Why become a member? ×

Duran Duran 1982

Stance

Great gig, great band, great songs, great bass lines!

Actually I find the bass sound a little harsh for my taste, but just love how it sounds in the DD´s context!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4YVrxZEloY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4YVrxZEloY[/url]

He was/is a great bassist. At the time, as I was severely jealous that my girlfriend was obsessed with him, I convinced myself that all the bass-lines were played by Nick Rhodes on his synths, and that JT was only there for his looks. Made me feel a lot better.

But, onto reality, his lines are great, and although his sound is virtually the opposite of what I usually like, it fits so well in their music.

And not many can carry off a red silk suit so well.

Takes me right back to my school days . All the girls were indeed obsessed with Duran Duran , particulaly John Taylor , when they should have been obsessed with me . Two of them got hold of John Taylor's mum's phone number from somewhere and used to ring her and ask if John was there and she always used to say no , he's away on tour in America . I bet they are sorry now - they didn't get to marry John Taylor and they missed out on me too . John Taylor is a superb bass player , and this footage shows him in his prime . Great sound , great feel and some impressive chops . A tasty player all round . I would , of course , never admitted to appreciating Duran Duran's talents in those days - to serious music folks such as myself they were a byword for commercial lightweight crap - but compared to the teen bands of today they are like Emerson , Lake and Palmer .

When they became big I was too young to appreciate their sound and quality (I was 5/6 at the time) , and due to all the hype created around them and their look, it took me a while to undertsand why everyone saw them as an important and influential band . Only in the late 90´s did I bother to check all of their records...From that point onward I became a huge fan!

Rio is such a landmark album (and song - It´s funny because I thought the whole line was played with a pick...)

More credit to JT

Funnily enough I have just got back from a bass lesson where I have been learning to play Planet Earth. Not usually my scene at all, which is one of the reasons teacher threw it at me. He likes to get me out of my comfort zone.:-)

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it!

Being a Brummie, teacher also had a few JT anecdotes to give a bit of added interest. :-)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371299420' post='2112276']
Takes me right back to my school days . All the girls were indeed obsessed with Duran Duran , particulaly John Taylor
[/quote]

They still are, about half of my Twitter followers are women of a certain age who think I am him (we share the same name).Only a couple of weeks ago I got a message from one "r u the real deal"

[quote name='deaver' timestamp='1371331189' post='2112730']
They still are, about half of my Twitter followers are women of a certain age who think I am him (we share the same name).Only a couple of weeks ago I got a message from one "r u the real deal"
[/quote]

You should have told her " yes , but the split with Amanda De Cadenet took it's toll on me and I look a little different nowadays " .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371387792' post='2113184']

You should have told her " yes , but the split with Amanda De Cadenet took it's toll on me and I look a little different nowadays " .
[/quote]

Oddly it was just after I'd posted a link to my band's new video. If she still thinks I'm him after seeing the video then she must be really, really desperate to meet him. The toll would have had to include equally savage amounts of hair loss and weight gain