Why become a member? ×

Amp choice advice

jmchich

I'm a little way away from buying anything giggable yet, I just have a practice amp. But I'd really appreciate some suggestions on amp heads that I can buy (2nd hand is fine) for £500 or less. I'd be looking for something that can handle everything from reggae to punk, via metal, blues and fingerstyle funk. I'm currently looking at a Barefaced Compact as it would allow me to add another cab for bigger gigs, while being a good all-rounder on a budget. Any ideas? For a newb, the vast choice out there is overwhelming. All I really know right now is want a big bottom end (don't we all ;) ). A bigger, heavier amp is not a big problem as the light barefaced cabs would cancel that out to some degree.

Thanks in advance,

John

For a good versatile amp, I`d look at TC Electronics. Due to the Tubetone and Spectracomp features, they can go from downright Lemmy-filth, to super clean funk slap sounds. The RH450 has an in-built tuner, and 3 pre-sets so with the on-board gain, compression, and tuner, cuts down on the need for extra pedals. New the RH450 is £600ish, so second hand on here would be within budget.

That said, my usual advice is go and see bands, and when you hear bassists whose tone you like, have a look at their gear. For me, it was Markbass - whenever I saw (make that heard) a bassist whose sound I loved, inevitably they were using Markbass.

So written recommendations are fine, but your ears have to be happy.

Looking at MarkBass' website, Robbie Shakespeare uses them. That's a recommendation right there.

Only issue I can see is that it says "Minimum ohm load for all Markbass heads is 4 ohms." Does that mean you can't use an 8 ohm cab, or have I got myself mixed up? I get a bit confused how the ohm ratings work.

[quote name='jmchich' timestamp='1369922441' post='2094496']
The RH450 is actually up on ebay, shipped from the US, for less than £400 (brand new). Now that's a steal. The psu is auto-switching, so no issues with power either.
[/quote]

Shipped from US means VAT, duty and fees.