Why become a member? ×

What would you run?

FuNkShUi

My current set up is all MarkBass. But ive recently thought about changing my amp.
I have a Little MKII, along with a 151 and a 102 traveller cab.
Just wanted to see the opinions on here, as to what you'd run with this combo of speakers if you had the choice......

If you're not enjoying the LMII, then perhaps the opposite sort of tone may attract you. Am upper mid-present and "barky" tone from a GK MB500 maybe. Or a very hi-fi bright tone from a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 may be more to your taste. There's a lovely GK Fusion 550 in the classifieds at the moment that will be very different to the LMII. Great amp too !
It's hard to know what you don't like about the LMII without more info.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1364479403' post='2027035']
JTUK what is it you dont like about the cabs if you dont mind me asking?
[/quote]

Always, ALWAYS hear a dull thud from them... and this is also the sound I hear other players get... without exception, which is my downer on Markbass.
I think it sounds cheap and nasty ...not that I think Markbass are cheap and nasty, in terms of build, but..????
I can't recall a time when I haven't hear that dullness. It is a low mid spongey sound...and seems to be a characteristic
from the 15's, 12's and even 10's. The cabs do not seem to project.
I am not a fan of 15's and not so entirely convinced by 12's as they are a middle ground between 15 and 10's that doesn't really come off..but
that is another thread. Even the 10's don't gtet off scot-free.

I believe Markbass to be decent enough..well made and decent spec, but the cabs just sound lacking in any nice sort of dynamic.
Even when we run a kick drum thru a 102 combo, it has that dullness there.

I just think that the sound does not add up to my ears... sorry.

These are a few disconnected thoughts.

I've heard 2 players sound great through an LM2 and 2 Standard 102HF cabs. Made me realise why so many people like MB rigs.

I'm not sure where you go from an LM2. All my amp upgrade suggestions might not sound so good through MB cabs.

For amp upgrades I'd check out the Genz 9.2, Aguilar TH500 and a Thunderfunk, if you can find one.

Owen is currently selling a Thunderfunk TFB750. This is what I use.

WOT has an Aguilar AG500 SC for sale. I like the sound of Aguilar gear.

You don't specify a budget, so I'll go the whole hog and suggest that you keep your amp and look at the Bergantino CN212 when BassDIrect get them in next month. It would make an amazing rig with your amp and could be the last cab you buy.

That low-mid thump is exactly what I like about Markbass cabs! It sounds like quality to me. [size=4]I just can't imagine what would sound better through Markbass cabs than a Little Mark! What is it about the Little Mark that you don't like?[/size]

[size=4]If perhaps you're thinking it sounds a bit clean, then there are loads of threads on here about how to warm it up![/size]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364494977' post='2027337']
My Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 is awesome, both channels are ace and I can't decide which I prefer but I don't have to as its just a click of the footswitch to change channels :D
[/quote]

Yep, me too.
I get to use it in anger tomorrow night for the first time :-)

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1364520047' post='2027762']

Yep, me too.
I get to use it in anger tomorrow night for the first time :-)
[/quote]
I purchased mine least year then broke my wrist, the same day! I only used mine for it's first proper gig with the 2x12T last weekend although we have had lots of full scale practices. It was very useful having one channel set up for the electric up right and the other for the stingrays :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364493904' post='2027315']

You don't specify a budget, so I'll go the whole hog and suggest that you keep your amp and look at the Bergantino CN212 when BassDIrect get them in next month. It would make an amazing rig with your amp and could be the last cab you buy.
[/quote]
+1, nothing wrong with that head and not a lot to gain by swapping it unless you run at 8ohm a lot in which case it does struggle for power.
Cn212 will take the power and will transform your sound

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364544057' post='2027839']

I purchased mine least year then broke my wrist, the same day! I only used mine for it's first proper gig with the 2x12T last weekend although we have had lots of full scale practices. It was very useful having one channel set up for the electric up right and the other for the stingrays :)
[/quote]

Oh, that's a nightmare about your wrist.
I'm using mine with a Boogie 2x12T and my Stingray 5, it sounds insane.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/6741-funkshui/"][color="#282828"]FuNkShUi[/color][/url] , if you wanted to come down to mine to do the agreed swap of our basses, you could bring your gear and try out my TC RH450 and Baer cabs. Oh and my Ashdown Spyder 550. If you wanted to do that I'd put the courier costs it would have cost me to send the bass to you towards your fuel.

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1364547083' post='2027893']
Oh, that's a nightmare about your wrist.
I'm using mine with a Boogie 2x12T and my Stingray 5, it sounds insane.
[/quote]
A fine set up there Sir :D Ray5, loads of power a pair of 12's and a tweeter whats not to like? :lol:

FWIW I have never heard a bad Berg cab either.

Lot of experience and help on here, so thank you for that. I think ill try and see if i can have a go of a bergantino Cn212 somewhere.
I cant put a finger on what it is thats made me think about changing, but currently i find myself not loving the sound that i used to.
Ill try a few things out. Thanks again