Why become a member? ×

Looks cool, plays crap...

SingleFish

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1366990848' post='2060054']
Ooh, not a lot of love for Rickenbackers in this topic...

[/quote]Here's a thing. When this thread was started my thoughts immediately turned to Ric.
While recording our album last year I was given a shot of Graeme Murray from Pallas' '74 Ric. While it was an honour to be given the bass to play, I soon realised what a pig of a thing it is and despite my best efforts it just felt so alien for me to play. It was the only Ric I'd played since becoming a competent player and I naturally thought all Rics were the same.
But earlier today I took receipt of my inheritance (don't worry it's not official yet :D - I'm just servicing it for my stepdad for his up coming annual charity gig - but he has put it in his will for me). The bass in question is a blonde Aug '72 4001. I'm not kidding this bass (after I'd set it up properly) is one of the best basses I've had the pleasure of playing - the neck is so fast. So much so I'm thinking of gigging with it next week - I just need to hear it through my big rig first.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1366991738' post='2060071']
Musicman Stingray (never liked the neck shape)
[/quote]

Yeah I bought a Stingray fretless a couple of years back, just because I'd never had a Stingray and I didn't have a fretless at the time, but the neck didn't agree with me and it didn't sound very special either. A genuinely awful USA Jazz that I defretted myself actually sounded better.

Another one that's been disappointed by Rickenbackers. One of my college tutors had a 4003 which was a beautiful bass to play, but a friend of mine has one which is a bit of a dog. I guess like any bass, it depends how its set up really. I also used to own a Rick copy made by Shine which played like treacle.

[quote name='SingleFish' timestamp='1366894102' post='2058650']
I've always thought Thunderbirds looked cool as f***. I had one for about a year or so, and did not really enjoy playing on it at all. Found it quite neck-heavy, with a slightly wider neck than was comfortable. Been a Fender man for a good few years now, but will always have a soft spot for the T-Bird shape.
[/quote]

This. I [i]love[/i] the T-Bird shape, and have done since before I took up bass. I keep tormenting myself by trying them out in music shops, and keep walking away disappointed. Only ever tried Epiphones (haven't got the money for a Gibson, so no need to torment myself further!) but every one has had something awful about it. Thunderbird IV - neck like a cricket bat. Pro IV - tried one where the neck was actually rough, like it hadn't been sanded. Classic IV - strings were a foot off the board, and the bridge was off-centre.

One day, maybe, just maybe...

I recently sold an epiphone ripper on here that I just could not get on with, I think the issue with it was that I'm about 5'10" and built like pencil and the bass was huge, the body is give or take the same size as a Jack Cassady Epiphone and because of all the weight at the bridge end due to the sold maple body it wouldn't sit right across your lap. It weighed about the same as me. To top it all off, for no apparent reason at all, the neck just felt difficult. I had the bass for near enough 2 years and the only way I can describe the neck is difficult.

Needless to say I'm far happier with the PEavey International 5er that is currently around my neck.