Why become a member? ×

1963 Fender Precision * WITHDRAWN *
£2900

Clarky

[list]
[*]Didn't think I would ever do this but .... I broke several bones in my left hand after a fall in late 2010 (two weeks before my first ever double bass gig, which I still played, like an idiot ...). My hand has never fully recovered and so the chunky 'C' width neck on my 1963 Precision is increasingly less comfortable for me to play. I am lucky enough to have a 1970 fretless Precision (and an additional fretless) as well which I am considering getting a slimmer 'B' width neck made for as its replacement. I am also after an early 1970s Jazz (see Items Wanted thread).

[size=4]I got this bass in 2011 via BCer Si Clifton who had been on the lookout for a year-of-birth 1963 Precision for me. Si[/size] found a stripped 63P in the US, all original bar the paint, and had it refinned in vintage white nitro to my spec. The tort scratchplate (which I have still) unfortunately was unusable (rock hard, warped, cracked etc) so I took it off and added a real celluloid 60s pattern tort scratchplate from the US. The neck is incredibly smooth (all lacquer worn away so it almost feels waxed) and the rosewood board is so dark it looks like ebony (all the clay dots are in place). The bass weighs about 9.5 pounds and sound engineers rave about its tone (YT recording with me playing the bass shown below). Bar the refin and scratchplate its all original (it has both chrome covers still) but doesn't have the original case.

[left]
I am valuing this bass at £2900, which is £200 less than I paid for it in 2011 as I recognise that was a top-of-the-market price. I am in London. Handover in person preferred but I will send (I don't currently have a box big enough though)

[attachment=134150:DSCF0323.JPG]

More pics here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/206801-wtb-1970-74-jazz-in-3tsb-rosewood-blocksbinding/"]http://basschat.co.u...-blocksbinding/[/url]

Recording with my bass:[/left]
[/list]

Edited by Clarky

Thanks gents! It's a lovely bass but my left hand really aches if I play it for any length of time around the lower positions. Just being pragmatic as I cannot see my left hand getting any better (its been two years and its definitely got worse over the past winter).

Simplest for me would be a trade against an early 70s sunburst/rosewood Jazz with some cash my way if anyone is interested? ideally I would have traded for a YOB Jazz but those are prohibitively expensive these days (way more than Precisions).

Edited by Clarky

It's my 50th in a couple of weeks, so it's just as well I've never been one for the YOB bass concept (that and an empty piggy bank!). Strangely enough I've had issues over the last year or so with what I assume is some form of rheumatic problem in my fretting hand, and what works for me now is a wide C neck. Are you sure all the bones have set correctly? It might just need one to be reset to alleviate all the problems, but I don't think you'd find out unless you went private.

I'd hold onto it Clarky - two years isn't long for soft tissue damage in a hand to sort itself out - I broke my foot years ago and it took about 5 years to settle down. I'd hold onto it, give your hand some more time while continuing to play and hopefully you might surprise yourself ;)

You're probably right John about the bones not setting properly. I jarred my left hand quite painfully when I went snowboarding earlier this year (very big fall, thought I'd broken my hand again) and I think this has made the whole thing worse. I searched BC and discovered it was October 2010 when I broke my hand so its two and a half years ago (thread here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/106433-nasty-scare-with-left-hand/page__hl__broken )

I have a CIJ Jazz 62 reissue which I barely ever played until recently. As of recent months I much prefer its neck dimensions to my P bass which is what led me to this decision

Edited by Clarky

OK, I've done a deal on a 74/75 Jazz (which is nice!) so trade is no longer an option here. I am starting to have second thoughts about whether I should sell my Precision though, hmmm :huh:

Alice has just talked me out of selling the Pino as I'm reluctant to gig it, so i'll pass on her advice :)

How likely are you to regret it once you've sold it? Also how likely are you to get another one once you realise your mistake? Even when it old her how much I was offered for it she held fast with her opinion!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1367788317' post='2069508']
Alice has just talked me out of selling the Pino as I'm reluctant to gig it, so i'll pass on her advice :)
[/quote]
Nick, the Pino is a relic, whats the worst that can happen?

Its a tricky one. I don't care a fig about insurance/swipeability so thats not an issue. BUT .... its currently not comfortable for me to play my 63P, yet its a thing of beauty and I spent a considerable amount of time tracking down (with Si Clifton's help) exactly what I wanted. Maybe I should take bob_pickard and BB2000's advice and see if I can get my hand sorted first????

Aaaarrgghh, I hate making decisions that are not black/white!!!!!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1367789243' post='2069518']
I'm not worried about knocks, more someone swiping it!
[/quote]
Well, if it goes missing when you're over my way , you'll know where to look first!

OK, maybe its the alcohol talking but I am withdrawing this from sale. I am not sure its the right decision to sell it and it would be hard to replace this lovely bass if I later regretted it (to paraphrase OHM's wise Mrs)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1367788317' post='2069508']

How likely are you to regret it once you've sold it? Also how likely are you to get another one once you realise your mistake? Even when it old her how much I was offered for it she held fast with her opinion!
[/quote]You and me, are so lucky to have women like this.