Why become a member? ×

Fender "Cabronita" P Bass

JamesBass

ooooo GAS. It sounds great. Damn it, I was decided until today, just 1 more Bass after the Epi Thunderbird Classic IV Pro arriving Saturday.... :rolleyes:

Just got to think of some good excuses... Saturday is : Well I'm going on a BIMM Metal Summer Course so I need a metal bass ; the next one for a Warwick Star Bass is: I want to play in a Blues Band so thats the look I need.... hmmm what about the P though..I can't say I just need a pee as I've got 2 Ps.... it'll have to be All I want for Christmas is a Cabronita or maybe...... I wanted a bottle of Corona but the shop assistant made a mistake .... anyway I've got to Christmas to come up with a wheeze :D

[quote name='John Schoen' timestamp='1366021203' post='2047284']
Cabron is Spanish for bastard. The suffix "ita" makes it a small female bastard.
[/quote]

Yes and no.

Cabron can be translated as bastard, or asshole or many other things, in that it is used probably in the very same situations with the very same connotation. However, as it's often the case with these things, literal translations are completely different and often underwhelming.

Cabra means goat.
Cabron is the male goat, or a big goat. Often used as a mild insult. Or serious insult if you look stern :P
Cabrona could be used as an insult (see above) or to indicate a large female goat.
Cabronita, therefore, could be 1) an insult, but with the diminutive suffix -ita making it sound "cuter", so probably not an insult thrown in anger... or it could be 2) a large small female goat (what? nah... stick to 1) ;)

In Spain you'd use "cabrita" rather than cabronita, but I guess in Mexico they probably use cabronita.
I would not be surprised it it has yet another meaning or at least a different connotation in Mexico, as often we use the same words in very different ways!

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1366191226' post='2049324']
Or "Puto" can be used
[/quote]

even better: puto cabron :P

I find it amusing that this stuff does not get filtered... p**o ca***n :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1366224862' post='2049922']
..perhaps not the best of names for a Bass then :D

... but I guess you could get the Little Bastard Amp to go with it but it might not go down too well on a Beeb interview if asked what kit you've got
[/quote]

And an OKKO Basstard distortion pedal :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1365884005' post='2045708']
Horrible looking bass IMO, but I do like the tone.
[/quote]
Horrible looking bass, and hate the tone. Why demo a bass with overdrive on it? I think the best thing about it is the bridge!

Just shows that one mans meat is another's poison I suppose.

[quote name='John Schoen' timestamp='1366193864' post='2049373']

Mexico. You can see the MX prefix of the serial number in the picture of the back of the headstock here: [url="http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/CabBassBk/MX13328362/MX13328362-serial-large.jpg"]http://www.sweetwate...erial-large.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

Well spotted. I can't wait for them to land this side. I imagine this sounding a lot better than the Modern Player Telecaster Bass.

The pickguard is a big divider on this bass. I can accept it looks a bit like a waiters bow tie, but it also gives a counterpoint to a large expance of wood. I had the guard fitted to my custom build, but when it arrived I took it off and said 'yes'. The black with the chrome looks CAF, but then again, I put it back on and it still looks great, but I'm also getting a guard made up in black. Pretty much all Fender basses have guards fitted, so maybe they have the fear about selling a nude one. You should check the Dusty Hill CS to see this (similarish) bass with no clothes on.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally played one today, and really liked it, nothing shocking, sounds like a 51 p-bass with a bit more kick, the bass in question played great out of the box too.

I'd own one, glad it was black and not the red one! Kept calm haha.

• 2 weeks later...