Why become a member? ×

I want to be in a band ...

AndyBob09

That works hard.

My Facebook feed this week has been filled with a mate's band who are currently supporting Megadeth on their UK tour, a covers band who have just been to Amsterdam for a few gigs and numerous people playing every sort of gig and rehearsal. - I know none of these things come overnight and only with hard work.

I'm sick of seeing bands working their arses off and then look at my originals band, where no1 does anything, ever (even rehearse!) - A quarter of this is me too but why should I make an effort when the other three don't give a monkey's arse?

My wedding and function band has a manager (who is also our drummer), who is paid £154 every time we get a wedding booking on top a player's fee but I'm not even sure he is proactive ENOUGH in getting us gigs - We played more weddings last year than we did this year. However, the weddings we played last year, he was only paid something like £80 per wedding booking - Meaning he'd have to book more gigs to get paid more.

I just want to get out and have a good play and work hard.

The reasons that my last originals band fell apart - we had the songs, but lack of direction and push ended it for me. Drummer and myself were pushing, but the 'main' man, who's band it was (and exercised creative control over the songs, but never my bass parts), just sat back and talked about it!

Current covers/originals project is better, but I know how find it is to get like-minded individuals.

If you find any, let me know!

I think the problem is that a lot of musicians are lazy and think that just because they have some technical ability, everything else will fall into place without them really needing to do anything else...

I'm on the other side of the fence to the OP. I'm in a band playing our own material, that has been growing a nation-wide fan base over the last 3 years, is about to release our second single and has (paid) gig offers coming in from all over the country and are just starting to get offers to come and tour in Europe. However over the last 12 months since we really stepped up the amount of work we were putting into the band we've had difficulties hanging on to drummers and guitarists.

The story goes a bit like this:

We advertise for a replacement musician and get a whole load of replies. Some don't like the music - that's understandable. But plenty do and we arrange for the more interesting and enthusiastic ones to come for an audition. We don't expect any of them to learn an unfeasible number of new songs, we give them three that we'd like them to be able to play and also explain that we'll end the session with a bit of a jam on something new so we can see how they'll cope with writing parts.

And what do we get? A few don't bother to turn up or even get in touch again. A lot appear to have done nothing other than listen to the songs for the first time on the way to the audition and consequently can't really play any of the stuff we asked them to learn. Luckily someone will have actually learnt the songs and might also be able to come up with appropriate parts for the new song we try out with them. They seem to be a person we can get on with and we offer them a place in the band.

What happens next is they find out that actually being in a band like ours isn't just about a weekly rehearsal and the occasional gig. Right now we are getting good gig offers that at the minimum cover our travelling and other expenses at least once a week, and if we took everything we were offered we could be doubling that. And if we're playing out of town (which a good two-thirds of our gigs are these days, because that's where our audience is) then you are going to expect not to get back home until the small hours of the morning. But that's the reality of being in a developing band nowadays.

In many ways a lot of the hard work has already been done: we have a back catalogue of about 3 sets worth of song written, we have an enthusiastic following in the places we play regularly and don't seem to have much of a problem winning over new fans. The recordings and merchandise are all already paid for, we don't expect them to put any money in other than the occasional rehearsal room fees (when the gig money doesn't cover next week's practice), and we are offering an equal split of any songwriting credits and royalties. But still it seems to be too difficult for a lot of musicians, and unfortunately they decide that they would prefer an easier life - albeit one with a lot less musical fun and excitement. And we find ourselves back at square one trying to find someone who'll be right for the band and hoping it will be a bit more permanent this time.

The days of being whisked of to stardom at a record company's expense are long gone. But you can still get out and have some fun playing great original music in front of a responsive crowd and not be out of pocket at the end of the evening, provided you are prepared to work at it and have a late night once or twice a week. I also don't expect and of them to put all the time and effort that the sing and myself but in on top of the rehearsing and gigging - though we'd never say no if someone did want to add more to the band. Turning up for rehearsals and gigs and performing like you mean it will be fine for us.

Sorry for the rant and sort of hi-jacking the OPs thread but this has been something that's been threatening to boil over for the last couple of weeks now...

Some peoples priorities change - my punk covers band The Daves, when I joined, were doing 3 or 4 gigs a month. Since we split, then re-formed, the agreement is 6 gigs a year. Now I`m fine with that as I have another band, but if I didn`t, well I`d be looking for another band to join.

Yes, people's priorities do change, but the experience with my band recently has been too many musicians like the idea of being in a band but aren't prepared to put in even the minimum work required to be in one that is any more than the occasional bit of fun.

My Mod "Band" folded today after me joining last October. Learned maybe 15 of the set list to original recordings but only had 3 band practices in that time on maybe the same 3/4 of the set list. No singer until a guy auditioned last month. Thought it might go somewhere ..and it did.. straight in the bin. My first Band experience and I'm trying to take the good things from it that I learned a set list, could play in time to the original scores, enjoyed locking in with the drummer and enjoyed playing along to a singer, had ample time to learn a set list.... and try to leave behind the poor stuff... not much Band practice, no singer, an assxxxx of a guitard, no say in the Band name or the set list and not up to gig standard after all that time. Looking forward and taking the good stuff with me..... parking the poor stuff up the Mod's ass :D Should have known really..Mods and Rockers don't mix :lol:

i try and go to any local venue I see advertising original bands but the truth of the matter is they are very poorly attended and in the end the venue can't afford to carry on hosting it so knocks it on the head. There just aren't enough people going out anymore to watch original bands so it's very hard to get regular work

As AcDc said it's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1370628502' post='2103761']
Unless you are playing somewhere that supports originals music, you are on a downer. Most folk who go to bars, want to here stuff they know and if you aint got a following, you are f***ed! Play covers and throw in a few originals and get them known otherwise you are on a hiding to nothing
[/quote]

Plenty of places putting on original music being attended by enthusiastic audiences and able to pay the bands that play provided that:

1. Your band is entertaining

2. Your band is prepared to travel to these venues

3. You are prepared to put in the work required to get these gigs

Nobody said it is easy...you have good days and bad days but as long as you can put yourself in a position to be able to go
forward, you'll probably be able to stick with it..
but sometimes to get a pro attitude, you need to be pro about it ALL... and that might start with being able to pay people.

Pubs are too much effort for the money..IMO... so you need to be breaking £100 per head more often than not to get and keep the commitment
from your gigs...
I guess there is easier money out there...

I've given up using the Internet to search for bands. Believe it or not, my old band, who are 2.5 hours drive away, want to play a few weddings this year so I've agreed and ill tie the rehearsals in with family visits.

Sounds ridiculous considering I live in a city with a lot of music, but I know the band in my home town takes little work and we don't need to rehearse much to be good.

So far, 7-8 failed attempts in the North East. ALL time wasters and dreamers off joinmyband.co.uk.