Why become a member? ×

Fender 70's Jazz - New For 2008

Hellrazor

New from Fender - the (MIM) Classic Series 70's Jazz Bass...

From the Fender Website -

"Our ’70s Jazz Bass® captures the essence of the decade; defined by striking cosmetics and a bright, full sound. The ’70s saw the repositioning of the bridge pickup (closer to the bridge), creating a brighter tone that cuts through the mix. The biggest cosmetic upgrade came in the form of gorgeous block inlays and neck binding, which are highly sought after by many bass players. The bullet truss rod completes the visual. Seventies-era Jazz Bass® guitars are widely regarded as the basses built for funk. The offset waist, ultra-slim neck and vintage-style alnico magnet Jazz Bass® single-coil pickups all make this bass very comfortable and familiar."

[url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0132000300"]http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0132000300[/url]

These fellas are on presale in the US for $699!!

Want one!!!! Now!!!

[quote name='Machines' post='212975' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:40 AM']Interesting - especially if they're better than normal MIM's.[/quote]

Depends if they do a Squier and have tighter QC on the "better" models really.

Although, I'd much rather have a current American Standard with a MOP block Rosewood board on it for the extra bits, than have one of these new MIM ones lacking the High Mass bridge, the light Schaller tuners and probably slightly better pups.

I don't see why they don't do that, apart from the fact it means their vintage line sales might drop a bit, as it's a sure fire hit.

Fender will soon be running out of reissue options.
If their marketing department gets really stuck they could reissue a vintage model of a Jazz bass made on 3rd of June, 1970 by Fred, just before his tea break!!!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='212962' date='Jun 5 2008, 09:19 AM']Anyway.. what do you want one for? if you're going to talk like that, I'll have mine back. :)[/quote]

Ah, you can never have too many 70's Jazz Basses :huh:

I like the black one....a black scratchplate would look fab on it.

[quote name='Machines' post='213029' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:39 AM']I think if they price these up for over £450 they won't sell very many.. it's getting to MIA Highway levels.[/quote]
But the inlays :) , the correct bridge p/u positioning :huh: , they'll flog plenty. And plenty more if they put the S-1 in. Will it have a 3-bolt plate though? :huh:

Yeah - but for me the improvements are all cosmetic (bar pickup positioning). Since you can get a new MIM standard for about £300 I wouldn't pay more than 50% of the existing price just for block inlays and a pickup to be moved <----------> this much.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='213035' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:46 AM']But the inlays :) , the correct bridge p/u positioning :huh: , they'll flog plenty. And plenty more if they put the S-1 in. Will it have a 3-bolt plate though? :huh:[/quote]

4 bolt plate :huh:

Bit strange actually - they have the 4 bolt plate from the earlier '70 J's and the bullet truss rod nut from the later ones.
Still, the bullet's preferable to having to remove the neck every time you need a tweak....

Is it the way the photo is lit or my dodgy screen that makes that sunburst one look 2TS and not 3TS?
I like it and I daresay I'd like one until it turned up and it needed a new set of half decent pickups and a bridge with a bit of mass.
Plus it being a MiM reissue, it'll be getting on for the price of an H1.

[quote name='Machines' post='213029' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:39 AM']I think if they price these up for over £450 they won't sell very many.. it's getting to MIA Highway levels.[/quote]

hi,i've got one of the MIM 60's jazz's shown here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20186"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20186[/url]
& it is massivley better than a std MIM bass,it creamed an H1 i tried & in fact plays almost as well as my P bass.
it cost me £540.00 after some haggling.
so don't let the MIM thing put you off build quality is better than some MIA basses i've tried.

[quote name='Nino Valenti' post='213155' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:02 PM']Wow. They are going to sell a ton of these basses!!!! They look nice but they should offer it in more colors than Black and Burst.[/quote]

how else are they going to improve next year then? the extra colours will be drip fed out...

I've just cottoned on to why Fender are releasing these now!
Up until recently there was a pretty large market in the US for importing the Japanese "non-export" instruments, of which a large proportion were the '70's reissues.
A few months ago I read that the US government had made this illegal for some reason (they do a lot of things for apparently no reason, governments do...)
so these MIM basses make perfect sense!

I think they're gorgeous but I'll probably not be getting one, like. Here's why.....

Here's one I made earlier :) :huh: :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Hellrazor' post='213283' date='Jun 5 2008, 03:42 PM']I've just cottoned on to why Fender are releasing these now!
Up until recently there was a pretty large market in the US for importing the Japanese "non-export" instruments, of which a large proportion were the '70's reissues.
A few months ago I read that the US government had made this illegal for some reason (they do a lot of things for apparently no reason, governments do...)
so these MIM basses make perfect sense!

I think they're gorgeous but I'll probably not be getting one, like. Here's why.....

Here's one I made earlier :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote]

by 'eck thats given me a bar on that 'as :)

[quote name='artisan' post='213109' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:22 PM']hi,i've got one of the MIM 60's jazz's shown here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20186"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20186[/url]
& it is massivley better than a std MIM bass,it creamed an H1 i tried & in fact plays almost as well as my P bass.
it cost me £540.00 after some haggling.
so don't let the MIM thing put you off build quality is better than some MIA basses i've tried.[/quote]

I just looked - that Jazz is gorgeous!!

[quote name='gareth' post='213317' date='Jun 5 2008, 04:19 PM']+1

I got a MIM 50's p bass for £260 used in Fiesta Red. Fantastic value and these bass are so superior to the stand MIM basses - they rival the later US vintage reissues and are far better than the MIJ/CIJ p's.[/quote]

i fully agree mate,my P is a US reissue & its not much better than my jazz,+ i agree thats it's better than any Jap' Fender i've ever owned/played.

p.s. i want a 50's P bass now,