Why become a member? ×

Beatles N00b seeking recommendation

xilddx

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370453147' post='2101203']
I told my therapist of my dislike of The Mopped Top sensations and he advised me to take each LP out of it's sleeve and launch them frisbee-like out of an upstairs window. They never come back you know. :blink:
[/quote]

I told my therapist I didn't like the Beatles , and he told me it didn't really matter whether I liked them or not because this was a secure psychiatric unit for dangerous offenders and I wouldn't have access to a CD player anytime in the forseeable future because I might try and fashion a weapon to harm myself or others out of the equipment or indeed the discs themselves . I suppose the fact that I had spent the previous three months telling him I actually was one of the Beatles didn't help my cause .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HanKNe502i4 i like this. The beatles are odd - great music but much like the stone roses first album - nowdays something about the production and mastering makes it sound a little flatter than other stuff to my ears (yes I know that this is very possibly cos it's actually better quality etc) you have to stick with it to enjoy it.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370454361' post='2101237']
I told my therapist I didn't like the Beatles , and he told me it didn't really matter whether I liked them or not because this was a secure psychiatric unit for dangerous offenders and I wouldn't have access to a CD player anytime in the forseeable future because I might try and fashion a weapon to harm myself or others out of the equipment or indeed the discs themselves . I suppose the fact that I had spent the previous three months telling him I actually was one of the Beatles didn't help my cause .
[/quote]
It must have been the same place me. If you ever go back (or are still in) you can just about get a CD through the bars of the windows and with a deft flick of the wrist it's amazing how far they go.

P.S. If you are a Beatle then who are the other two?

Edited by BetaFunk

She Said She Said is my favourite so far, Eleanor Rigby is very nice, heard that before of course. I'm surprised how decent Harrison is on sitar, he does a pretty good job. McCartney plays nice lines. I've seen him live in the '80s and I was impressed by his solo stuff. So far only one song has moved me on this, She Said She Said, it's got nice harmony and melody that resonates with me.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370455001' post='2101255']
It must have been the same place me. If you ever go back (or are still in) you can just about get a CD through the bars of the windows and with a deft flick of the wrist it's amazing how far they go.

[/quote]
Jimmy Saville promised to bring me some CDs next time he came to visit , but I am still waiting .

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370455001' post='2101255']
I

P.S. If you are a Beatle then who are the other two?
[/quote]

The other are alien reptiles masquerading in human form in order to take over Earth and enslave its' inhabitants . That's why the band broke up . Everyone blames it on Yoko but she just wanted us to let her tie herself up in a sack and do a bit of wailing every so often so she could call herself an artist instead of having to spend all her time in the kitchen making sushi for everyone all the time .

This might help.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beatles+full+album&oq=beatles+full+album&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.9908.16769.0.20708.18.11.0.7.7.0.95.966.11.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.TH4_YZp7HD4"]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beatles+full+album&oq=beatles+full+album&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.9908.16769.0.20708.18.11.0.7.7.0.95.966.11.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.TH4_YZp7HD4[/url]

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1370456715' post='2101288']
This might help.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beatles+full+album&oq=beatles+full+album&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.9908.16769.0.20708.18.11.0.7.7.0.95.966.11.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.TH4_YZp7HD4"]http://www.youtube.c...ube.TH4_YZp7HD4[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks mate, but I buy all my music :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370455996' post='2101276']
She Said She Said is my favourite so far, Eleanor Rigby is very nice, heard that before of course. I'm surprised how decent Harrison is on sitar, he does a pretty good job. McCartney plays nice lines. I've seen him live in the '80s and I was impressed by his solo stuff. So far only one song has moved me on this, She Said She Said, it's got nice harmony and melody that resonates with me.
[/quote]

Have a look a this fella playing drums to She Said She Said, Ringo is really a great drummer and this chap nails it spot on!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYEdUQdMGG0

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1370457776' post='2101306']
Skip all the early crap and go straight to Wings......the band the Beatles could have been ;)
[/quote]

Scrub that, just skipped through Band on the Run. That's all crap too :P

[/quote]

For me, Tomorrow Never Knows and For No One are my favourite ones on Revolver. Actually I think For No One is my favourite Beatles tune.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1370457767' post='2101305']
Have a look a this fella playing drums to She Said She Said, Ringo is really a great drummer and this chap nails it spot on!!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYEdUQdMGG0[/media]
[/quote]

Very good innit! The way he gives a droplet of swing to those 8s sections is lovely and full of character. I like the song even more now.

See I'm used to stuff more like this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigSAYrwluA

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1370458111' post='2101313']
Scrub that, just skipped through Band on the Run. That's all crap too :P
[/quote]

You know what, I liked Wings! Probably because they did a James Bond theme and Lennon wasn't in them.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1370459498' post='2101348']
Sorry, but I'll stick my neck out and say they are all wonderful in different ways, but as a starting point I would say Revolver. Man you have got some fantastic listening hours coming your way, lucky you.
[/quote]

It's not moved me much so far mate, but She Said She Said really did, and a second listen has confirmed it. So I'll persevere. I only heard the whole of Rumours for the first time a few months ago, and it didn't really move me much either, except for one song which blew me away, Dreams.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1370454344' post='2101235']
I'm reading Howard Kaylan's autobiography at the moment, he describes when the Turtles met Lennon for the first time, the Beatles being their idols, and he was such an arsehole to them, to the guitarist in particular who was a bit in awe of them, that the guitarist ran out the restaurant and flew back to the States and never played music again. Lennon took the piss out of him so badly. So Lennon being a total c*** is a big issue for me.
[/quote]
I've always thought Lennon came across as a total **** too.

Lennon did a very similar thing to a young Todd Rundgren which led to an exchange of open letters between them in either Melody Maker or NME.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1370459242' post='2101337']
For me, Tomorrow Never Knows and For No One are my favourite ones on Revolver. Actually I think For No One is my favourite Beatles tune.
[/quote]
I was talking about "For No One" with a friend the other day.
It is a great song indeed.

I'm surprised how decent Harrison is on sitar, he does a pretty good job. McCartney plays nice lines.
[/quote]

I find that Harrison's songs are usually among my favourites on the Beatles albums and revolver is no exception. Taxman has a nice bass line, as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHRrHMxORY

In fact, all things considered, my favourite 'beatles' album could just be All Things Must Pass. ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1370462552' post='2101435']
I find that Harrison's songs are usually among my favourites on the Beatles albums and revolver is no exception. Taxman has a nice bass line, as shown here: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHRrHMxORY[/media]

In fact, all things considered, my favourite 'beatles' album could just be All Things Must Pass. ;)
[/quote]

It's a good song, not doing it for me yet though. Liking Dr Robert.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1370452602' post='2101186']
In that case, work your way forward from Rubber Soul (though take Skank's advice about Yellow Submarine - although Hey Bulldog is worth a listen).

Sgt Pepper suffers, I think, from being overly lauded as THE album that changed everything. it's good, but probably not THAT good.

If I had to choose one album for my desert island I'd struggle to decide between the White album or Abbey Road. I reckon it would be Abbey Road by the slimmest of margins.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I would've written. That is: if I'd been able to write it.
Whatever you do else, you must hear "Blackbird" and you must hear "The Long and Winding Road". IMEHO
(excrutiatingly)

Have fun!

Edit: and yes, indeed "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "For No-one"

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor