Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo Bass 2004 manf' inc Ric case
£1250

warwickhunt

[s]This might seem an odd sale thread as I don't physically have the Ric in my hands but a friend wants to trade his Ric 4003 for two of my basses and I've theoretically agreed to it (dependent upon inspection AND response to this and other sale threads). I've not seen the Ric for a year or so since I last saw his band but I believe it's in good nick, obviously when I have it in my hands tomorrow I'll know better and update accordingly. It comes complete with the original Ric case. If I subsequently find that there is no interest in the Ric at/around this price then I won't be trading (I won't be keeping it).

This picture is of the actual bass. [/s]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I took this bass in part-ex (see above) this afternoon for a couple of my basses on the understanding (and only this understanding) that a BCer categorically wanted this bass and that was after full disclosure of the facts below. I have been subsequently informed tonight (despite the emphatic assurances that their word was their bond and they were good for it) that they have had a change of heart. Absolutely reprehensible IMHO when I made it clear that I was only taking this bass because this person defo wanted the Ric and after disclosure of all details of this bass when this person gave their word that they would take it... I should have known when the person said that they were backing out of a separate deal they were involved in so that they could get my bass. Well that's off my chest![/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]​The following is the verbatim wording sent to the person mentioned above and describes the bass; [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]'As you can see from the pics below, the overall condition is very good, as is the case. There is no worming and any dings, dinks etc aren't through to the wood BUT some of the binding is lifting and the neck pup screws are rusted (with sweat I assume). Now the screws are neither here nor there in my opinion but the binding I'm not 100% happy about; it needs reapplying in a couple of places (between the jack socket and the end of the binding at the bridge and less so between the neck joint and horn. I have contacted a local repair guy who says that he has done dozens of Rics over the years (it isn't an uncommon thing on any instrument with binding) and if it is just a case of reapplying parts of the original binding then it isn't a big job and wouldn't cost more than £50. [/font][/size][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I may have painted this worse than it is but I'd rather be honest (I could have taken it and had the binding done before I mentioned it to you or anyone else LOL). I'm happy with the overall structure and finish of the bass and for a regularly gigged bass it is pretty good condition but the binding is something you need to decide on.'[/font][/size][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font]

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1365173659' post='2036359']
Be-careful, you can fall in love with them.
:gas:
[/quote]

:D Unlikely, I love the aesthetics and sound of them but wouldn't actually gig one even if it was free... :unsure: Not much of a sales pitch! :lol:

No it is a case of that it might be easier for me to sell the Ric than it will be trying to sell the two basses that the guy wants from me, hence I am offering this up for sale literally before the bass hits my sofa! ;)

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1365180315' post='2036503']
Pity it's not for trade I might have something of interest ;-)
[/quote]

It really depends on 'what' as it'd either need to be something that I could flip easily and not lose on the deal or something that I'd like to have a try of. ;)

It sounds as though you have been taken for a mug by this other BC'er John. I am most disappointed to learn that another forum user would see you taking on a bass you didn't want on the understanding that they wanted it, only to change their mind. Quite disgraceful. You would think they would at least take the bass and the relieve you of the burden of selling it on.

That's bad crack, that. Sorry to hear it. Are you going to leave a negative feedback for 'em?

I had someone pull out of buying my amp right at the last minute recently, after I spent forever packing it on Easter weekend when I should have been playing with the kids.

That was bad enough, but that was an amp I already owned...!

I hope you manage to sell it no problem.

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1365387524' post='2038918']
was it yourself that re painted the bass by hand mate?? how does this bass play/sound ??? cheers
[/quote]

The bass plays... like a Ric! :D I personally don't like them inc' the way they play and feel but Ric owners would absolutely detest my Warwicks. However, that was the whole point of me NOT taking the bass in a trade unless someone had agreed to buy it. I can assure you the bass has only ever had one owner and that is the factory finish.

In the interests of full clarity, below is a verbatim message to the previous interested party describing my appraisal of the Ric (please note asterisk to save face for the person and that of their luthier);

'[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi ****. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]OK I'll be as brutal/frank as I can and then summarise. [/font][/color] ;)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've just gone over the bass with a fine tooth comb and I'd already tweaked the truss rods to ensure they are OK; the bass arrived this morning with a high action but turns out that the truss rods weren't even tensioned up as the guy likes a nice high action "for the tone". I tweaked the bass while he was here and he has left it with me so that I can answer any questions that a buyer might have (he took away one of the two basses that I am trading and it scared me how high I had to set the action for him). On tweaking the truss rods (both tensioned up equally, just a bit to get the neck with a bit of relief but if it were my bass I'd likely get it flatter/lower but I'll leave that to you/**) and getting the action back to my kind of levels I also noted that I had to take the bridge adjusters right down but it isn't a problem as the dampers still adjust down further so the strings ring clear (needs new strings IMHO as these seem to be very cheap). [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There is a single 1mm ding in the rear that goes through the paint but it is very small and not really visible from a couple of feet away. A small scuff on the front of the headstock (check the pics I sent) defo not through the paint or really even visible unless tilting in the light. 2 pin head sized dinks on the very tip of the headstock but I'd be amazed if you didn't add to them the first time you were in the vicinity of a drummer's cymbals. What I thought was a 2mm ding on the very back edge of the lower bout of the body actually turned out to be wear from where the lead must have been passed through his strap (does that make sense), it is very slight but smooth and not an impact ding. I have to confess I thought the paint on Rics would be mega thick but the paint is almost nitro-cellulose thin and looks like it will age/relic quite quickly (tilted in the light, the entire bass seems to have visible wood patternation)... saying that, I suppose it has done very well for the last 5-6 years so it must be durable.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As has been mentioned the binding needs looking at but the guy up here assures me it is an easy fix and the kind of work that all luthiers do on a regular basis. I would say that 75% of the binding is fine but the other 25% needs re-fixing. The neck binding is spot on and no issues there. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The frets have loads of meat on them and though they may need a bit of a polish/clean up due to a little discolouration, they are fine. The fingerboard lacquer is undamaged and crack free.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tuners all work with no bent shafts or stiff operation. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So in summary the binding needs sorting but otherwise it is a tidy bass. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Serial number - 40824[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I really appreciate your offer to still pay full price for the bass even though it needs money spending on it but my original price was based on the fact that it would be a 'used' bass with no issues (other than general wear and tear which I think the bass has) and to me that didn't mean that binding was coming away; as such I'll knock £50 off the price and if it costs you slightly more to have a quality luthier like * ****** sort it out, then that can be partially covered by the £50 reduction. If nothing else you can pay him the £50 to set the bass up to your satisfaction. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Crikey that was all a bit long-winded! LOL[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Let me know what you think.'[/font][/color]

[quote name='RandomProddy' timestamp='1365421274' post='2039207']
Good luck selling it - after all that polava I hope you get a good deal!
[/quote]
Cheers. I think my transparency and honesty (and my long-standing on BC) is showing because I do have two interested parties but after the last 'polava' I'm sorry for them but I will be looking for a good deposit VERIFIED in my bank before I proceed, regardless of their standing on BC. :D

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1365528247' post='2040774']
After all that might have been easier to sell the basses you traded lol.

Good luck anyway mate.
[/quote]

You'd think but I'd had no luck over the last few months. :huh:

It was one of those moments where when it was put to me, seemed like a good idea at the time as Rics tend to have a very loyal fan base.