Why become a member? ×

Shuker 7 string build

Finbar

BEADGCF

Or, that's what mine is currently tuned to, and what this one will be. Some people will tune it differently to that, and may have a high Bb instead of a low B, or (more commonly) a low F# instead of a high F. I know Dood's Doodle was made that way, and my guitarist's Galveston 7 string bass was delivered with F#BEADGC tuning.

[quote name='Finbar' post='70816' date='Oct 7 2007, 09:44 PM']The Low F# doesn't have enough practical applications really (though some would argue otherwise.[/quote]

That would be me lol ;o) I am very much digging the low F# on my 7er. Actually, truth be known, my new band are actually tuned to Eb - so I'm on a low F now GULP!!!

[quote name='Toasted' post='70869' date='Oct 8 2007, 12:01 AM']Dont basses with necks this wide generally have two truss rods?[/quote]

*generally* yes. I think even my 6er does. We (Jon and I) used 2 so we can set the relief for both the treble side and bass side. (I use a little more relief in the bass side.. but actually only a gnats proverbials distance. Very slight)

Yes mate, I have 2 rods fro the 12th fret up into towards the bridge to keep the tp half of the neck flatter and another 2 ods that run the whole length of he neck, on the outsides.

I think it's probably over kill.. but playability is pretty damn brilliant! (I like a very low action, you see!)

[quote name='dood' post='72994' date='Oct 11 2007, 06:37 PM']Yes mate, I have 2 rods fro the 12th fret up into towards the bridge to keep the tp half of the neck flatter and another 2 ods that run the whole length of he neck, on the outsides.

I think it's probably over kill.. but playability is pretty damn brilliant! (I like a very low action, you see!)[/quote]

is that 4 truss rods Dood?

No wonder you coudln't fit any lights in that neck .. what with that, the mandlebrots and the arrester cables .....

[quote name='OldGit' post='73077' date='Oct 11 2007, 10:14 PM']is that 4 truss rods Dood?

No wonder you coudln't fit any lights in that neck .. what with that, the mandlebrots and the arrester cables .....[/quote]

he he.. no, 2 truss rods and 4 carbon inserts .. but yes... thats exactly the reason why we couldn't get the LEDs in as well! Literally no room spare! ;o)

[quote name='dood' post='74100' date='Oct 14 2007, 12:06 PM']he he.. no, 2 truss rods and 4 carbon inserts .. but yes... thats exactly the reason why we couldn't get the LEDs in as well! Literally no room spare! ;o)[/quote]

Makes more sence :)
Stick-ons mate ... That's the way

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='7string' post='87663' date='Nov 12 2007, 11:50 PM']Is that a DeLano pickup ??

John showed me one when I picked up my Conklin. I thought it was so big & heavy that it should be stored in a lead box in case it alters the earth's magnetic field :)[/quote]

From the build list I've assumed it's one of these ..

• 1 month later...

Been off the internet for a while, so no updates. Anyway, latest email from Jon says that he has the fretboard cut and slotted, the neck laminated up for shaping, and the body wings in the same state. I know he's been running a course the last week, so that's basically one week he won't have made any progress in ¬_¬ But yeah, I don't think I'll have it for Christmas, but it doesn't sound like there's actually that much to do to it to be honest.

I'm going to try and nip down this week sometime, possibly Thursday or Friday. If I can get hold of a camera, I'll also take that down, as I've given up hope on Jon ever taking any photos :)

Went down the other day, but couldn't get hold of a camera for the trip :) Jon said he'd take some pics on Sunday and send them on, but I think any of us who've dealt with Jon know that that is far from a promise! :huh:

Anyway, the body sides are all waiting to be laminated together, but the neck is currently clamped up, and its looking damn tasty :huh: He's put some purpleheart strips into the neck as well as the black veneer. It's proper subtle, but it looks mint ^_^

Estimated time - end of January/first week of February. That's only like 6 weeks... But it seems like bloody forever!

Okay, so I did get some pictures off Jon in the end :huh:

Not the clearest, but they show the state of play :huh: Here we can see the neck in its current state, all glued up but not shaped. Can't really see too much detail in it from the photograph :) The other photo is the body and neck put next to each other, just to see how it may look. Again, can't see too much of the figuring on any of the woods or anything, but you get an idea.