Why become a member? ×

April/May Mix Competition - VOTING COMPLETE!

51m0n

[size=5]THE RESULTS ARE IN!!![/size]

Ok the voting ends now....

We have the following results:-[list=1]
[*]Mix A (2 votes [7.69%])
[*]Mix B (0 votes [0.00%])
[*]Mix C (5 votes [19.23%])
[*]Mix D (0 votes [0.00%])
[*]Mix E (6 votes [23.08%])
[*]Mix F (1 votes [3.85%])
[*]Mix G (6 votes [23.08%])
[*]Mix H (0 votes [0.00%])
[*]Mix I (5 votes [19.23%])
[*]Mix J (1 votes [3.85%])
[*]Mix K (0 votes [0.00%])
[*]Mix L (0 votes [0.00%])
[/list]
And the mixes were by the following people:-

Mix A.wav - Dad3353
Mix B.wav - Lurksalot
Mix C.wav - 51m0n
Mix D.wav - cheddatom
Mix E.wav - Moonbass
Mix F.wav - Twigman
Mix G.wav - ironside1966
Mix H.wav - Ziphoblat
Mix I.wav - Skol
Mix J.wav - VasDim
Mix K.wav - MiltyG565
Mix L.wav - xgsjx

Thank you all for your time and effort, both entering and voting, and [color=#ff0000][size=5]we have a tie for the first time between Moonbass and ironside1966[/size][/color], well done gents!

Skol and I are off to lick our wounds and sulk in the corner :D

[hr]

[size=5][b]THE MIXES ARE IN!![/b][/size]

[size=6][url="https://soundcloud.com/bc-mix-competitions/sets/mix-j/s-o2vko"][color=#0000cd]You can find them here - clicky linky[/color][/url][/size]

I'll be setting up the poll asap, in the mean time start listening, there's 48 minutes of the same country and western song to [s]endure[/s] enjoy ;)

Fortunately I think you can whittle it down fairly quickly :D

[hr]

OK, we're halfway through April (well nearly) and have only just chosen some stems, so in the interest of my sanity and everyone elses I've decided we'll run this one through the end of April and start the voting on or around May 15th (5 weeks time) to give everyone a fair crack of the whip.

That way we can leave the poll up for a week or two and choose more stems in time for June.

So the rules this time are as follows:-

[color=#ff0000][size=5]We will run the contest blind again, so do not post any mixes directly into this thread or you will effectively disqualify yourself[/size][/color]. Instead PM me with a link to wherever on the web you have put it (private soundcloud with download enabled has worked very well, dropbox is OK)

If you have the bandwidth do upload a wav (sample rate and bit depth the same as the recording would be best)

Do feel free to talk about what you are finding difficult, and discuss possible solutions - this is not so much a competition as a learning experience for everyone...

[size=4][color=#FF0000]Do [b]not[/b] treat this as a mastering exercise[/color][/size]. I would like you to check your level with the K-Meter so it hits 0 dB at most on K-14. No this isn't using the K-Metering system 'properly', its just using a known and defined meter that pretty much everyone has access to via VST or whatever for free (google is your friend here) so that we get the same perceived output level from every mix, or there abouts. If something is wildly out I will endeavour to re-render it at the correct level if I have time, if I dont you may not get added to the poll.

Just install the K-Meter, put it on your Main mix output effects area, set it to K-14 and drop the level of your mix until it never goes over 0dB - simples!

Yes you can use limiters and whatever on the mix buss, but your overall average level[i] must stay at or below that 0dB level throughout the track[/i], which means the harder you hit the limiter the quieter your transients will be compared to the overall level (thats the nature of the k-meter), your level will still be comparable to everyone else's though. Neat....

[size=5]And so onto the stems - you can get them here:-[/size]

[color=#0000cd][size=5][url="http://cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#UncleDad"]http://cambridge-mt....tk.htm#UncleDad[/url][/size][/color]

Yup we are mixing [b]Uncle Dad: 'Who I Am' [/b]which is a nice slice of Country and Western y'all. If this doesn't drive you all loopy then nothing will!

Oh and the stems should be top drawer for this one, so there oght to be no complaints there at all!

Good luck all of you, look forward to hearing your efforts....

