Why become a member? ×

Function band vs integrity ramblings

Galilee

I expressed an interest in trying out for a local function band, not really my sort of thing but I figured it would be regular live work and little 'management' responsibility for a change. The band leader sent me their playlist, 64 songs, all classics I suppose (in an MOR way), but all new to me from a playing point of view.

I'm going to have to pass on this opportunity, but feel like I should be using this list to get these songs under my belt for the future. The trouble is, how much of an idiot am I going to feel sitting there learning Lady In Red, Black Velvet and suchlike?

I think I've hit a critical point in my life, where the musical 'integrity' of my youth is now exactly balanced by my being nearly 40 years old. I'm getting so old that I just want to get out and play anything at any opportunity, but I'm not so old that I'll play any old rubbish.

What do you reckon? Would you learn a load of songs that aren't your style at all to get work? Have you ever played [i]exactly[/i] the sort of music that you really love in any case, or is it always a compromise? Should I stop navel-gazing and just play the bloody thing until my fingers bleed?

If it's a function band, they're playing to get paid, so they have to sets the punters will love.

Just like most bands have to do songs they've played millions of times on gigs even though they're bored of them it's for the punters.

If you're specifically playing stuff to get more work and to get money in, a job's a job after all, even if you don't particually like playing certain songs at least you'll be getting paid to play.

I think there's always going to be a certain amount of prostitution when playing in a covers band. There are tracks that I play with the band I'm in, that I'd really rather not play but the punters love them and the other band members like doing them, so who am I to argue.

I've always maintained that original material is my primary goal...I never ever wanted to play anyone elses songs.

Recently we gigged in Reading and (as it was a paying gig) we were asked to throw in some covers. We did a couple each of Blink182 and Feeder and some more obscure stuff...IMO it was these songs that let down our set...the original material went down much better and we played our stuff with more passion. I felt a bit[i] used[/i] considering my originals only stance.

I guess if it's your only source of income (or even a potential source of income) then maybe you need to consider what's more important...your integrity or playing Chris de Burgh covers. Personally, as music doesn't pay my bills, it's integrity as far as I'm concerned. I hope never to play [i]Every Rose Has A Thorn [/i]ever again.

P

Integrity issues have been addressed so many times in other topics...!

If you play Lady In Red to a function audience and play it badly because you don't like the number, then you have NO integrity. If you play it well, whether you like it or not then you DO have integrity, lots of it, because you will know that you did a good job for yourself, your band mates and your audience, who paid your wages.
No one makes a musician play in a function or cover band but if you do then you've signed up to do it properly.

[i]Some[/i] compromise is always necessary. I don't think there's much point in having really strong ideals but never getting to play in public. There is something to be said for being able to gig as often as you want, playing to a (usually) appreciative audience, and getting paid for it - even if you are playing someone else's music. With kids to feed it suits me just fine. Having said all that don't feel you have to play music you really don't enjoy. Luckily I get to play a lot of material I enjoy in my covers band.

[quote name='Galilee' post='209597' date='May 30 2008, 01:56 PM']I expressed an interest in trying out for a local function band, not really my sort of thing but I figured it would be regular live work and little 'management' responsibility for a change. The band leader sent me their playlist, 64 songs, all classics I suppose (in an MOR way), but all new to me from a playing point of view.

I'm going to have to pass on this opportunity, but feel like I should be using this list to get these songs under my belt for the future. The trouble is, how much of an idiot am I going to feel sitting there learning Lady In Red, Black Velvet and suchlike?[/quote]

I feel much the same way, but you can learn a lot from learning other people's stuff whether you like it or not.

I've always been of the opinion that if you get paid for playing in front of an audience , you're a professional. Unless you're very,very fortunate indeed that will mean compromising your own musical tastes to some degree.

Playing any music will help you improve as a player - if it's music you don't usually go near then even more so.

The interest for most of us here is in bass playing , anything that furthers our skills doing that is , by definition , a good thing - Yes? No?

If you don't fancy the gig - fine. A mistake though , I feel , for any of us to sit too high on our horses. Lady in Red sold....how many copies?? Brought pleasure to how many people??
A far greater number than I can match in both cases.

