Why become a member? ×

Mixing desks

Webby308

Evening all,

I'm hoping for some advice for a new mixing desk. Our Behringer has dropped so many channels we may as well not bother any longer, so being the bass player/pa guy I have to find something to replace it. With all our gubbins for monitoring plugged in we need 2 x guitar, 1 x bass (of course!) and 4 x vox inputs, and preferably 5 outputs for monitor mixes.

Please note we are not U2 or something so need something we can actually afford! We don't mind "used" kit either if one of you fine people has something they would like to shift.

With all the options available, some advise to narrow down our choices would be great.

Cheers,

Paul.

[quote name='Webby308' timestamp='1367263664' post='2063436']
Evening all,

I'm hoping for some advice for a new mixing desk. Our Behringer has dropped so many channels we may as well not bother any longer, so being the bass player/pa guy I have to find something to replace it. With all our gubbins for monitoring plugged in we need 2 x guitar, 1 x bass (of course!) and 4 x vox inputs, and preferably 5 outputs for monitor mixes.

[/quote]

The '5 monitor outputs' will be the stumbling block here - so you actually use five separate monitor mixes? :blink: wow...personally (and I'm biased because I used to work for them) I couldn't recommend anything higher than a secondhand Studiomaster Trilogy 166 for that spec, although it doesn't have in-built effects so you'd need an outboard reverb unit if that's something you use.

Mackie and Allen&Heath are also good shouts, but on sheer build quality I'd still have a Trilogy if I could find one - they're getting quite rare these days.

I 'think' we have a 16 track desk which is being sold. Dont know much about it other than it having reverb and amp built in. Think it's only going because it's way too big for what we do.
Let me fire off an email and get some specs for ya.............
(feel free to pester me ........ [email protected] as i'll probably forget once i hit the post button!)

An old Mackie CR1602, it will give you plenty of chanels and 6 aux sends so in theory can run 6 monitor mixes but that would be at the expense of all your effects sends, they are cheap (nowdays) reliable and compact, I have had mine for years and wouldn't part with it as I have never found anything as flexible

Mackie CR1604VLZ has 16 proper mic channels and 6 aux sends (although each channel can only access four of them at any one time). From factory these came with two switchable pre/post fader and the rest fixed at post (so no good for monitors) but they can be modified to pre-fade if you're confident with a soldering iron. It's an official mod documented by Mackie too, not a poke'n'hope job!

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1367265968' post='2063502']
personally (and I'm biased because I used to work for them) I couldn't recommend anything higher than a secondhand Studiomaster Trilogy 166 for that spec, although it doesn't have in-built effects so you'd need an outboard reverb unit if that's something you use.
[/quote]

I used to sell Studiomaster kit back in the 80's.

Absolutely fabulous kit that I'm still seeing used some 30 years later.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1367280430' post='2063742']

[/quote]

Oh, I have an old Studiomaster 16 channel desk that I was thinking of offloading (only 2 aux outputs though so no good to the OP) might keep it now. It is from the 80s....

I have a Mackie 1608- the one that uses an Ipad for the processing. Amazing bit of kit- get your sound man ( or a pal who knows what he`s doing ) to walk among your audience to mix out front. No snake needed.

6 auxiliaries- loads of effects- it will remember where you have been so you can recall. It does everything. And its tiny- about £950 though- plus your Ipad.

Thanks guys - plenty for me to research here. To think I only joined the band to play bass and sing a bit and now I have to understand all the twiddly knobs and cables for everyone else too... Funnily enough the guy at the studio we rehearse at offered us this HUGE Allen and Heath thing - we are going to take a look, but I suspect Abbey Road is missing something looking at the picture...
Maybe a bit much for pubs etc...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1367280430' post='2063742']

[/quote]

I've got a wonderful Studiomaster 6-2-1 mixer in my shed waiting to be restored. Marvellous EQ section. :gas: