Why become a member? ×

Ashdown heads

Phil Adams

Sorry, if this has been covered before, could someone post a link please?
Question.....
What are the differences between the MAG range and the ABM range. Or have I got my wires crossed and one is a combo.
Heard people mentioning that Ashdown now import some gear from China, when did this start, and should the Chinese gear be avoided?
Orrrrr, to simplify,
Could somebody recommend me a good Ashdown head please.

Ta awfully

The Mag is the standard range and is all solid state. The ABM range has a valve pre amp which can dirty things up a bit if you like that sort of thing. The MiBass range are their lightweight digital amps. All of the amps come as combos (amp and speakers contained in one cabinet) or separate amp heads and cabs.

They are all good in their own way. Having owned an ABM head and now a MiBass head I can recommend them both. The MiBass is a lot lighter of course. Best buy used as you get more for your money.

I'm not a big fan of Ashdown cabs though as they can be a bit muffled.

Edited by gjones

I would also add that the class-D (Mibass etc) power section is thought by many people not to have the authority of the more traditional solid state power amps of the MAG, ABM and Spyder series amps.

The Chines build quality seems to be pretty good in general, although of course there will be exceptions, as with any mass-built item.

The very best Ashdown head on the market, globally, at the moment is my Spyder 550 in the Amps for Sale section !

I think you get a few more perks from the ABM range compared to the Mag range (Hence a little more expensive) things like a compressor, valve grind, sub octave etc.. and a footswitch to control it all. ABM's go to higher wattage as well, 2000watt is the highest I have seen!! Monstor!

The difference between the MAG and ABM gets less and less each iteration. Now the latest MAG Evo 3 even has footswitchable overdrive (although not a valve like the ABM has), and has had a compressor and sub octave like the ABM for a few years. The MAG EQ is 5 band, the ABM is 7 band. ABM also has a mute switch and a pre/post DI switch, together with dual speakon/jack speaker connectors. MAG only has jack. ABM also has a line in to mix in an mp3 player or whatever, as well as a 4 way footswitch for Valve, EQ, Compressor and Sub octave.

The latest ABMs now have Class D power amp sections, which has increased the power output and reduced the weight. This could be a good or bad thing, but I've not yet had the opportunity to try one of the new ABM1000's so cannot really say either way. However my experience of the class D MiBass left me wanting. Of course, reduced weight is always welcome.

I reckon the new MAG Evo3 600 is a bit of a bargain to be honest. Yes it's made in PRC, but so is a lot of gear and that doesn't necessarily make it bad - my Chinese made LB30 is a storming piece of kit. I miss my old UK MAG600 - I should never have sold it. Seller's remorse.

One thing that is constantly confusing with Ashdown is their power ratings. The MAG 600 and ABM 500 both use the same output stage, rated at 575 watts. They only differ in the pre-amp and some of the other niceties mentioned above.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1365114339' post='2035682']
I hope Ashdown don't start making all the ABM range with class D power stages eventually. Part of what makes the ABM huge sound is the power stage transformer. I haven't tried the class D ABM yet but I fear that it might lack something like a lot of other Class D amps do.
[/quote]
Yeah those were my thoughts too. Perhaps the ABM500 will be reborn with the class D output stage from the mibass so they can keep a lower price model, and the 1000 watt version stays up near just as many pounds sterling.

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1365186113' post='2036595']
I'm not quite getting this. I had a Mag head (in fact i still do) and it has a pre-valve, grind function and subbass. Am I misremembering or do I own a Mag?
[/quote]
Well if you still have it, pop a pic up here and hopefully we can identify it correctly.

Does seem like some people love them and others don't. I've got an ABM500 head at the present but have also has an ABM300 1x15 combo which I traded on here. Wish I hadn't - was a great amp and in great condition. Didn't realise how good it was until I changed it for a head and cab set-up. The ABM500 is great too but the 1x15 cabs are only rated at 300w and the head just exceeds this at 8 ohms so you need to be careful!!

I have a MAG300 head that I bought around 2002/3 and it`s still doing the biz. It is one of the British ones and it was in a combo to start with. Here`s a review of the combo.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_z0mDKMaAY[/media]

Edited by jezzaboy

I own an ABM 500 II and I love it.

I started using it in my old punk band but use it now for more hard rock.

It can get some quite heavy sounds if messed about with, I used mine with an Ampeg HLF 4X10 and it sounds immense.

If you want to spend some serious money you can get their all valve stuff. BTA 400 is an example. I haven't heard one of these though.