Why become a member? ×

Insuring gear for gigging

I couldn't find a topics on this, so thought I'd ask the question (apologies if this has been covered a thousand times).

I haven't insured my equipment for a while now (I used to insure my gear), but given the fact that my band is now playing a number of venues we haven't played played before, I'd like to insure my gear (basses, amp and cabs). Cover would ideally include instruments left unattended in a car while we load/unload.

I don't think my gear would be adequately covered by my house insurance but am not sure. I've got a few expensive basses that I would like to gig rather than them just sit at home under-employed and wondered if anyone has any recommendations at all.

I'm not a member of the MU, so wouldn't benefit from any of their schemes etc.

Thanks in advance.

I used to use Musicguard, but their requirements became too restrictive so I switched to New Moon. They're really cool to deal with over the phone and get the needs of reular giggers. I took their "Harmonic" cover, which includes unattended in-vehicle cover (assuming you've left the vehicle properly secured with gear out of sight)

Home insurance most likely will not cover theft if an item is left unconcealed in an unlocked vehicle. The usual cover for vehicle theft is it must be concealed in a boot (or glove compartment) & the vehicle must be locked.
Also if using your home insurance, let them know if the gigs are amateur, or if you earn money. Shouldn't increase your premium, but if you earn money & they don't know, then they might refuse your claim.

I use New Moon. It includes PLI when you insure your gear (even if you just cover your bass).

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1368705402' post='2080363']
Why not just join the Musicians' Union? You get cover for public liability while you're gigging too, just in case you have someone's eye out with your headstock or electrocute someone.
[/quote]
Musicguard Insurance offer this too btw.

A "Boot" is not a hatchback, if the "Boot" can be reached by lowering the back seats, regardless of this been the mode of theft, you will not get paid out.
Been there and done that.
You need to read the full contract not the summary which is really an advertisement.
I was caught out by a clause on page 9 section 3:2 amendment 6 which now replaces amendment 4a of page 3 section 2a paragraph b.

Or that is what the FSA said.

Sneaky, very sneaky and greasy companies.

Musicguard

They just this afternoon paid out £3648 on my amps that were stolen which was the full insured value of them.

Once I was able to prove ownership the whole claim took 6 working days.

I will continue to insure with them and recommend them to anyone looking for gear insurance.

Sounds like they all have PLI with them.
Zurich don't sound too promising if that's their definition of a boot, so wise to check your insurance for any limitations.
I've always thought that there should only be 1 FSA & now there is, & that's for food (they was more honest & better at regulating money than the hokey one too).