Why become a member? ×

Auditioning for new band members (at last)....

51m0n

Well my band has been a really fantastic project up until now, great chaps, who I really get on well with, playing music we all absolutely love: funk, instrumental, very often highly improvised with large extended sections rather than typical song structures - totally self indulgent, and to hell with punters who don't dig it.

For the last 6 months we've been trying to find some more like minded people, there is only so much that we can do as a three piece (bass, drums, guitar) and we've drawn a complete blank for the entire time. Not that this has really worried us, we arent working to any kind of timescale since we are all old farts who are in it for the love of the funk and nothing more.

Now all of a sudden I have found a keyboard player who is interested in seeing if we gel together, he's older even than us, and as far as I can tell has had a lot of experience, although none of it really in funk, which is a bit of a worry, I'd rather not have a Wakeman-esque be-cloaked chap on keys if I'm honest, he can be as Bernie Stevie Worrel Wonder as he likes though...

As if that weren't enough it turns out a chap at work has played various horns for years (tuba and bone mainly) and works a lot with a lady trumpet player (she tends to sort out the dots, he can read anything, she has magic ears for horn lines apparently) and they have both expressed an interest. I am not expecting a miniature Tower of Power horn section, but I am hoping for something pretty good as it goes, and being just two horns they dont need to be quite as tight as a larger section IME.

So this Sunday all three are turning up to see if we can make a vaguely cohesive noise and still retain the grooviness and laughter we have been enjoying to date. They've had access to our last recorded gig, and seem keen.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice on how to deal with a band literally doubling in size over night, (its a hell of a shake up in the social dynamic!) or anything to watch for with any of the new chaps. I'm a bit concerned that if the keys player doesnt really fit he may well put off the horns (or vice versa).

As for the 'core' members, we are happy to have these people join of they bring the funk and want to help out, but by the same merit we arent concerned if they either dont want to join or can't be regular 'full time' band members ( with some obvious caveats around preparation and doing their homework).

The two horns can be transient members but the keys less so, IMO.

To check him out...and maybe his particular musical bent, I would see what kit he has..and how he has used it...as this will point to what sort
of work he has done before.
Some keys are great for some things and rubbish for others, but he should know his onions wigth reards to core sounds.
He needs a great acoustic piano, and even better elec pianos and he needs to be able to make a very decent fist at
organs of various types. He should know what sounds he is going after..and if he knows the sounds as you probably do within a funk line-up.
then you'll know what he listens too.
I'd ask him who his fav players are..and if he says Richard Tee, then you are cooking.. :lol: but is if the answer is a bland generic type, beware.
The type of keys he runs is pretty important but less so that he knows how to get sounds from them..
I probably wouldn't get them all together by design myself as you are introducing a few too variables at the same time and it would be harder to control the 'jam/audition' to cater for all.
Having said that..if you did all gell at the same time that would be a massive bonus.

[size=6][sub]With regards to kit...his backline is crucial...stereo or mono ..??[/sub][/size]
[size=6][sub]How many keys he will carry as my guess would be the only single keyb for a funk unit would be a Stage ll..and even then he'd be struggling with synthy type sounds, IME.[/sub][/size]
[size=6][sub]I'd say Nord for Pianos and Organ and a Roland type for synths... and how good is he at getting 'into' the sounds and [/sub][/size]
[size=6][sub]triggering them.[/sub][/size]
[size=6][sub]That is after you actually like his 'mojo'.. :lol:[/sub][/size]

Heh, yeah the kit thing will be interesting, I know he's bringing a Roland of some sort with him to the rehearsal, but I know he's been out of the loop for a while so I'm not massively worried - after all I was out of the gigging scene for 5+ years, and my kit list went down to a bass and not much else, however now I have some of the nicest gear available (heh IMO :)).

But very very good points, what would he be looking to get (assuming he isnt running a really great keyboard and amp) is definitely one of the questions I might ask 'by the by' as it were.

Personally I think stereo backline is pretty daft for live, anything that isnt a fat pad sound wants to be a point source in a live band mix, most of the funky sounds in my head arent fat pad sounds at all, but clavis, organs, analogue synths etc (OK so hammond gets 'stereoised' in a lot of recordings, but live IME a leslie is definitely a point source, and a glorious one at that).

Most important to me is does he have 'it' for a funk band, whereby he can leave space and just add to the groove without having a really heavy left hand getting in the way. Tricky, I've only met two or three keys players who could really do that in 20 years, and all the rest have been various levels of tragically not right for funk :(

As for getting sounds, if he plays a Roland he's doomed, programming those things is a total nightmare :D

Well that was totally amazing, best rehearsal ive ever had.

Keys player is more Dr John than anything else in a very good way, and not over doing it at all so far

The horns were just staggering though, really funky, super quick to produce some amazing lines.

All really nice people, we got on like a house on fire, and tore the roof clean off the place...

Stoked and buzzing, woot!!!!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1370862701' post='2106377']
f*** Dr John..!!!! keep him/lock him up and wrap him in cotton wool..!! :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

I hear you, I hear you!

Really laid back guy, hadnt played out in 6 years (he mentioned since his parents died, so I think he maybe took a big step back from things at that point), pretty nervous as a result.

His kit wasnt anything to write home about at all, generic Roland workstation thing, didnt have a lead even, was starting to think we were guranteed a right off here. Then he started playing and was just really in tune with the horns and us, poking little bits of tasty piano in and around what was being laid down by everyone else. Big on listening before playing too. Turns out he had flogged all his other kit when he stopped playing, light bars, three or four keyboards, monitor rig, all gone. BUt the next thing he said was "How big a backline do you reckon I'm going to need to keep up with you lot live?", so he is already looking to get the kit he needs to gig with us asap.

Later on he pulled up some strings as well, damn I forgot how good strings can sound in a band under horns, very very nice, not what I expected at all, especially given the AC/DC T-shirt :D

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1370862991' post='2106386']
Sounds great, hope to catch you live some time.
[/quote]

Well we covered half the set (roughly but stil incredible work rate for a doubling in size of the band) - hoping to be gigging next month. Or maybe later this month if we can get it together fast enough (big big if that one)

Oh yeah, what the bone player didnt mention was, he plays bass bone, so the big daddy of cinematc brass.

Holy cow does that thing sound like the shizzle, I am not kidding its just the coolest big raspberry bumble bee type of thing at times and gels perfectly with the trumpet, honestly sounded like far more than two horns.

Cant wait for the nxt rehearsal, been listening to the recording all night and day since :D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1370822756' post='2106086']
Well that was totally amazing, best rehearsal ive ever had.

Keys player is more Dr John than anything else in a very good way, and not over doing it at all so far

The horns were just staggering though, really funky, super quick to produce some amazing lines.

All really nice people, we got on like a house on fire, and tore the roof clean off the place...

Stoked and buzzing, woot!!!!!
[/quote]awesome news mate! I'm delighted for you!