Why become a member? ×

Shuker 7 string build

Finbar

Missed the bash unfortunately ¬_¬ But then again, I wouldn't have had this bass to take either. Hah, I think I'm numb to the wait now :)

Went with the 'simple' option for the EQ. I'm guessing he'll want me to come down to tweak the settings a bit before installing it all properly at some point.

Just waiting on word from Jon on more progress really.

[quote name='Finbar' post='168837' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:20 AM']Missed the bash unfortunately ¬_¬ But then again, I wouldn't have had this bass to take either. Hah, I think I'm numb to the wait now :)

Went with the 'simple' option for the EQ. I'm guessing he'll want me to come down to tweak the settings a bit before installing it all properly at some point.

Just waiting on word from Jon on more progress really.[/quote]

If you are having the Shuker EQ with the mid trimpot in the cavity ask him to put a hole in the cavity cover so you can adjust it without taking the cover off ..
In the end I had to drill a hole to do it and I am sure Jon would have done a better job ...

• 3 weeks later...

Another 2 weeks on, and still not done! :huh:

Last email from Jon said that once he had done the electronics (he's done a rough version to make sure it works, so now he is doing a proper neater one to go in the bass), he would get to work buffing and polishing the bass. To me, this implies that he's at least done the first bit of work on the finish, so... I'm waiting >.< Hoping I might be able to pop down to his workshop in the next week to get some new pictures of the stage that we're at now, but we'll see :)

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Jon today. Got a couple of piccies on my phone (it is a new phone with a superduper camera, but I haven't worked out how to use it properly yet, so bare with me!), which I'm uploading now :)

The lacquering has begun - the first coat has been done. In the pictures, there are lumps and imperfections in the finish and it is slightly tacky to touch from the wax. But this will be sanded back and finished with the full on gloss very soon :huh: Talking to Jon, he says it may be finished within 2 weeks. Not holding my breath, but it really is just putting bits inside it from here on in, so I'm inclined to think that may be about the right kind of timescale ;) The holes in the back are now routed for the LED circuit batteries and the EQ/volume pots, and the pickup has also been routed. Unlike last time we had photos, the pickup is actually sitting in the bass, not on top of it. The lower horn has also been brought back into the body a bit more since the last pictures, to accommodate better upper fret access.

Me and Jon had a quick chat about series/parallel switching too. I was going to leave it out entirely, but we're now going to add it as a push/push switch on the pot for the LED on/off knob. It is all coming together!

Incidentally, I think the back of the neck especially looks absolutely mint.

EDIT: Here we go ;) They are mahoosive though...

Whole thing

Body

Headstock

Rear

Back of neck

Back of headstock

I'm not a good photographer with this camera yet, but enjoy :huh:

Edited by Finbar

Goodness .. Wonderful ...

Got your gym membership/chiropractor lined up? :)

If you get Jon to do his "LED switch in the battery compartment rim or cavity cover" trick like mine it gives you one less thing to switch on the front knobs ...

I never use my gym membership :/ But having said that, this bass is actually quite light! I know I was picking it up without hardware and electronics, but compared to the Conklin I've been hefting around for 3 years, it is a huge difference :)

I'm quite happy with the LED switch on the front I think. Most of the EQ I'm happy to have internally, but some things you just need acces to all the time :huh:

The Shuker logo is going to be the shiny chrome one as well. Looks pretty sexy on the other basses Jon had in with those on. Ee, can't wait ^_^

[quote name='Finbar' post='190426' date='May 2 2008, 12:34 PM']The Shuker logo is going to be the shiny chrome one as well. Looks pretty sexy on the other basses Jon had in with those on. Ee, can't wait ^_^[/quote]

Mine is the crome signature one and it's illegible on the front of the headstock so people come up and peer intently.

I'd rather have had the non signature block caps "Shuker bass" one on the headstock but he'd done it before i realised.

I have the block caps one on the rear of the headstock but I like people to know what it is and to help Jon stay in business :) and so they realise it's not a Squier ....

