Why become a member? ×

Fender 70's Jazz - New For 2008

Hellrazor

• 1 month later...

Just one thing for the purists, there were issues during the 70s in which the bridge pickup was [mistakenly] situated closer to the bridge than it should have been. It's nice to see that they've recreated this as well.

I can't remember where I actually read this - I think it was in the Tom Wheeler book [i]American Guitars[/i] - it was something that happened when Fender retooled their machinery to accommodate the new three-screw adjust-a-tilt neck/plate and for some reason the routing for the bridge pickup got shunted back about a half inch. It didn't affect the neck pickup position.

If you have a look at the attached photo - in Photoshop I've taken the new 70s reissue and then overlayed a 60s model - the different pickup positions are clearly visible.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='288000' date='Sep 20 2008, 02:29 PM']Aren't you supposed to spend this on alcohol?

Kids today, huh?
P[/quote]

that's what my daughter thought her grant was going to go on, until she found out how expensive the books for her course were...

I had to stump up £150 at short notice on Thursday as her grant doesn't come through for a week or two yet, but they expect her to have the books now for the lessons...

That's just the books for the one subject she's had so far... and the college library doesn't have them yet as the course is only in it's first year of presentation...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='287937' date='Sep 20 2008, 12:16 PM']If you have a look at the attached photo - in Photoshop I've taken the new 70s reissue and then overlayed a 60s model - the different pickup positions are clearly visible.[/quote]

hah... my Squier VMJ which is supposed to be '70's styled has the pickup in the 60's position then...

Don't get me started on uni books, I've spent roughly £200 on six or seven books during just one year, them all being 1000+ pages of technical jargon which really you only need to read a few hundred at most to have enough knowledge to do the coursework and pass the exams.

Besides, I never said I was going to buy one, I'm going there for a look-see and some strings :)