Why become a member? ×

Astounding sounds , amazing music. One of hawkwinds superior albums

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1368184789' post='2074153']
It's always been one of my least favourite Hawkwind albums, though I know plenty of hardcore fans who love it.
[/quote]
That's the thing . I think it was the al um after warrior on the edge of time .
Nothing can follow that IMHO . But it is brilliant in its own way and direction.

Good album but a definite departure from the previous couple of albums. Great all rounder and has some cracking tracks - very little beats Steppenwolf IMO.

As an aside, the band are playing WOTEOT on tour this year - considering traveling to see it, as they're not doing anywhere local to me ¬¬

I love the title...and unfortunately that's about it. With the exception of one or two songs, I just can't get on with that era of Hawkwind (the era I always refer to as "Calvert-era" as he was doing most of the lead vocals; basically everything from ASAM through PXR5).

For me - sorry Kev, but it's the "endless space synth workouts" that really make Hawkwind for me. I personally think Warrior was their last consistently good album, but then to each his own, eh?

At the end of the day, theres so much to choose from. Quite prolific little space trolls, werent/arent they? Tho ASAM not one of my faves, its still in my collection.

"....fell onto the carpet, crawled across the floor, up on my shelf, inside my piggy bank, and............stole my stash."

"STOLE MY STASH!!!!"

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1368185660' post='2074169']
At the end of the day, theres so much to choose from. Quite prolific little space trolls, werent/arent they? Tho ASAM not one of my faves, its still in my collection.

"....fell onto the carpet, crawled across the floor, up on my shelf, inside my piggy bank, and............stole my stash."

Brilliant;)

"STOLE MY STASH!!!!"
[/quote]

I have to say this was also one of my least favourite albums of theirs. Lemmy was absolutely right on this one: when they kicked him out they lost their cojones. I think there was also a lot of underlying tension in the band as Nik Turner was turfed out soon after.

It'll always be Space Ritual for me. :)

Captain Lockheed and the Starfigthers! Warriors, and many more, The amazing guitar playing of Huw Lloyd Langton (F451 in particular), Dave Brocks sonic experiments, Lemmy .....

Hawkwind brings back lost memories (I think lol) of times on the floor of my mate's flat in a purple haze, for many days. NO more thankfully lol!

Edited by Lynottfan

I've never got around to buying ASAM - come close, but always been put off!

I love the band with Lemmy, and without him, I dunno, the records kind of lose their appeal a little.

Saying that, 'In Search Of Space' is sans-Lemmy and is a fantastic album. Get the bonus tracks reissue, and you get 'Silver Machine' as well - so you can get some Lem on there! :)[size=4] [/size]

I first saw Hawkwind playing outside a large inflatable tent at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival, I think this was even before Lemmy joined. I saw them quite a few times after that, including the full "Space Ritual" concerts three times. They were a hell of a live band, with a brilliant light show (for the early 70s). An added bonus at most Hawkwind gigs around that time was watching dancer Stacia do her stuff, which certainly added to the pure energy that the band was producing on stage. They were never the same after Dik Mik, Lemmy, Bob Cavert and Nik Turner departed the band.