Why become a member? ×

good pickups for p bass

so, im looking for better pickups for my p-base any suggestions if not im just gonna go to my local music store and buy some a little bit better cause the ones it comes with sound like *&^*%%%$&^*&(*)(^%$%^&*()&^%$ (use your mind) anyways. yes uhh dont have a pic of it but go to any guitar sight and look up a affinity squire p bass. thanks for everything

I think what we're trying to say is that any [b]passive[/b] P-bass pickup should just drop straight in - maybe with some minor filing of the pickguard. Inherently active pickups (like EMG) would require somewhere to put a battery.

I'm a fan of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders too and you should get them at a good price given that you're in the US. I'm going to try the Wizards soon, though you may be put off price wise as they're UK made and the combination of weak dollar and shipping costs might make them unfavourable for you.

I've tried all the Duncans for P-Bass apart from the Antiquity (which sounds like a total rip-off to me). The SPB-2 was a bit muddy. The Quarter Pounder was punchy but lost quite a lot of the bass's tone. The Vintage SPB-1 was superb. Very close to the SPB-1, but with a slightly deeper bottom end and the same kind of punch as the Quarter Pounder, was the active APB-1.
I bought the APB-1, although I'd be interested to revisit the SPB-1 sometime. Just one man's experience.

[quote name='bass player spinn' post='209187' date='May 29 2008, 09:32 PM']cool so i prob need to look at the vintage one? thats a tip i got from someone else to.. thanks much..[/quote]

You *never* see any of the vintage SPB-1s for sale secondhand (because players hang on to them).

Hot pickups for bass are just a marketing ploy. What you want from your pickup is *tone*, not output. Increasing the output of a pickup normally results in higher inductance, which cuts the higher frequencies and gives you a muddier sound.

The same principle applies to guitar, of course, although there are times when fitting hotter pickups to a guitar can be worthwhile (the bridge position on a Strat, for example).

[quote name='stevie' post='209552' date='May 30 2008, 12:29 PM']You *never* see any of the vintage SPB-1s for sale secondhand (because players hang on to them).

Hot pickups for bass are just a marketing ploy. What you want from your pickup is *tone*, not output. Increasing the output of a pickup normally results in higher inductance, which cuts the higher frequencies and gives you a muddier sound.

The same principle applies to guitar, of course, although there are times when fitting hotter pickups to a guitar can be worthwhile (the bridge position on a Strat, for example).[/quote]
+1 on the above comment - couldn't agree more.
I went from the 'Hot' to the 'QP', neither to my taste. Settled on the Vintage SPB-1 - very happy.
Though, I think it depends on what style of music you play, what sound you're after, etc....

Edited by nick

Interesting thread as i'm thinking of upgrading my mex precisions pickup soon so quite a few ideas to go on, i'll probably put the mex pickups in my cheap precision bass even though the ones that are in sound fine ( fine enough for pissing around on) and annoying the wife.

If you're after the "warm, vintage" sound, then I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lindy Fralin. They're a straight drop-in for any standard P-bass and the sound is - IMHO of course - everything you want to hear from a Precision.

[quote name='bass player spinn' post='208814' date='May 29 2008, 10:17 PM']so, im looking for better pickups for my p-base any suggestions if not im just gonna go to my local music store and buy some a little bit better cause the ones it comes with sound like *&^*%%%$&^*&(*)(^%$%^&*()&^%$ (use your mind) anyways. yes uhh dont have a pic of it but go to any guitar sight and look up a affinity squire p bass. thanks for everything[/quote]
really it depends on how much you want to spend

I've just had my Warmoth P routed to fit in a Darkstar pickup. Not that there was anything wrong with the Wizard Thumper that came out but I'm curious to see what all the Darkstar fuss is about :)

This is a one way trip so I have a really nice Wizard Thumper doing nothing here if anyone wants to make an offer.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='214197' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:06 AM']I've just had my Warmoth P routed to fit in a Darkstar pickup. Not that there was anything wrong with the Wizard Thumper that came out but I'm curious to see what all the Darkstar fuss is about :)

This is a one way trip so I have a really nice Wizard Thumper doing nothing here if anyone wants to make an offer.

Peter[/quote]
PMed :huh: