Why become a member? ×

How much should we charge?

jonunders

[quote name='jonunders' timestamp='1364244629' post='2023823']
This will be our first time playing at a wedding but were not crap
[/quote]

Not sure it sounds like you know what the whole deal is... if you want the gig/date, go for £400, if you aren't fussed, £600.
You can trim or add depending on the time you will actually have to commit on the gig..
as some peole want the band set up by x..but the music doesn't/can't start until Y..so 3 hours or so sitting around possibly.
You may need a dress code..and you may need to provide background music etc etc .

If it were me, I'd quote for a set amount of hours on site and 2 x1hrs of music...

You must remember, the wedding owns you for the whole day unless you agree otherwise. Another question is are they friends of the band, I would say £600, if they are not but you like them or are trying to break into the scene £800 if you don't want the gig to badly then price yourselves at £1200. Still only £200 for a whole days work and a whole lotta nerves. Take one spare of everything!!!!

When we started my function band, we went out for £600 - £800 as a 5 piece playing 1 set of 45mins and 1 of an hour.

These days, 6 years and a load of gigs further on, we go out as a 4 piece playing 3 x 40mins plus encores for £1150, plus travel if it's more than 50 miles away.

Less than £100 a man seems too cheap to me, so somewhere from £600 up?

[quote name='4 candles' timestamp='1364419865' post='2026360']
if you have a daytime job then you should do it for free!!! or enough to cover your petrol and sandwich because you enjoy it, and you have a source of income
and leave the paid gigs to us guys who NEED the money, who do this to pay the bills and put roof over head
[/quote]

I am not sure how doing a wedding for free will provide more paid work for you guys who need the money :huh:

[quote name='4 candles' timestamp='1364419865' post='2026360']
if you have a daytime job then you should do it for free!!! or enough to cover your petrol and sandwich because you enjoy it, and you have a source of income
and leave the paid gigs to us guys who NEED the money, who do this to pay the bills and put roof over head
[/quote]

I think you'd find the wolrd works different to this. If wedding organisers find that bands "do it for free" why would they ever pay again?
Surely they will start to keep a list of FOC-bands and they will be the only ones who get any work.

I think your plea should be:
"If you have a full time paid job, PLEASE don't cheapen our trade by undercutting us and taking all the work".

Edited by Grangur

Why is it that the general consensus seems to be that a function band should be charging in the region of £800 whereas a
pub band should be charging around half that, or probably less?

And if such a wide difference is OK, then what's so wrong about bands playing for free if they're happy to do so?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1364552293' post='2027996']
Why is it that the general consensus seems to be that a function band should be charging in the region of £800 whereas a
pub band should be charging around half that, or probably less?

And if such a wide difference is OK, then what's so wrong about bands playing for free if they're happy to do so?
[/quote]

Our show is different for venues... pubs are throwaway gigs and lost leaders.
A venue will possibly demand a sound check in the early evening.

Weddings aren't really a gig we want so we charge accordingly. £800-1000.
Parties have mates rates of £550..and others from £750.

For an extra special show we will draft in guests and charge accordingly.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1364246205' post='2023869']
But seriously, have a look at this band's website ....... may give you some ideas

[url="http://www.jukeboxfunctionband.com/"]http://www.jukeboxfunctionband.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting that you picked these guys up, I used to live with the drummer. Just to give you an idea I got offered to dep for them last summer for £250.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1364553498' post='2028025']
Our show is different for venues... pubs are throwaway gigs and lost leaders.
A venue will possibly demand a sound check in the early evening.
[/quote]

I wonder if that's a general view here?

Is your venue show different in terms of length or type of music? I can understand why time would be a factor in the price, but not so much the type of music.

I wonder if it's also because a venue gig is more likely to be a special ocassion of some sort and the organisers have a decent budget and want to put on a great event, whereas pub landlords may just want to pay as little as possible because their main interest is selling beer, not necessarily music per se.

I don't know if it is a general view on here, but I think it should be.

We get asked to play Beer Festivals ( for example ) and we quote a price that is nowhere near a pub fee.
The organiser may well cough a bit and say we don't get that in a pub..and that much is true but
we feel we can step up on a larger stage and so we aren't really the same band even in playing terms..
I think this is a selling point that we have... if the budget allows, we may well bring in BV's and horns
as well, and we will put in songs especially for them. To do this actually costs us..as the wage bill
has to spread further but it accentuates the difference...and we like to do it so we live with that..

The show will be a max of 2 hrs...the same as any other gig we do... but we will bring in songs for the 'guests'

We never think of ourselves as a pub band as they do not constitute even 50% of our gigs .. we only do pubs that
work for us... as in, we like the pub and LL, and we only have 3 regular pubs like that ... and we stand a good chance to pick up these other gigs.
We regard pubs as a lost leader/showcase type gig... they are certainly too much work for the money, so they have to have other attracttions..

I see too many bands round here do a pub set on a bigger stage and they wonder why they get invited to do the 'charity' Beer Fests..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1364653767' post='2029266']
We regard pubs as a lost leader/showcase type gig... they are certainly too much work for the money, so they have to have other attracttions..
[/quote]

Sounds like pub-vs-venue is the border between being a pocket-money/hobby band where another source of income is essential and a truly pro band.

Being firmly in the 'hobby band' camp, it's an interesting insight, but it's not a transition I'm ever likely to make so I have to rely on those 'other attractions' because making money certainly isn't one for us.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1364654316' post='2029276']
Sounds like pub-vs-venue is the border between being a pocket-money/hobby band where another source of income is essential and a truly pro band.

Being firmly in the 'hobby band' camp, it's an interesting insight, but it's not a transition I'm ever likely to make so I have to rely on those 'other attractions' because making money certainly isn't one for us.
[/quote]

It is just about positioning yourself in the market.
There are plenty of ex names doing the rounds round here and they need to ..or rather do..call on a other ex names. Even in the 1st instance, it is a selling point,
as these names want/need a certain fee from a gig. This puts them out of reach for most pubs..and even those that can take the numbers, will have to have a door charge.
This means a pub might need to sell over 100 tickets at £7.50 to get close to being able to pay the band.
The band may need/have a few useful local players ( without a name) to be able to function.
The names might take £150 each..and the other guys the rest... and this is the way of the world. The non-names might think there is great kudos playing with a 'name'
and they might benefit from the better type gigs. This falls down when the 'name' gets a 'tour' going though... when the locals lose the gig, mostly.

Anyway, the point is, how you position what you are selling...and the 200-400 capacity venue is within the realms of a local band to sell tickets and bag £750-1000 plus per gig.
The easy option is to do weddings or functions for that sort of money and there is nothing wrong in that...but it depends how you see your band and can you justify the fees.
The first few attempts will tell you if people agree with your 'valuation' :lol::lol;

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1364246205' post='2023869']
But seriously, have a look at this band's website ....... may give you some ideas

[url="http://www.jukeboxfunctionband.com/"]http://www.jukeboxfunctionband.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Blimey. They were clearly paying attention during the 'Business Development' module of their ACM/BIMM/LIM course. As impressive as the website is, sadly I find the actual musical part of their product very limp and sterile. As the Jam lyric goes, 'the public wants what the public gets'.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1364673095' post='2029605']
Blimey. They were clearly paying attention during the 'Business Development' module of their ACM/BIMM/LIM course. As impressive as the website is, sadly I find the actual musical part of their product very limp and sterile. As the Jam lyric goes, 'the public wants what the public gets'.
[/quote]

Either that or they've been looking at how wedding photographers work/charge these days.

It's a very good, up front approach. You just have to be sure to deliver on the package.

Steve