Why become a member? ×

Should we become a "Tribute" Band?

thebrig

Yep, as others have said the two are not mutually exclusive. Have a DF set and go out as a full trib but then have a more varied set for other gigs. There's a bunch of guys do the rounds where I am that go out under 2 totally different names and wear different gear doing either a 60's nostagia set or a commercial classic rock set but the band members are the same. At xmas or new year they often appear as both bands and effectively become their own support act!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1371208569' post='2111180']
Yep, as others have said the two are not mutually exclusive. Have a DF set and go out as a full trib but then have a more varied set for other gigs. There's a bunch of guys do the rounds where I am that go out under 2 totally different names and wear different gear doing either a 60's nostagia set or a commercial classic rock set but the band members are the same. At xmas or new year they often appear as both bands and effectively become their own support act!
[/quote]
Do they ask for double bubble? :lol:

Edited by thebrig

I have been wondering the same thing about a covers band vs tribute band. My main concern is that you are pretty much expected to be a human jukebox! If you don't sound exact the same, you won't last real long. A covers act you can usually get a little more slack, as people will just enjoy your take on a song instead.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1371228879' post='2111517']
I don't think there is any mileage in being a Dr Feelgood tribute band. I doubt you'll get enough gigs and the show isn't going to be anything
more than a pub set/band, tbh.
[/quote]
A pub set/band?

That's what Dr Feelgood were. :rolleyes:

Our intentions really are no more than to just play the local pub circuit
If we get offered better venues, then great, but we just want to have fun, and any money earned would be a bonus.

The vast majority of Feelgood songs were covers, and they were really just a pub band anyway.

And don't forget, they were often described as the "Best Pub Band" in the world.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1371280449' post='2111988']
Our intentions really are no more than to just play the local pub circuit
If we get offered better venues, then great, but we just want to have fun, and any money earned would be a bonus.

The vast majority of Feelgood songs were covers, and they were really just a pub band anyway.

And don't forget, they were often described as the "Best Pub Band" in the world.
[/quote]

Yep... and who is going to want to book one and try and sell them as such.
I just don't think enough people will go to see them often enough outside of a pub...
so I don't see much point in limiting yourself to their material.

Just no real selling point., IMO

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1371282271' post='2111997']

Yep... and who is going to want to book one and try and sell them as such.
I just don't think enough people will go to see them often enough outside of a pub...
so I don't see much point in limiting yourself to their material.

Just no real selling point., IMO
[/quote]

Well if the OP thinks there's a market locally and is going to embark on this in addition to his existing gigs, what is there to lose?

They haven't got the audience that a trib for bigger name artists would draw, for sure, but even if they get a few small gigs and some extra beer tokens (as it sounds like that's the aim) then why not!

IMO to merit a tribute act, a band/artiste should have had enough 'hits' to fill a 90-minute set.

Let me now qualify that: To play only to fans of that band, you just need to learn the band's 'best' material; but to fill venues with average gig-going punters, the band needs to have had a lot of mainstream hits.

Hence, good choices for tribute bands: Queen, Rolling Stones, Abba... Not so good choices: Culture Club, T'Pau, Dr Feelgood...

If 3-hit wonders have to join forces with others to fill the bill at a Butlins weekender, what hope for the tribute bands? And when I saw Wilko Johnson, he was on a triple-header with John Otway and the Hamsters.

My advice: Yes do the Feelgoods stuff, but add in other material from the same genre/decade/trend or whatever. Ian Dury and the Blockheads? The Pirates? Dave Edmunds etc?

[b]EDIT[/b]: In short, what crez5150 said ∧∧∧

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1371280449' post='2111988']

[/quote]
The Feelgoods were at their best playing in small venues. I saw them many times in the 70s in London pubs and on the college circuit and they were definitely at their best in smaller venues like the Marquee when it was in Wardour Street with the sweat dripping off the ceiling.

Here's a thought. It's been suggested that the OP's band might go out as two separate packages - (i) a general purpose pub RnB outfit and (ii) a Feelgoods trib aimed not only at at Feelgoods fans but also ordinary punters who kinda sorta like the Feelgoods.

Perhaps a third option exists to target [i]really[/i] hardcore fans by offering a package wherein the band plays through the first two (or three) studio albums in song order. In effect, one markets the albums as much as the band. The Brig's combo could do this on an infrequent basis to mop up such potential customers as might be motivated by the hardcorey-ness of such an exercise to travel a bit further afield.

From personal experience, the minor downside to working this market is the prevalence of slightly punchy, tubby, balding, middle-aged male punters, which lends a geezer-ish tone to proceedings. The only women who tip up are usually accompanying hubby on a more or less 'indulgent' basis.

Don't get me wrong, though. They're generally a good-humoured crowd who respond well to a bit of energy and about as far removed from the Blues Police as one might imagine.