Why become a member? ×

Time For A Change

BothOfMe

Well I've been trying to deny it for a while but my old trace elliott cabs are dying and just cant hack it anymore after 15+ years of faithful service i think they've done well

my current set up is a gallien krueger fusion 550 running 2x trace elliott 4x10 cabs.

primarily im looking to replace the cabs but im up for dropping the lot at this stage.

weight is an issue im looking not to go any heavier than the 410's i have now (around 50kg each)

I have been looking with some interest at this new Class D stuff i have a orange TB500 and SP212 Which i use for small gigs but I'm unconvinced that it will ever work for my larger rig anyone have much experience with them

the majority of our gigs are venues 1000+ capacity where everything goes trough the FOH so a good DI would be a benifit

however we do also play the odd club/bar where the amp needs to be able to power through the band,

the bands i play with range from sleaze rock to metal

i was looking at multiple 12"s to help re enforce the low end figuring they will dig deeper than 10's but im not sure how well it will cut through the mix

any suggestions of stuff to look at?

If you are playing larger venues, and you are used to two 4x10s, I would hesitate to recommend a 2x12. A good high end 2x12 can cover a 4x10 and more, but not much more. It depends which 2x12 we are talking about.

If I were in your position, and I wanted better portability, but enough speakers to push the sound, I'd opt for two 8 ohm Aguilar DB212s. I've had two, returned to just one. They are, IMO, stunning.

If you want really light weight, what about a Bergantino CN212? High end, and expensive, but they are very highly regarded even though they are only just getting out the orders for them.

What about a 6x10?

Depends what type of budget you're looking at...

I've just moved to a Bergantino NV610 (6 x 10 but only weighs in at 45kg) tonnes of volume, paired with a hartke Kilo. Easily loud enough for anything I'll ever need and versatile enough too! I currently play Folk and Metal (separately you understand).

If your're set on class D then the TC Electronic RH series have a good sound to them and the DI out is very pleasing to the ear :)

I'd get to a shop & try some rigs out.

Don't assume that 10s have less depth & more punch/top than 12s or 15s. If I was getting another rig, I'd go with either a good 2x12 or a couple of 2x10s stacked vertically. Just now I only need a 2x10 combo as I don't play that big a venues.
The above suggestions are all good. I'd also take a look at Barefaced Cabs.

As for amps, there's a great selection of lightweight things from the likes of GK, Genz Benz MarkBass, TC & a few others.

Have fun on your search. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366634489' post='2055147']
Don't assume that 10s have less depth
[/quote]

Definitely agree with this. When I got my hartke kilo I turned it up to halfway just for sh*ts and giggles. Unfortunately, it ACTUALLY gave me an upset stomach and I had to leave the room :lol:

I quite literally got what I asked for :D

Get a 610... if you are used to the weight...these things have wheels, mostly, so not much more to handle.
Will do most stages and assume those stages have bass mixes available.

Am still thinking about the NV610... and and would love a DB610...if they did one.

thanks for the response guys

im afraid a single 6x10 will be a bit much in 1 cab as i would like to be able to throw it in the car (focus estate) as i do with this one from time to time, id rather go with multiple smaller cabs as such I've been looking at the tc electronic blacksmith with 3x 2x12 cabs as an idea but im struggling to find anyone in the midlands with the cabs in stock so i can have a listen,

I have however had a play with a pair of bergantino hd210 cabs with the genz benz shuttlemax 9.2 and i was quite pleased with the overall clarity of the rig but it seemed to lack that low end push I was hoping for.

3 2x12's!!!!

if the HD210's were ok in all other areas, I'd have a look at the HD212 for added low end "push". If you really want to knock down walls you can put an HD112 on top and run with an amp able to handle 2 ohms.

The HD212's are 79lbs so you're not going as light as you could. The 46lb CN212's are coming in soon.

If you really have to have multiple 212's then 2 Bergantino's would match up to 3 of most other makes, IMO.

[quote name='BothOfMe' timestamp='1366647416' post='2055438']
thanks for the response guys

im afraid a single 6x10 will be a bit much in 1 cab as i would like to be able to throw it in the car (focus estate) as i do with this one from time to time, id rather go with multiple smaller cabs as such I've been looking at the tc electronic blacksmith with 3x 2x12 cabs as an idea but im struggling to find anyone in the midlands with the cabs in stock so i can have a listen,

I have however had a play with a pair of bergantino hd210 cabs with the genz benz shuttlemax 9.2 and i was quite pleased with the overall clarity of the rig but it seemed to lack that low end push I was hoping for.
[/quote]

The Nv610 goes in the back of my focus hatchback without any issues lol.

The blacksmith is a beast of an amp!

A 610 is typically 36" high and about the same depth as a Berg 212 so will stack about 4" higher than multiples like the DB210x2...
It will weigh a tad more than a SWR goliath 410.
The TC cabs are smalller IIRC, but not the same class of cab, to my reckoning.

Edited by JTUK

• 4 weeks later...