Why become a member? ×

74 Jazz

uke

If this finish is genuine, it says it all about 70's Fenders, strings and bridge not aligned on neck, probably the worst 3 tsb ever seen, and some very fake wear!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-1974-Vintage-Jazz-Bass-/230968790162?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35c6d00c92

Edited by uke

There's a big old gap at the top of the neck pocket the size of the grand canyon. He needs to loosen that neck and realign it or the G string will fall off the side of the neck every time someone tries to fret it. The last 74 I saw on ebay went for £1850, I doubt this will.
And, although the description mentions a bullet trussrod, this neck doesn't have one.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='uke' timestamp='1366756417' post='2057089']
If this finish is genuine, it says it all about 70's Fenders, strings and bridge not aligned on neck, probably the worst 3 tsb ever seen, and some very fake wear!
[/quote]

The description says......
[center][b][size=4]And somewhere along the line it’s had a terrible sunburst refinish[/size][/b][/center]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1366764386' post='2057137']

The description says......
[center][b][size=4]And somewhere along the line it’s had a terrible sunburst refinish[/size][/b][/center]
[/quote]

Sorry, missed that first time reading!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1366757249' post='2057100']
And, although the description mentions a bullet trussrod, this neck doesn't have one.
[/quote]

Would a 74 Jazz have a bullet trussrod anyway? I thought they were quite a bit more recent than that, so the description is wrong but if it was right, the truss rod wouldn't be right for the period.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1366826935' post='2057819']
Would a 74 Jazz have a bullet trussrod anyway? I thought they were quite a bit more recent than that, so the description is wrong but if it was right, the truss rod wouldn't be right for the period.
[/quote]

Late 74 along with the 3 bolt tiltable neckplate according to 'The Fender Bass' an illustrated history book. It has the bridge pickup in the 70s position and assume the stuff about getting a horrible respray is correct. It most likely is a 70s Jazz but I'd want to get my hands on it before I bought it, to make sure that neck could be realigned correctly.

People aren't exactly queuing up to buy it. Probably for those very reasons.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1366826935' post='2057819']
[/quote]

There was a few versions of the Jazz around the 74-75 ish period, some with the 3 bolt and bullet truss rod and some with 4 bolt necks. Bit of a transition period you might say. :)

But the sunburst on this looks like a cheap 70`s Jap copy.

Yep 74 - 75 a bit of a grey area for neck specs, some 4 bolt, some 3, some white binding, some black, some bullet TR, some body adjusted. mine's from this period and neck is white bound, 4 bolt, bullet TR at the head. It's difficult to tell from the spec which is why there are so many fakes that claim to be from this period.

[size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]I don't understand why he says "[b]The pictures listed on Ebay are the only pictures I am prepared to supply so [/b][/font][/size][b]please do not ask for more!"[/b]
Now surely it would make more sense to be willing to get photo's of every angle? I wouldn't look at that on ebay without even more photos. Pots etc!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1367017504' post='2060447']
The ad seems to make him very knowledgeable about these basses. So why, if it`s genuine, isn`t he adding a 1 at the start of the price?
[/quote]
In the description it says that the more detailed description (in purple) is taken from the original advert when he bought the bass on ebay in 2008.

.I emailed him the question of why the neck was not aligned with the strings and bridge.The reply

[size="2"]Hello,

There is some movement between the neck socket (on the body) and the neck.

This is typical of Fender guitars from the mid-seventies onwards - usually three bolt necks.

The neck can be easily adjusted to align the strings - to suit the player!

Also, the tech man can secure the neck position.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Jim[/size]