Edited by 51m0n

Voxengo SPAN can be set to K14

[url="http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/"]http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/[/url]

And is 64bit

In fact its so damned good at all things metering everyone should have a copy anyway - my top tip for the day :D

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1365590525' post='2041381']
Voxengo SPAN can be set to K14

[url="http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/"]http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/[/url]

And is 64bit

In fact its so damned good at all things metering everyone should have a copy anyway - my top tip for the day :D
[/quote]
Thanks

Right - I shall get cracking on this tonight!!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1365611200' post='2041810']...I've already had one finished candidate, consider my gast truly flabbered...[/quote]

Steady on now, old chap, 'tain't so difficult when one knows how to do sweet F all, and so does exactly that..! I just happen to be slightly minimalist, that's all..! My cloth ears are incapable of hearing bleeding mics, anyway (Shock..! Horror..! Did I really say that..? :blush: ).
I've already learned a lot, though, and this K14 malarkey is interesting.
Hurry up, you lot; we're waiting... ([i]sounds of feet tapping[/i]...) :mellow:

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1365623946' post='2042085']
this one really is a case of 'less is more'
[/quote]

Indeed. I haven't checked the stems yet but I imagine it's going to involve some selective muting... mostly on the master bus ;)

PS: on the road with work and just referred to my office address as Dixie House instead of Ducie... damned country music!! :D

not strictly on topic but since we can't share our mixes for the current song anyone fancy giving this a listen and giving me some opinions/feedback? bit of big band swing for your listening pleasure

[url="https://soundcloud.com/chris-hallam-1/big-band"]https://soundcloud.com/chris-hallam-1/big-band[/url]

ps. mines done just letting it sit for a couple of days n then go back n have another listen

Am i right in thinking that the Voxengo SPAN only meters the peak with the lights, if so what is the horizontal red bar? Is that a measure of headroom? The RMS figure displayed to the lower left of the UI always seems lower than the metered lights so i assume the meter shows peak rather than RMS.

Just trying to be sure I am not going to render to too high a level.

I don't know what issues others are having with this but some of the things I am finding tricky are:

The overheads are very lively, the ride and crashes are difficult to keep under control without getting them sounding too thin and indistinct or too loud and overbearing.

Getting some thwack back into the over processed snare has hurt my brain.

Giving the sidestick enough life without it being taken over by the bleed (which is actually louder than the stick) is tricky.

The toms have a ring which I am struggling to isolate

I have never mixed an upright bass before. It behaves vastly differently from electric bass, as it is far 'softer'. There are a few resonances in there which 'take over' if you are not careful. Getting it to sit solidly in the mix is challenging,

Getting the interplay between AC3, the fiddle. the mandolin. the dobro and the vocals without everything sitting on top of each other has involved a few bits of trickery...

I did not realise how much the banjo is a rhythm instrument rather than a melodic instrument until i tried to do this.

I am at the stage now where I have a first draft and am playing it on a few other systems before I decide whether to submit it or not, After my over mid heavy entry last month i am determined not to be caught out twice.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1365771194' post='2044241']
Am i right in thinking that the Voxengo SPAN only meters the peak with the lights, if so what is the horizontal red bar? Is that a measure of headroom? The RMS figure displayed to the lower left of the UI always seems lower than the metered lights so i assume the meter shows peak rather than RMS.

Just trying to be sure I am not going to render to too high a level.

[/quote]

Not sure what the horizintal red bar is off the top of my head.

However I can confirm (because I just tested in series with a K-meter) that you need to base you level on the solid green bars, and get them up to 0dB.

Start off set at K14, then once you think you are there you can try setting it to K14C, which magnifies the level over 0dB. If you loop the hottest section of your track you can then check you never quite go over 0dB if you want to be super accurate.

The RMS figure is not relevant in this case, just head straight for that 0dB mark (which is about -14dBFs) using the green bar in the meters and you are set...

Okay, okay; I can take it no longer! My mix is in for this month, and If I never hear this song again it will be too soon!
I have to say the stems were a bit odd this month; to say they had used some fancy mic's they seem to have botched several of the drum tracks to my ear. Anyone else having problems making the cymbals sound natural? And the toms seem a bit dodgy too. A lot of nice sounding 'plinky-plonky' things though, and I really liked the fiddle. Well, who doesn't like a fiddle...?

Edit
Sorry Twigman, just realised you said all these things too!

Edited by moonbass

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1365709818' post='2043417']
not strictly on topic but since we can't share our mixes for the current song anyone fancy giving this a listen and giving me some opinions/feedback? bit of big band swing for your listening pleasure

[url="https://soundcloud.com/chris-hallam-1/big-band"]https://soundcloud.c...llam-1/big-band[/url]

[/quote]

Hi Chris. I really liked the tune. The brass are nicely recorded and sit in a nice sized room, but the saxes and the vocal seem quite dry to me. (The saxes and keys also seem to be panned a bit heavily). The drums and bass are a bit 'toppy' to my ear, and there seems to be little going on in the very low frequency range. I'd like to hear the trombone solo a bit louder. I'd add a bit of high frequency over the mix bus as it's generally a little nasal at the moment. In general it's got a lovely warm and lively vibe though.

To my mind a big band recording is a bit like an orchestra in that you have a big stereo spread, but don't really want to hard pan instruments like you'd do with a rock/pop recording. Of course, you might not have much to play with depending on how it was recorded!
Andy