses while I was there, and there was nothing really o_O Either they were all in the spray booth, or everyone has received them. I thought there were quite a few up for completion quite shortly?

The beast...

With size comparison

Front (the small bridge is just for very rough placement reference, it isn't the one we're using! ;))

Rear

Headstock

Hard to tell from the picture - black and purple stringers

Inlays, bit of a better view of the top wood, and a really really nice rosewood fretboard - top marks to Jon for finding that one :)

I do have a couple more pictures, but that's all for now :huh:

oof that IS looking good isn't it!

i see what you mean about the pickguard though. i think more people would make the connection between this and a music man WITH the pickguard. but it would be a shame to cover up those lovely neck laminates.

glad it's not my decision :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='155538' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:35 PM']The beast...

With size comparison

Front (the small bridge is just for very rough placement reference, it isn't the one we're using! ;))

Rear

Headstock

Hard to tell from the picture - black and purple stringers

Inlays, bit of a better view of the top wood, and a really really nice rosewood fretboard - top marks to Jon for finding that one :)

I do have a couple more pictures, but that's all for now :huh:[/quote]

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!

I don't think I can fault that design, it looks completely right to me. The body looks well proportioned to the neck - and I am sure its going to look stunning! We are talking 'front page material' for sure!

[quote name='dood' post='155627' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:52 PM']GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!

I don't think I can fault that design, it looks completely right to me. The body looks well proportioned to the neck - and I am sure its going to look stunning! We are talking 'front page material' for sure![/quote]
Centrefold! But mind the staples.

And this one too... Slightly more of a close up shot of the body.

Anyway, thanks peoples for the comments, I'm well looking forward to getting this finished. And seeing how the madrone top is once it has the lacquer on!

Also waiting for the last bit of work to be done on the inlays. Very tiny change, but it is staying a secret ^_^

I only just realised - this *might* be finished by the Bash. Hadn't really thought about attending it, but if people want to meet the new Shuker, I might look into dropping down?

Be even happier to go if someone has some nice amps I might want to try out ^_^

I was just reading urb's thread, and noticed the Shuker comment in it. Didn't want to derail the thread, as it should (quite rightly) be about that beautiful new Sei!

So I'll derail my own a little instead...

I've noticed a fair bit of Shuker hate around here. Well, not 'hate', but there's definitely a feeling of 'not another one...' when someone gets one comissioned. Why is that? I'm sure Jon's got a lot of business from this forum, but that's just because he builds good instruments, surely?

For me, the price was right, the location was right (same city as Jon), I'd played his instruments before, I knew he'd build my vision, and he is a very nice man who is very knowledgable! It was a decision made independent of Basschat, and from what I've seen of this beauty so far, I think I'm going to be very happy with my bass.

EDIT: Just like urb, I don't want to turn this into a 'luthier vs luthier' slogging match betwen people feeling the childish need to defend their purchases of something which I am sure is probably a high class instrument regardless of builder... I'm just curious. Friendly plz ^_^

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='160338' date='Mar 19 2008, 05:01 PM']I was just reading urb's thread, and noticed the Shuker comment in it. Didn't want to derail the thread, as it should (quite rightly) be about that beautiful new Sei!

So I'll derail my own a little instead...

I've noticed a fair bit of Shuker hate around here. Well, not 'hate', but there's definitely a feeling of 'not another one...' when someone gets one comissioned. Why is that? I'm sure Jon's got a lot of business from this forum, but that's just because he builds good instruments, surely?

For me, the price was right, the location was right (same city as Jon), I'd played his instruments before, I knew he'd build my vision, and he is a very nice man who is very knowledgable! It was a decision made independent of Basschat, and from what I've seen of this beauty so far, I think I'm going to be very happy with my bass.[/quote]

Nice one Finbar - like I tried to tactfully state in my own thread it all boils down to personal choices and these definitely include cost and location of builder - for example a two or three year wait for a Fodera, quite frankly would do my head in - and I'm sure you will get a great, great bass that will utterly rock your world - cool!

By the way - your bass is looking great - that neck looks amazing.

Mucho respecto

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to electronics, I'm not the most knowledgable man in the world. So I told Jon what I wanted it to sound like and that I wanted it passive, and away he went to work something out. I basically asked him for an aggressive tone I'll be using with a pick (think JJ Burnel, but not quite that aggressive!), and a smoother jazzy tone, for when the aggressive sound would stick out like a sore thumb. That's all I want from it, though I'm aware they are two distinctly different sounds.

Jon's given me a choice now though. Either have one rotary knob which has 2 presets (each with bass, mid and treble control), or 2 knobs - one with 6 different mid settings, and the second with 3 different bass/treble settings.

I know I said to him I wanted to keep knobs to a minimum, and I know I said I only wanted two tones from it (so the first option would be the obvious one), but I'm actually stumped for choice on this! You're always tempted by more options, aren't you? :/

[quote name='Finbar' post='165278' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:29 PM']With regards to electronics, I'm not the most knowledgable man in the world. So I told Jon what I wanted it to sound like and that I wanted it passive, and away he went to work something out. I basically asked him for an aggressive tone I'll be using with a pick (think JJ Burnel, but not quite that aggressive!), and a smoother jazzy tone, for when the aggressive sound would stick out like a sore thumb. That's all I want from it, though I'm aware they are two distinctly different sounds.

Jon's given me a choice now though. Either have one rotary knob which has 2 presets (each with bass, mid and treble control), or 2 knobs - one with 6 different mid settings, and the second with 3 different bass/treble settings.

I know I said to him I wanted to keep knobs to a minimum, and I know I said I only wanted two tones from it (so the first option would be the obvious one), but I'm actually stumped for choice on this! You're always tempted by more options, aren't you? :/[/quote]

Well it's not fixed in stone. Try the simple version first and go back for teh more copmplex one if you then find you want more.
As long as there's enough room in the cavity it's not a problem to swap wires over.
It's not like changing your mind about the woods ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='165316' date='Mar 28 2008, 03:16 PM']Ishibashi has an Emporer in its used section if you really want one ... Lots of Yen though ...[/quote]

Thanks for the info OG but I've thankfully cured any Fodera-pangs with the arrival of the Sei - it's plays and sounds as close as i could hope for - Fodera's do have wonderful woods and great tone on them but I think we all know luthiers who can glue, carve, sand and finish basses just as well as Vinnie and Joey... :)

See you at the Bash?

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='165413' date='Mar 28 2008, 04:55 PM']Thanks for the info OG but I've thankfully cured any Fodera-pangs with the arrival of the Sei - it's plays and sounds as close as i could hope for - Fodera's do have wonderful woods and great tone on them but I think we all know luthiers who can glue, carve, sand and finish basses just as well as Vinnie and Joey... :huh:

See you at the Bash?

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

yep :)

Yes I'll be there with my Shuks and SX ..