Why become a member? ×

Shuker 7 string build

Finbar

I'm counting on it :) I don't want something overly busy, but something that is still figured nicely, and that madrone burr fit the bill!

I have to say, I'm having real trouble with inlays. I'm going to see Jon on Thursday to talk over some more neck dimensions, and look at inlays, but I really don't know what to go for!

I definitely want something (yes, I need fret markers to play! Hah! They're reight useful...).I don't want dots I don't think, as I think they'd get lost on a neck that wide. I have been thinking about blocks, but after mocking something up VERY quickly on Paint, I've become very indecisive. I think that the MoP blocks on rosewood looks very 'vintage', which isn't the vibe I'm really going for with this.

I wouldn't mind something similar to the Steve Vai 'tree of life' kind of thing, but on this bass I think it could be too much. Perhaps something like this...

...would be more appropriate, as it isn't as busy as the Vai one. But even then I'm too indecisive, and can't make my mind up without seeing it on the bass first >.<

Any thoughts? Ways I can get something mocked up?

I definitely need them higher up on the fretboard. My Conklin at the moment has markers so near the top of the neck that they may as well be on the side. I find that on the higher strings and frets, they're a bit far from the fret markers, and I lose my place. Sometimes it makes me a little cross eyed and it looks like there's a fret marker on every fret! :) I'm trying a few unmarked ones at Jon's on Thursday though, so we'll see how it goes..

[quote name='Finbar' post='115802' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:42 PM']I considered something like this too, and it is still very much a possibility - much more understated than full on blocks.

Not sure if I'd want just plain dots on the front though - I'll have a wee thinky about this![/quote]

I like the grapevine inlay approach. Something spectacular ..

My concerns about that are that it would probably bump the price up a lot more (bad).

And also that I think the fingerboard may already be slotted for the frets, and don't designs like that usually get done before that process? Then again, I wouldn't know - I've never built a bass :)

My thoughts are currently something along the lines of what BigRedX was talking about - simple and understated.

Still not decided though! :huh:

[quote name='Finbar' post='115986' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:16 AM']My concerns about that are that it would probably bump the price up a lot more (bad).

And also that I think the fingerboard may already be slotted for the frets, and don't designs like that usually get done before that process? Then again, I wouldn't know - I've never built a bass :huh:

My thoughts are currently something along the lines of what BigRedX was talking about - simple and understated.

Still not decided though! ;)[/quote]

Oh yes that would probably cost as much as the rest of the bass, specially if the fret slots are in already .. :)
Entwhistle had roman numerals on one of his, Fodera do some nice inlays - butterflies etc ...

If you do go for something fancier on the front face make sure that the 'important' (3, 5, 7 etc.) frets are more clearly defined that the others. My Traben Phoenix 5 has a larger inlay on one off the 'wrong' frets and several times it's caused my to play the wrong note. When I'm using it I have to remember to go by the side markers only.

I'm thinking of something very understated, a bit like this (mocked up on a picture of a Conklin GT7 in Paint very badly :))

But I may change the dots out for something else. Wouldn't mind making the one on the 12th fret a little different too. I don't think I'll need the ones below the 12th, as I'll have side markers :huh:

Right, I've finally decided to go with that inlay pattern. Didn't like the 12th fret originally, but it's grown on me :) Only modifications are that the dots are now under the F string (thanks BigRedX for that - I should have done that from the offset!), and I think I may add a wee yellow Pacman on the 24th instead of a dot. My very understated little homage to Mr Jean Baudin :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

There was some confusion with the way the neck tapers, and the width of the neck on the Conklin that Jon took the measurements from. So while I waited to be able to take my Conklin down to show him (took about 5 seconds for him to go 'Yeh, I see what they've done there' and send me packing again!), it has put the build time back a little :)

Jon was previously saying mid January/early February, but now he says it is more like mid/late February. This waiting thing is tiring :huh:

Good news is that it should be plain sailing from here on in - there's very little complex stuff to go wrong, and one of the common complaints of Shuker customers (pickups taking ages to be delivered after the rest of the bass is ready) is already sorted as Jon's had the pickup for months now. I'm getting all giddy ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Jon does a good job of being vague :)

It should be really nearly done - the parts are all being glued together now I think. But I still think the process probably could have gone a little quicker... It wasn't far behind that stage when I saw him 6 weeks or so ago. I know he's busy, so I'm not too fussed, but I wouldn't mind a picture now and again!

Jon put his date back again to mid/late February last time I saw him, so I'm guessing I won't see this while March o_O

Edited by Finbar

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Finbar' post='137883' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:18 PM']Jon does a good job of being vague :huh:

It should be really nearly done - the parts are all being glued together now I think. But I still think the process probably could have gone a little quicker... It wasn't far behind that stage when I saw him 6 weeks or so ago. I know he's busy, so I'm not too fussed, but I wouldn't mind a picture now and again!

Jon put his date back again to mid/late February last time I saw him, so I'm guessing I won't see this while March o_O[/quote]

So its while March :)
Any news?

Had an email from Jon the other day saying it is 'not a million miles away now'. Whatever that means :huh:

He needs me to come and check the neck out soon, early next week I think. So I'll get a look at it then - though I have no camera :)

However, if it is the neck I'm checking out, that indicates to me that most of the woodworking shuold have been done, right? so just routing and putting electric gubbins and finishing left...

'Just'.

[quote name='Finbar' post='153019' date='Mar 7 2008, 01:10 PM']Had an email from Jon the other day saying it is 'not a million miles away now'. Whatever that means ;)[/quote]

Oh he's importing them ready made from China now .. it'll be in Liverpool docks, in a container somewhere ...

[quote]He needs me to come and check the neck out soon, early next week I think. So I'll get a look at it then - though I have no camera :)[/quote]

You can surely borrow a camera for this momentous occasion???

[quote]However, if it is the neck I'm checking out, that indicates to me that most of the woodworking shuold have been done, right? so just routing and putting electric gubbins and finishing left...

'Just'.[/quote]

:huh: Like I said, Easter

Hah, 3 or 4 weeks... *Another* month then... I wish he'd never given me a build time at all at the start! Or at least a realistic one :huh:

I'm going to try and blag a camera, but I'm not sure who off! We'll see ;) If all else fails, I don't really live far from Jon - it ain't the end of the world if I don't get pictures on this visit :)

Or maybe I should make you all wait for completion pics...

Oooooh ^_^ I'm all giddy.

Went down today for about 45 minutes and talked about various things with Jon. My bass now looks like a bass :huh: I'm relieved, strangely, to see it like that ;) Not that I thought it would never get built or anything :S

It is looking better than I anticipated at this stage, and seeing it so near finished, I am rethinking the scratchplate idea - leaning more towards not having one. But I'm still not 100% on either having it or not. I don't think it would look bad either way.

Curiously, Jon said that it was the bass with the most separate pieces of wood in that he has ever built, clocking in at 34. That made me laugh.

All of the wood is stuck together now, and all that is left to do is get rid of a few more bits (the neck needs final carving, and there needs to be a bit of routing for the pickup etc). I hazarded a guess at 3-4 weeks build time left to Jon, and he replied with "if that". Which is lovely, but I know what his timekeeping is like ;)

Anyway yes, I got a few pictures, but they were just on my phone. It isn't a great camera, but I tried my best. I'll upload one or two when I pull them off my phone :)