[quote name='Tinman' post='209608' date='May 30 2008, 02:04 PM']....I think there's always going to be a certain amount of prostitution when playing in a covers band....[/quote]
Sorry, but I think your description here is insulting.
Do you think that Darryl Jones, the drummer in REM, Pino in the Who and the house band in the West End's We Will Rock You are prostituting themselves?

I know how you feel but as said earlier in this thread..... Function bands are there to play to the audience.... the audience want to hear songs they know and love..... saying that.... the function band I play do have a clause in the contract stating that 'Mustang Sally' carries a £5k levy!

The other side of the coin is how much do you want to play...... I'm playing 3-4 times a week in the function band in some very up market establishments for some very important people/companies earning a fantastic wage.

Edited by crez5150

Of course the other thing you could do is set up your own covers or function band with your personal stamp. There's an art to selecting songs you like playing that also please the audience/landlord/whoever's paying. If you're good enough you'll get reasonable paying gigs even if you are louder/weirder than the average covers band.

[quote name='chris_b' post='209622' date='May 30 2008, 02:19 PM']Sorry, but I think your description here is insulting.
Do you think that Darryl Jones, the drummer in REM, Pino in the Who and the house band in the West End's We Will Rock You are prostituting themselves?[/quote]
You have taken me out of context here. What I meant was that if you play in a covers band - as I do - then there is a good chance that you're going to end up playing some tracks that you're not keen on - as I do.

The fact that you play them and play them well shows, as has already been said, that you have integrity and are professional.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='209610' date='May 30 2008, 02:09 PM']I've always maintained that original material is my primary goal...I never ever wanted to play anyone elses songs.[/quote]

plus the one.

[i]but[/i] you are getting paid to play the covers...there's bits of my 9-to-5 i hate doing, but i console myself that at least i'm getting paid for them.

[quote name='Galilee' post='209597' date='May 30 2008, 01:56 PM']I expressed an interest in trying out for a local function band, not really my sort of thing but I figured it would be regular live work and little 'management' responsibility for a change. The band leader sent me their playlist, 64 songs, all classics I suppose (in an MOR way), but all new to me from a playing point of view.

I'm going to have to pass on this opportunity, but feel like I should be using this list to get these songs under my belt for the future. The trouble is, how much of an idiot am I going to feel sitting there learning Lady In Red, Black Velvet and suchlike?

I think I've hit a critical point in my life, where the musical 'integrity' of my youth is now exactly balanced by my being nearly 40 years old. I'm getting so old that I just want to get out and play anything at any opportunity, but I'm not so old that I'll play any old rubbish.

What do you reckon? Would you learn a load of songs that aren't your style at all to get work? Have you ever played [i]exactly[/i] the sort of music that you really love in any case, or is it always a compromise? Should I stop navel-gazing and just play the bloody thing until my fingers bleed?[/quote]

Played those songs the mid 90,s
They where old hat then.

Edited by ironside1966

Last time i played Lady In Red I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Mainly for the fact I was playing with some very good enthusiastic players, a singer who did a reasonable job, a dancefloor that was full, plus i had the chance to busk that Pino line (may get it right next time).

I think you're all right really. Playing is playing and it's all educational from a musical standpoint. Plus the opportunity to play live regularly (and not in some grotty pub with two old blokes at the bar for an audience) is a big incentive.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='209618' date='May 30 2008, 02:17 PM']. A mistake though , I feel , for any of us to sit too high on our horses. Lady in Red sold....how many copies?? Brought pleasure to how many people??
A far greater number than I can match in both cases.[/quote]

That may be so, but I hate the tune, and they thought of playing it, even for money, turns my stomach. :)

I suppose I'm lucky in that I get paid to play tunes that I really REALLY love. Actually, I can't recall ever being in a band that did any tunes that made my toes curl... of course, one day my luck will run out and I'll be up there thumpin' out Steamy Windows like a good'un.

