Why become a member? ×

Drop tuning

vmaxblues

Hi guys,

Due to a new singer joining my main band as the previous incumbent retired, there are a group of songs we have to drop a tone, and some of these don't transpose well on standard tuning.

I tuned down one of basses a whole tone and it works well enough, but obviously strings are slacker, and the feel is different, is there any words of wisdom on this one?

Cheers

Stuart

I'm now permanently tuned to D standard/Drop C, it's just better for me. If it's going to be a permanent thing and you've got multiple basses I would dedicate one to D standard, switching between E and D standard a lot is a one way to ticket to a warped neck.

My best tip is get some DR DDT's. They're a bit pricy but there's no better strings for drop tuning. By some engineering witchcraft they don't lose tension in drop tunings, so you can use the same gauge you normally use and they won't be slacker. If you've got a brand you like already, then get a heavier gauge set and set it up properly with them.

I just use heavier gauge strings for tuning down, it's all good! GENERALLY I go up by .005 for every semitone, so in standard tuning the bottom string would be .100 and for D tuning a .110. But a lot of it depends on personal preference and what bass you use :)

All my bases are belonging to drop B then 1+1/2 steps down. There strings with a 'denser?' coil for down tuning, I have not picked any up yet but will be getting some of these from Labella: [url="http://www.labella.com/products/dt54/"]http://www.labella.com/products/dt54/[/url] not sure if gimmick so will try them out soon, thickness seems regular?

+1 for the DDTs. Got a set of 125s on my P-Bass copy (tuned C# F# B E) and the tension's as good as on anything I've played in standard. Find the bottom string a bit excessively hefty though so I'm going to give the 115 set a go. (They need replacing anyway as all the strings have a dent at the 12th fret from where the cat knocked it out of its stand)

I tune A# D# G# C# I did use DR DDT's but they had a nasty habit of rapidly wearing out my frets!!

I now use D' Addario's nickel plated round wounds. 135, 105, 85, 65. i don't suffer any fret wear with these mofo's!

Depending on the severity of your desired tuning, you will more than likely have to adjust your neck and intonation.

[quote name='Bassulike66' timestamp='1365172786' post='2036341']
I tune A# D# G# C# I did use DR DDT's but they had a nasty habit of rapidly wearing out my frets!!

I now use D' Addario's nickel plated round wounds. 135, 105, 85, 65. i don't suffer any fret wear with these mofo's!

Depending on the severity of your desired tuning, you will more than likely have to adjust your neck and intonation.
[/quote]

You've tuned up to A#?! Lightweight!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Had to try drop D tuning for the first time today as the rest of number 2 band wanted to try 'Heart Shaped Box'. Way out of my comfort zone, it got me all flustered and panicky. And grumpy.

But hey ho, all part of the learning curve I guess. I suppose I'll get to grips with it eventually.

They'll be asking me to learn to use a pick next....

I was in a strange band a few years back. Because the guitards use capos a couple of songs were down tuned. The songs we were playing, would not be recognisable by anybody under 95. Trouble is , once I learnt a couple of said songs, they 'd change tuning again.
Foo fighters have lots of odd stuf in their songs. Ok for a 5 string.
What some bass folk do, is have 2 basses. One in standard tuning and one in b e a d . If they are the same make of bass, then I would think it would be a good option.
Then you get some who tune lower than b.......