Why become a member? ×

I like the sound of this one - Ibanez ATK800E Premium

Grand Wazoo

Always liked the sound and mostly the look of the ATKs, i'd probably have bought one too at some point, if it wasn't for that hideous bridge. For me this is another great bass ruined for me by a bit of hardware that I can't stand, I might just be being picky but I cant be the only one?

I've been looking for one of these for ages! Love my ATK300, but can't find an 800 locally to play. Yeah the more I look at the bridge the more it starts to look a bit silly. Not so much on my natural colour 300, but definitely on this 800. It's unavoidably noticeable. Might be better if the rest of the hardware was silver too. I just try not to look at it ;)

It would be interesting to see if it is possible to just remove that bridge and fit a Badass 2 on that, has anyone lifted one to see what lurks underneath, like silly open cavities or other?

At the end of the day lets face it, ugly or not that is the cheaper you'll ever get to get a very decent Stingray tone without paying the Ernie's balls prices.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

The ATK is one of the few Ibanez basses that I like the look of. I like this especially as it has an additional pickup closer to the neck (not a big fan of single MM types). I don't mind that bridge so much. Ideally I'd have the five string in black with bwb scratch plate, black headstock and maple board. Mmmm

I think the ATK's are great basses, provided you get on with a neck that feels like trying to wrap your hand round a 300 year old oak tree! I used to have a special edition ATK300, and whilst doing a professional panto the sound engineer said it sounded way better through the PA than either my USA Jazz or Yamaha TRB!

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1372010151' post='2120624']
I love my ATK 310 so much that I'm selling my VM P-bass to fund another - providing I can find one... :)
[/quote]

Glad to see it is being appreciated with you Grant !

I think TRBboy's description of the necks are spot on ........

"I think the ATK's are great basses, provided you get on with a neck that feels like trying to wrap your hand round a 300 year old oak tree".

They certainly do have sizeable necks !

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1372060369' post='2121002']
Glad to see it is being appreciated with you Grant !

I think TRBboy's description of the necks are spot on ........

"I think the ATK's are great basses, provided you get on with a neck that feels like trying to wrap your hand round a 300 year old oak tree".

They certainly do have sizeable necks !
[/quote]They feel really comfortable to me. And the bridges look cool I think - they certainly wouldn't sound the same with a standard bridge. :)

It's not for me. Yes, it's the bridge - or more specifically the aesthetically displeasing chromed growth that seems to have sprouted from the bridge.

Sorry for the quick and dirty attack with the clone tool to give a shout out to the naysayers but:

Ahhh!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1372066097' post='2121081']
It's not for me. Yes, it's the bridge - or more specifically the aesthetically displeasing chromed growth that seems to have sprouted from the bridge.

Sorry for the quick and dirty attack with the clone tool to give a shout out to the naysayers but:

Ahhh!
[/quote]

Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do! Made a beautiful bass perfect!

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1372227824' post='2123017']
I don't like the asymmetrical (yes I had to look the word up) headstock and the scratch plate looks a bit naff but I would still own one of these.

I would have to remove that pickguard

[/quote]

yes, why did they put a pickguard? Just route it nicely and show the body as it is.