Edited by OldGit

He gave ma choice of black, chrome or white. Black wouldn't show up well on my bass I don't think, white may look a little in your face, so that only leaves chrome, which seems very visible if you catch it in the light. Either way, I'll be letting everyone know it is a Shuker anyway ;p I shouldn't think it'll get confused with a Squier!

[quote name='Finbar' post='190892' date='May 2 2008, 10:09 PM']He gave ma choice of black, chrome or white. Black wouldn't show up well on my bass I don't think, white may look a little in your face, so that only leaves chrome, which seems very visible if you catch it in the light. Either way, I'll be letting everyone know it is a Shuker anyway ;p I shouldn't think it'll get confused with a Squier![/quote]

Yeah chrome is cool but have the "case" style lettering instead fo his signature .. S'wat I mean, like on his cases ...

Right, well Jon said apparently it will be 'case style' on the front, and he's going to sign it on the back. So there you go!

Anyway, here's my latest thoughts.

Jon has maintained through the rest of the build that the scratchplate is a possibility, and we wouldn't commit to it, but would do a mock up near the end of the build, and if all went well we'd use some flame maple for it. However, I had gone off the idea by this point. But I just saw that fretless stingray with the status neck in the for sale section, and it has made me debate sticking on a clear scratchplate.

I know I poo-pooed the idea on the first page of the thread, but I'm coming round to it. Can't quite decide though :) It is the main link to the Stingray design for me, but I won't know if it needs it until after I've seen it all strung up and everything. The clear one wouldn't obscure anything, and wouldn't necessarily be really in your face, but it would be a definite reminder of the stingray 5 design.

Might look something like this. Excuse my Paint skills :huh:

What do y'all think? :/

Anyway, regardless of scratchplate, there's a possibility I could be picking this up as early as Monday D:

Hey bud,
I really like the idea of the clear scratchplate, as you say it'd tie in with the origins of the design.
I certinaly wouldn't go for any other material though, it'd be a real shame to hide that beautiful wood :)

Picking up as early as Monday? That's awesome news...

Cheers,
Eude

Yeh, I can hardly wait :) Monday would be awesome, as I have a gig that night. I have a feeling we'll mis that date though. Especally seeing as I've just been talking to Jon and he's said he'll knock a scratchplate up. So that'll put it back a bit. Ah well :huh:

Noooooooo!!!

stay away from the clear SP, your getting an AWESOME bass, dont spoil it by putting on a clear SP. I suppose its personal preferance but I just think they look damn ugly. It just looks like a piece of plastic for protection, its like how stupid Id look in a helmet skateboarding.

If this was mine (which I wish it was) Id either get some exotic wood or no SP at all.

IMHO :)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='193690' date='May 7 2008, 10:38 AM']Noooooooo!!!

stay away from the clear SP, your getting an AWESOME bass, dont spoil it by putting on a clear SP. I suppose its personal preferance but I just think they look damn ugly. It just looks like a piece of plastic for protection, its like how stupid Id look in a helmet skateboarding.

If this was mine (which I wish it was) Id either get some exotic wood or no SP at all.

IMHO :)[/quote]

+1

I do see what you're saying. I was very much of the same opinion.

I want the Stingray look, but I don't want to cover the wood up. It would be for aesthetics, rather than protection - no bass needs a scratchplate for protection nowadays ¬_¬ I'm really undecided on it :/

[quote name='Finbar' post='193885' date='May 7 2008, 02:31 PM']I do see what you're saying. I was very much of the same opinion.

I want the Stingray look, but I don't want to cover the wood up. It would be for aesthetics, rather than protection - no bass needs a scratchplate for protection nowadays ¬_¬ I'm really undecided on it :/[/quote]

Don't do it.
It will be like those people who always keep the protector things on their furniture and carpets in case the vicar ever comes round (:)) - or pubs where they have perspex kick sheets up the walls .. No .. 'Tis a bd idea to cover all that nice wood with anything ....

• 2 weeks later...