Why become a member? ×

April/May Mix Competition - VOTING COMPLETE!

51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1367187347' post='2062444']
Reacomp has sidechaining capabilities - actually it's all around one of the best vanilla get compressors out there - read the reaper manual on how to set it up, it's very well written IIRC...
[/quote]

I use the Sonitus suite [still DX I believe] that comes with Sonar....so easy to setup

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1367187547' post='2062448']
Did you get my resubmission? I didn't see a reply to the PM yet....
[/quote]

I havent had a chance to download it, but I got the PM, and another one, which I also havent had a chance to downbload, I'll let you know when I have so you can get your cloudy space back for whatever else you might want it for...

:D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1367188756' post='2062461']
I havent had a chance to download it, but I got the PM, and another one, which I also havent had a chance to downbload, I'll let you know when I have so you can get your cloudy space back for whatever else you might want it for...

[/quote]

No worries - I have plenty of space :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1367188756' post='2062461']

[/quote]

It could be mine , if you want to check the volume feel free , I did a radical EQ session and it seemed to enable a noticable hike in volume without busting the Kmeter :huh:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1365587415' post='2041333']
OK, we're halfway through April (well nearly) and have only just chosen some stems, so in the interest of my sanity and everyone elses I've decided we'll run this one through the end of April and start the voting on or around May 15th (5 weeks time) to give everyone a fair crack of the whip.

That way we can leave the poll up for a week or two and choose more stems in time for June.

So the rules this time are as follows:-

[color=#ff0000][size=5]We will run the contest blind again, so do not post any mixes directly into this thread or you will effectively disqualify yourself[/size][/color]. Instead PM me with a link to wherever on the web you have put it (private soundcloud with download enabled has worked very well, dropbox is OK)

If you have the bandwidth do upload a wav (sample rate and bit depth the same as the recording would be best)

Do feel free to talk about what you are finding difficult, and discuss possible solutions - this is not so much a competition as a learning experience for everyone...

[color=#FF0000]Do [b]not[/b] treat this as a mastering exercise[/color]. I would like you to check your level with the K-Meter so it hits 0 dB at most on K-14. No this isn't using the K-Metering system 'properly', its just using a known and defined meter that pretty much everyone has access to via VST or whatever for free (google is your friend here) so that we get the same perceived output level from every mix, or there abouts. If something is wildly out I will endeavour to re-render it at the correct level if I have time, if I dont you may not get added to the poll.

Just install the K-Meter, put it on your Main mix output effects area, set it to K-14 and drop the level of your mix until it never goes over 0dB - simples!

Yes you can use limiters and whatever on the mix buss, but your overall average level[i] must stay at or below that 0dB level throughout the track[/i], which means the harder you hit the limiter the quieter your transients will be compared to the overall level (thats the nature of the k-meter), your level will still be comparable to everyone else's though. Neat....

[size=5]And so onto the stems - you can get them here:-[/size]

[color=#0000cd][size=5][url="http://cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#UncleDad"]http://cambridge-mt....tk.htm#UncleDad[/url][/size][/color]

Yup we are mixing [b]Uncle Dad: 'Who I Am' [/b]which is a nice slice of Country and Western y'all. If this doesn't drive you all loopy then nothing will!

Oh and the stems should be top drawer for this one, so there oght to be no complaints there at all!

Good luck all of you, look forward to hearing your efforts....
[/quote]

I've been advised (or instructed) to throw myself in at the deep end on this thread and get to work on mixing, but what is this K-meter thing? (sorry if that's a stupid question).

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367169186' post='2062058']
Don't worry Lurks! 'Sidechaining' is when you use the ouput of one instrument to control a dyanmic processor attached to another.... hmmm, that's no clearer is it?! :lol: Ok, as an example: you might run the output of a kick drum into the 'sidechain' input of a compressor that's linked up to a bass guitar. So... every time the kick hits, it sends a signal to the compressor that 'ducks' (reduces) the volume of the bass, helping the kick to punch its way through the mix more easily.

That's one common use of side-chaining but there are plenty more. Worth experimenting with, but it's not a [i]vital[/i] skill to learn like EQ'ing (IMO).

PS: I started on the mix yesterday, and can I just say that I'm really liking this track!! Really, it's grown on me lots. I think I might actually be a closet country fan :blink:
[/quote]

Here's a visual example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeE4mjS1BKM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its simple , just download the VST ..... just a thought .. do you have a DAW that doen't do VST ?

or

Download Reaper , then download the VST , it is purely to level out the mixes so that volume is not an influence of the quality.

this is a 'never mind the width , feel the quality' kind of competition :rolleyes:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367365146' post='2064855']
Here's a visual example...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeE4mjS1BKM[/media]
[/quote]

Total overkill , but awesome , next is to maybe introduce some of that skill into one of the comps , when I can use it, I will demonstrate a practical understanding and application , and I fear that bit will take some time :rolleyes:

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1367365235' post='2064856']
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its simple , just download the VST ..... just a thought .. do you have a DAW that doen't do VST ?

or

Download Reaper , then download the VST , it is purely to level out the mixes so that volume is not an influence of the quality.

this is a 'never mind the width , feel the quality' kind of competition :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I have Logic Pro 9... does it do VSTs?

