Why become a member? ×

Fender "original" pickups for p bass

Geek99

Ok thanks - my second question was more for the discerning fender fact heads :)

What do they sound like ?
I just won a mex classic 50s pup on eBay so wondering whether to use it or splash the extra for the after market fender "original"

Edited by Geek99

I`ve had a few of these. They`re very balanced in my view, smooth lows and highs, no real over-bearing frequency bumps. Through an amp set flat they have that traditional woody tone. They`re the sort of pickup that reacts well to the dynamics of your playing - back off a bit and smooth/syrupy tones, push the amp with gain, or hit the strings hard and get some grit. They come on both the 62 and 57 I think.

+1 to all that. I had one in my gigging P bass until a month or so ago. I had no complaints about it, I just wanted so something slightly different.
To my ears it had just the right amount of woody tone to it to make my P sound like a P bass should.

I had one of these pickups in one of my basses after I played a '62 AVRI and loved the tone. I agree with all the above descriptions of it's tone. They really are nice.
They also came fitted in some of the custom shop P-basses too so can't be bad! I replaced mine and went with a Lindy Fralin P pup which is really nice but at twice the price as the Fender original, it's no way twice as good! If I had to rebuild my bass for some reason I would happily buy the Fender again no worries. Amped up with a band it's as good as anything really.
As for whether you should buy one right now is a different matter. Why not try that Mex pup you've just bought and see how it goes with that. If it sounds great and does what you want you've just saved yourself an extra 80 quid.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1367922481' post='2070970']
I replaced mine and went with a Lindy Fralin P pup which is really nice but at twice the price as the Fender original, it's no way twice as good! If I had to rebuild my bass for some reason I would happily buy the Fender again no worries. Amped up with a band it's as good as anything really.

[/quote]

Agreed. Im keeping my Fender pup for a while, and might even put it back in and sell the Fralin (again). Both are very nice pups but i dont think it really made much difference changing them over.

Well TBH I could only just afford the fender pup so I think I will see how it goes with the mex. it's off a classic 50s model and they're not cheap so it might be okay. Need some black pup covers though - anyone got spares ?

I also won an aged white covered no-name 80s pup for 2.67 on eBay which might be worth a shot

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1367925810' post='2071032']Need some black pup covers though - anyone got spares ?
[/quote]

I suspect the Bass Doc will be your man there... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/4905-the-bass-doc/"]http://basschat.co.uk/user/4905-the-bass-doc/[/url]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1367929865' post='2071099']
I suspect the Bass Doc will be your man there... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/4905-the-bass-doc/"]http://basschat.co.u...5-the-bass-doc/[/url]
[/quote]

Yup, got black pickup covers if required. I wouldn't get too enthusiastic about the cheap white one from the bay however - the build with bar magnets on the bottom denotes one of the most basic oriental jobbies - much better to go with ones with alnico slugs.

BTW your neck and body build is going along nicely :)

H.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1367931373' post='2071131']BTW your neck and body build is going along nicely :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the update Dr Frankenstein.... but how is his bass progressing?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1368027249' post='2072235']
Thanks for the update Dr Frankenstein.... but how is his bass progressing?
[/quote]

Ah, you caught me out there. The bass if fine.

As to the other project, I managed to secure appropriate neck bolts but it's proving tricky to find a suitable head containing brains.

I was offered the head of a recently deceased heavy metal guitarist but, as previously stated, the brains are hard to find :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1367955903' post='2071626']
As a previous owner of a Classic 50's and a US Standard fitted with a Fender Original, I don't think you need to change a thing - the classic sounded just as good!
[/quote]

No, youre right - they re quite good enough. The Bass Doc said they sounded quite like the real 62 sound - and he seems to have a 63 so I Guess he'd know.