Why become a member? ×

ID a Bass

waynepunkdude

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369326330' post='2087866']
[url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/bass/a-100_200.html"]Aria A-200[/url]
[/quote]
Or one of the other brands like Silvertone or Clearsound. Quite a few of these about, some with slight variations, and they didn't all seem to originate from the same factory.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1369340333' post='2088168']
Or one of the other brands like Silvertone or Clearsound. Quite a few of these about, some with slight variations, and they didn't all seem to originate from the same factory.
[/quote]

Less likely. All the non-Aria versions I've seen have two large rocker switches for the pickups instead of the single toggle selector of the Aria.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369343517' post='2088255']
Less likely. All the non-Aria versions I've seen have two large rocker switches for the pickups instead of the single toggle selector of the Aria.
[/quote]
There's quite a few minor differences I've seen, including the models with only 2 knobs (ooo-er) and those with a 6 bolt neck. Whether these were variations from the same factory, or came from somewhere else entirely is hard to figure out because they all seem to lose the name on the headstock. Which brings us back to an old JapCrap axiom - it's not [i]Brand X[/i] unless it says [i]Brand X[/i] on the headstock.

Talking of which - I don't ever remember seeing one with such a dark headstock. Has it been stained Wayne?

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1369943772' post='2094876']
It is a Japanese Silvertone. They had this body shape, which Gibson recently copied for the new EB Bass.
[/quote]
A lot of brands had this shape. It's Japanese but i've never seen a Silvertone with a sloping neck pickup. Also most Silvertones i've seen have three (tone/volume) knobs whereas mine has two. The search continues.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1369943772' post='2094876']
It is a Japanese Silvertone. They had this body shape, which Gibson recently copied for the new EB Bass.
[/quote]
Forget what i said before Tom as i think you are spot on. I bow to your superior knowledge on these things!

I've been doing a bit more digging on the net and someone sent me a photo of a Silvertone guitar with a sloping pickup and it looks so similar to my bass.

So this is / was a Silvertone! Ignore the dodgy scratchplate and respray. After 20+ years I finally know :) Its a short scale to btw.

[URL=http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/apasher/media/DSCN0442.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q491/apasher/DSCN0442.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

A

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1370559314' post='2102876']
Just a quick update, I have been giving the bass a new lease of life, it is almost done.
[/quote]
Good job. It looks really good. Did you mange to get a bridge cover?

P.S. Forgot to say to say Wayne that i must apologise for hijacking this thread at one point but hoped that someone would point me in the right direction as to what my bass was as the body was so similar. Now i know what it is i won't hijack it again. Good luck with the bass!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1370559715' post='2102882']
Good job. It looks really good. Did you mange to get a bridge cover?

P.S. Forgot to say to say Wayne that i must apologise for hijacking this thread at one point but hoped that someone would point me in the right direction as to what my bass was as the body was so similar. Now i know what it is i won't hijack it again. Good luck with the bass!
[/quote]

Not yet but I'm sure one will come along.

No hijack my friend we both had similar basses with similar origins, very interesting indeed.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1370560322' post='2102890']
Ditto on the hi-jack :blush: Nice job btw :) You do like your chequer don't you B) Mines got a really nice thumpy sound. (Granted it bares no relation to the original!). What are those pick ups like? A
[/quote]

I'm not really sure yet, when I get it all together and set it up I will post some sound files.