*shudder*

[quote name='crez5150' post='209626' date='May 30 2008, 02:21 PM']Function bands are there to play to the audience.... the audience want to hear songs they know and love.....[/quote]

D'ya think?

In my experience, this is what the bookers and bandleaders BELIEVE but is not necessarily what the audience want. What they usually want is to dance. A really grooving band can play almost anything as long as it has a back beat and drive. The endless piles of sh*te that most function bands play (including, if not especially, my own) are swallowed wholesale by the punters who, as a collective, love everything, however bad. One of the bands I occasionally do gigs with (£120 etc) are awful but the testimonials they get are glowing (I do the gigs as I like the people (and the money) but they are awful).

The problem I have with function bands, frankly, is that, despite the fact that they have 100 years of hits to choose from, they all chose the same old b******s. Chaka Khan's 'Ain't Nobody' (all beat and no groove), 'Mustang Sally', 'Angels', the aforementioned 'Lady In Red', 'Killing Me Softly' - you know EXACTLY what I mean.

This isn't about what the punters want. This is about doing the thing as superficially as possible and still getting away with it. Two rehearsals and you're gigging because you've all done it 1,000 times before.

If it doesn't change soon, the music industry deserves to die..... :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='209687' date='May 30 2008, 03:27 PM']D'ya think?

In my experience, this is what the bookers and bandleaders BELIEVE but is not necessarily what the audience want. What they usually want is to dance. A really grooving band can play almost anything as long as it has a back beat and drive. The endless piles of sh*te that most function bands play (including, if not especially, my own) are swallowed wholesale by the punters who, as a collective, love everything, however bad. One of the bands I occasionally do gigs with (£120 etc) are awful but the testimonials they get are glowing (I do the gigs as I like the people (and the money) but they are awful).

The problem I have with function bands, frankly, is that, despite the fact that they have 100 years of hits to choose from, they all chose the same old b******s. Chaka Khan's 'Ain't Nobody' (all beat and no groove), 'Mustang Sally', 'Angels', the aforementioned 'Lady In Red', 'Killing Me Softly' - you know EXACTLY what I mean.

This isn't about what the punters want. This is about doing the thing as superficially as possible and still getting away with it. Two rehearsals and you're gigging because you've all done it 1,000 times before.

If it doesn't change soon, the music industry deserves to die..... :)[/quote]

That's exactly what Zappa said about symphony orchestras and their repertoires ('warmed over' was the phrase he used). Almost word for word; just substitute 'Four Seasons' for 'Mustang Sally' and 'Moonlight Sonata' for 'Lady in Red'.

I would agree with bilbo here.

The trick to enjoying being in a covers band is to choose songs that (as a whole) you enjoy playing and that the audience enjoy hearing. This is your opportunity as a covers band to differentiate yourself from other similar bands. If you play different (but effective) songs then the hope is that an audience will choose you because you are different and not just the same as everyone else they could book.

That might mean including a few "favourites" in your set but there's no reason to build the entire set from these favourites.

There's an awful lot of good music out there to choose from and and average covers band might have a repertoire of 50 songs. There's no reason for it to be the same 50 for every band.

ALSO....

What is a "session player" but someone who plays what he is asked well, regardless if whether or not he likes it or not ? That would be seen as "professionalism" and there'd be no question of integrity. Yet someone who plays with skill and enthusiasm in a successful covers band is seen as a lesser player ? It doesn't add up to me.

Yes, of course we'd all like to be playing our own original material in front of appreciative audiences for good money but those of us who can manage that are in the minority. Good on them but if comes down to a choice between playing covers (well) or not playing at all, then I'd always choose to play.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='209687' date='May 30 2008, 03:27 PM']D'ya think?

If it doesn't change soon, the music industry deserves to die..... :)[/quote]

I totally agree with you on the above though I may disagree about a band playing anything as long as it has drive and a groove. I still believe that punters want to recognize what's being presented to them. I think you can get away with it to a degree but you have to give them some direction....

As you put it, most function bands are playing piles of s***e and there are lots of those bands out there.... particularly on agents books which is why the more serious bands get a bad deal, but as I've stated before on this site, I don't really consider them to be professional.