Why become a member? ×

Wow..shonky! Share your relic disasters here!

Moos3h

I think this must be made from the same wood as the old bench that commemorates the 1914-18 war by the duck pond near where i live. It's certainly got the same weather beaten look about it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-HEAVY-RELIC-STRATOCASTER-STRAT-NITROCELLULOSE-FOR-STAGE-PHOTOSHOOT-USE-/400459435875?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5d3d3e0f63

I don't particularly mind relics, but only if they're done well. The biggest mistake these people seem to make is to distress the bodywork (badly), then leave the hardware pristine and shiny. Shows a lack of imagination and attention to detail in my opinion...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365629723' post='2042200']
I don't particularly mind relics, but only if they're done well. The biggest mistake these people seem to make is to distress the bodywork (badly), then leave the hardware pristine and shiny. Shows a lack of imagination and attention to detail in my opinion...
[/quote]

This.

And the 'pristine' fretboard as well hah!

The relic market is making me giggle lately. I admit, I thought it was pretty cool when the trend started a few years ago, but the novelty has really worn off for me and now you are seeing folks taking cheap low quality guitars, applying a sander to the finish, hitting it a few times with a hammer, leaving the hardware outside in the rain for a couple of days, put it all back together and then attempt to sell it for twice the price of what it should be worth in mint condition. Really??

I'm thinking of writing to Handy Hints in VIZ:

Guitar Relicers, save money on fancy bubble wrap and cardboard by roping your guitars to the back of a Courier van. This will not only save you money on expensive packaging but also save electricity as you will not have to do as much sanding before sending them.

Yours musically
Rick Gibfen

This was mine for a very long time, never got reliced, just ended up like this.
It did actually fall out of the boot of my sisters car once and bounce down a very steep hill (East The Water, Bideford if you're familiar with it) and that's how it got to look like this.
Well, that and being chucked around a stage Townshend style every other week, and rebuilt the day after.
:)

A lot of it is just playing the damn thing all the time though.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1365710811' post='2043435']
This was mine for a very long time, never got reliced, just ended up like this.
It did actually fall out of the boot of my sisters car once and bounce down a very steep hill (East The Water, Bideford if you're familiar with it) and that's how it got to look like this.
Well, that and being chucked around a stage Townshend style every other week, and rebuilt the day after.
:)

A lot of it is just playing the damn thing all the time though.
[/quote]
That's nice!!!!! Very nice. It looks like it would make for a good bedfellow.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1365628896' post='2042184']
I think this must be made from the same wood as the old bench that commemorates the 1914-18 war by the duck pond near where i live. It's certainly got the same weather beaten look about it.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-HEAVY-RELIC-STRATOCASTER-STRAT-NITROCELLULOSE-FOR-STAGE-PHOTOSHOOT-USE-/400459435875?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5d3d3e0f63"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d3d3e0f63[/url]
[/quote]

[i]Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear,[/i]

Yep.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1366202903' post='2049520']
That's nice!!!!! Very nice. It looks like it would make for a good bedfellow.
[/quote]

Thanks man, I got rid of the old ply body it had, and joined it together with my old black strat, it looks like this now (and is still my no 1 go to guitar, and still held together with gaffa tape and blu-tack).

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1365628896' post='2042184']

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-HEAVY-RELIC-STRATOCASTER-STRAT-NITROCELLULOSE-FOR-STAGE-PHOTOSHOOT-USE-/400459435875?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5d3d3e0f63"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d3d3e0f63[/url]
[/quote]

[size=4][i][color=#333333][font=Arial]... the relicing is achieved by many many hours of trial and error![/font][/color][/i][/size]

[size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial]I'm guessing that 'error' came out on top by quite a wide margin.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4]Just as a matter of interest, where's the point in relic'ing the back of a guitar? The punters can't see it, and all those rough bits must ruin any shirt you wear.[/size]