Oh, I have heard of the loudness wars before, and I have to say, i'm all for a quieter mix for sound quality. I always thought Californication by RHCP was mixed badly. It seemed to always be right on the verge of distorting, but apparently that's the way they wanted it.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1367365718' post='2064863']
Total overkill , but awesome , next is to maybe introduce some of that skill into one of the comps , when I can use it, I will demonstrate a practical understanding and application , and I fear that bit will take some time :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I think it's a cool cover. It's a difficult song to cover so well, I reckon.

I fear that logic is waaaayy beyond me, as it sounds a bit like pro , even at 1, never mind 9 :rolleyes:

ed but it doesnt do VST from a quick google .

what that means in the real world , someone who knows sh*t will say :blush:

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1367366245' post='2064869']
I fear that logic is waaaayy beyond me, as it sounds a bit like pro , even at 1, never mind 9 :rolleyes:

ed but it doesnt do VST from a quick google .

what that means in the real world , someone who knows sh*t will say :blush:
[/quote]

Ah, so what do i do now?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367367229' post='2064875']Ah, so what do i do now?[/quote]

Fear not Milty! Lurks is absolutely right that Logic doesn't natively support VST plug-ins... [i]but[/i] it does support AU plug-ins (Audio Units: essentially a Mac-only version of VSTs).

You can download a version of SPAN - a superb and free spectrum analyzer plug-in that includes everything you need to do the K-metering - using the link below:

[url="http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/"]http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/[/url]

(The download links are near the top of the page in a green box).

51m0n here is the man to advise on setting up SPAN as a K-Meter. He's given tips on this earlier in the thread and I'm sure would be happy to help. I can give you some pointers myself too (although I'm a newcomer to K-meter stuff) but not right now as I'm off to bed :D

Oh and welcome aboard mate. Good to have you in the Recording forum!

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367367860' post='2064879']
Fear not Milty! Lurks is absolutely right that Logic doesn't natively support VST plug-ins... [i]but[/i] it does support AU plug-ins (Audio Units: essentially a Mac-only version of VSTs).

You can download a version of SPAN - a superb and free spectrum analyzer plug-in that includes everything you need to do the K-metering - using the link below:

[url="http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/"]http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/[/url]

(The download links are near the top of the page in a green box).

51m0n here is the man to advise on setting up SPAN as a K-Meter. He's given tips on this earlier in the thread and I'm sure would be happy to help. I can give you some pointers myself too (although I'm a newcomer to K-meter stuff) but not right now as I'm off to bed :D

Oh and welcome aboard mate. Good to have you in the Recording forum!
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm off to bed myself when I finish downloading the tracks!

Don't expect too much from me. In fact, expect what I mix to sound completely dreadful. :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367408171' post='2065200']
It doesn't bode well for me that I can't even get the files to open in Logic, does it?
[/quote]

search google and youtube, loads of tutorials for various DAW's around :)

its always the same, i was rubbish at getting round cubase for a couple of years, its only the last 2 years ive really got to grips with DAW's and can work through them quickly.

Reaper is fast become my DAW of choice tho

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1367408414' post='2065204']
search google and youtube, loads of tutorials for various DAW's around :)

its always the same, i was rubbish at getting round cubase for a couple of years, its only the last 2 years ive really got to grips with DAW's and can work through them quickly.

Reaper is fast become my DAW of choice tho
[/quote]

Yeah, i'm checking out YouTube for tutorials currently. Not much luck, suppose i'll be expected to actually read something off Google now :rolleyes:

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1365971518' post='2046818']
Okay, okay; I can take it no longer! My mix is in for this month, and If I never hear this song again it will be too soon!
I have to say the stems were a bit odd this month; to say they had used some fancy mic's they seem to have botched several of the drum tracks to my ear. Anyone else having problems making the cymbals sound natural? And the toms seem a bit dodgy too. A lot of nice sounding 'plinky-plonky' things though, and I really liked the fiddle. Well, who doesn't like a fiddle...?

Edit
Sorry Twigman, just realised you said all these things too!
[/quote]

I managed to get a good sound from the drums I think (maybe that's just my inexperience talking). The cymbals just don't sound like nice cymbals at all to me. Can you make sh*t cymbals sound like good cymbals? If it's possible, it's likely beyond my level of expertise :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367421909' post='2065451']
Quick question - Can we mute certain instruments at certain points in the song or do we have to use the full recordings?
[/quote]

i think that is part of the mix challenge.
if you feel it would sound better go for it :)