Why become a member? ×

New pink Westfield B1000 on ebay for £49

jimbaby

Flats are on, nut filed down to drop the action at the first fret, shielded the cavity yesterday and it's now silent, except for when I pluck the strings but I found that if I turn the first of the two silver knobs fully one way, it stops even that noise! ;)

Aye, not bad at all for £50 - I was toying with the idea of putting a cheap pink pearloid scratchplate on it. If in doubt, tort.

Yep - there's something about cheap P-basses that guarantees that any replacement you buy [i]will not fit[/i] ! I first learned this when trying to replace the shattered plate on my Kay P-bass in 1989. Even a build a couple of years ago on a supposedly Fender licenced body didn't fit! <_<

It's either:

- the lower horn goes right to the edge of the body, looks too sharp
- the neck cutout doesn't line up
- the control cavity is exposed

I got the last two to fit with a bit of work - one on a Vintage V4 (earlier model) and the other was on an SX, which I put a mirrored one on (and has done the rounds on here!)

Spent this afternoon getting my girlfriend's white/rw one of these in order, and it's actually turned out really well...

My thoughts:

+ Smooth, straight neck
+ Well fitted and levelled frets
+ Accurately cut nut
+ Hardware solid (if basic)
+ Nicely figured fretboard
+ Finish near-perfect (only one minor blemish on back)
+ Neck pocket tight
+ Neck alignment good

- No shielding of routs / cavities
- One tuning machine cosmetically different to other three
- Pickup housing non-standard shape / size
- Pickguard seems very soft plastic

x Pickup not to my liking
x Strings not to my liking

So the good points really do massively outweigh the minor demerits, and the last two are just personal taste! With a couple of hours fettling time and the addition of half a roll of copper tape, some straplocks, new Rotosounds and the old pickup from my MIJ Classic 70s P, it's turned into a really nice second bass for her; absolutely amazing for the money, and the colour is great!

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1370166531' post='2097068'] pics when you do, in full flow, volume up to eleven, please :) [/quote]

Oh.. it'll happen, don't you worry! :D

Edit:
Kitted out and ready to go home. Phone camera, but...

Edited by Ed_S

Was sent here from another thread and just ordered one today.

Alas they were out of stock of the black Pickguard/Maple neck versions so went white/rosewood. I was going to swap the pickguard for a matt black one anyway, really wanted the maple neck though but for that price I'll take what I can lol.

If anyone decideds they'd prefer a maple neck and wanna swap gimme a shout.

Edit: Just had a call back from the awesome Magnus, he managed to find a black/maple bass in the back of the stockroom, his last one. Cashback!

Edited by Valhalalf

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I just ordered one right now! Results soon.

By the way, they have again the maple neck with black pickguard version in their ebay page.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181172871657"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181172871657[/url]

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1370869867' post='2106580']
Was sent here from another thread and just ordered one today.

Alas they were out of stock of the black Pickguard/Maple neck versions so went white/rosewood.
[/quote]

I got all excited when I saw this cos' I thought you meant white body and rosewood neck. The pink doesn't offend me in anyway shape or form but I need a Sid Vicious P bass for a one off Pistols tribute (yeah yeah I know, I was pissed at a gig, singer introduced me to his mate from his punk band times and when I woke up the next day I'd signed up :o ).

Still it's quite tempting at 50 sheets anyway.

My daughter keeps saying "mummy can you get me a bass with four strings like daddy?"

As she is a real girly girl and loves pink I'm quite tempted to buy one, stash it in the attic and spend the next few years upgrading the pickups, hardware etc until she's big enough to play a full-scale bass.

A pleasure dealing with you sir - glad you like it! ;) Funnily enough, I did at one point consider looking for a cheap Westfield Jazz to swap necks - seemed more appropriate, somehow.

I love the twin-P configuration - I've got to stop looking at pictures of older BC Rich Eagles.

Edited by Green Alsatian

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1373397314' post='2137163']
Thinking of picking one of these up, can anyone give me the approximate weight? Also what is the finish on the neck?
[/quote]

rear of neck is satin finish..weight is on the light side...far lighter than a mim.

mines been in the caravan awning all week so i can have little noodle whilst away for a few days..amplug n headphones n phone..been great fun..neck not shifted!

I just got a pre-loved one for £25 and stuck some flats on it. Unfortunately mine's all black but the previous gent was nice enough to give me a pink, fluffy strap.
I'm quite impressed with how responsive the tone knob is, sounds smooth as hell with it rolled all the way down. Definitely worth a buy to noodle around with.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1373543298' post='2138818']
A pleasure dealing with you sir - glad you like it! ;) Funnily enough, I did at one point consider looking for a cheap Westfield Jazz to swap necks - seemed more appropriate, somehow.

I love the twin-P configuration - I've got to stop looking at pictures of older BC Rich Eagles.
[/quote]

Likewise, on both counts :)

Had a good play with mine during practice, all's well except for a few niggling problems:

1: The frets are mostly fine but there's a few sharp ones.
2: I turned my OD pedal on and OH DEAR JESUS THE FEEDBACK MAKE IT STOP! - I definitely should have shielded it like previous posters have.
3: The strap doesn't distribute enough weight across my shoulder and feels awkward after a while. Obviously it's not a problem with the bass itself but I really did want to play at least one gig using that fabulous strap.

Still, for £50 brand new it's a bloody bargain and it was a pleasant change for me from playing a jazz.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know where I would be able to get one for that sort of price? I'd love to get one as a back up to my current one and kit it out just like the one I have. I actually got given a purple one by a friend who gave up playing. The original pick ups in it weren't bad but I had to do the usual and stick some Seymour Duncans in it.

Probably want to get one in blue or pink but has to have a maple board on it to match the other one

Cheers!